MIDI Mapping a XY pad

So I’ve recently acquired a (TADAAA.wav) KORG nanoPad2
and it’s really awesome.

But in renoise, mapping the XY pad, it’s really almost impossible! I know there was another topic about this but with no exact answers… Do I have to Duplex the device? Can I Duplex only the XY pad part?

(The problem is, when midimap mode is on, I have to be very secure to map e.g. only the vertical or the horizontal axis, it’s no fun, and if I manage to move only the vertical, I still have to map another control and move only horizontally without moving vertically…)

You can edit the song.xml by hand if there is no decent mode of the nanoPad2 to get around the fact certain DAWs (and Renoise is far from alone in this!) only have MIDI Learn for setting up mappings.

Direct input of CCs to control parameters has been much requested and I can’t believe it would be one of the harder things to implement!

Would this be scriptable at all??

Lol, I actually heard that sound inside my head while reading

In this particular case, you probably want to use the approach suggested by kazakore, but perhaps make it a MIDI mapped DSP chain. As mappings are saved along with the chain, this is really more reusable
To manually add MIDI mappings to the XYPad device, edit this XML snippet to your liking (I’ve specified CC #5 and #6, which can easily be changed)

Click to view contents <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

true

false

Init

false

true

Mixer

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

true

true

true

Init

true

true

true

false

Mixer and Device

Controllers

Absolute 7 bit

Trigger

Mixer and Device

Controllers

Absolute 7 bit

Trigger

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Linear

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Linear

Yep, since a few versions back Duplex have gotten the ability to pass unhandled messages to Renoise, so using the XY Pad along with standard mappings is an option too.

Never knew that. Very nice tip and one worth remembering :)