Minihost Awesome FL Freebie in Beta

I just installed the 64bit version of minihost, Renoise throws this error when I try to load it:

"Ouch. The VST plugin ‘Image-Line: IL Minihost Modular (from Image-Line)’ crashed in VST event/function: ‘Dispatch’, Thread: ‘GUI’

IMPORTANT: This is a fatal error. Please save the current document under a !new! name to prevent losing important data. Renoise will silently ignore any following errors from this plug-in.

DO NOT IGNORE THIS ERROR; DO NOT CONTINUE USING THE PLUGIN. THIS CAN DESTROY YOUR SONG OR CAUSE OTHER RANDOM CRASHES AND PROBLEMS!

It’s most likely that this is a bug in the VST plugin, so please report this problem to the authors of this plugin in order to get the problem fixed!"

There was a time where sequencers were instable beyond bearable levels. That made you drop 'm pretty fast.
Cubase was a two-days endeavor and after having lost two mediocre post productions (getting multiple tracks correctly synchronized after recording and then figure out your own pace wasn’t tight enough) during a few incredible crashes, i gave up on it.
That was 18 years ago. In 2001, when i got a light edition along with my midi keyboard, i tried to go for it again in the hope lots of stuff improved, well, lots of stuff did improved, but unfortunately still not the crashing part.
You quit trying eventually.

Yeah, if you wanted to (or could only afford to) be ITB then for a long time trackers were the only way to do sampling and sequencing without having to buy hardware samplers. I didn’t even consider conventional sequencers seriously until around 2000 when VSTi’s started to become popular.

why did i espect this? :wacko:/> (and now try it in ableton…)

Hope they’ll eventually add the cool stuff to the piano roll-- quantize/arp/chop tricks. Seems like it’s just a multisampler with a piano roll right now. Really cool that they’re developing this though AND giving it way. Props.

FL isn’t other sequencers, it has a very non-standard workflow compared to cubase and it’s clones. It’s pretty easy to write off mainstream sequencers in favor of trackers if you only try a few of them, particularly where FL wasn’t taken seriously until more recently. I’ve tried a few other programs like reaper, podium, and reason and I usually come away feeling like they’re borderline unusable compared to trackers or FL. It’s also pretty much the only DAW that has gotten the piano roll right, so much so that gol’s recent attempts at improving it are making it worse(not much left to improve)

Being an FL and Renoise user I like that this and Redux are approaching in the same time period, if I can get the best of both DAWs in one somehow that would be amazing

It seems pretty cool so far, but it doesn’t seem to have plugin delay compensation, or any way of panning audio…hopefully that gets added.

Haha…instead you can use some fancy sequencer plug in ;)

Anyone else getting this error when using Minihost?

I was goingto say something down the line like:

Too each his own.
or,
Every artist works with the pensils and canvas he or she prefers.

But actually dblue’s comment sums it up quite nicely.

I’m not judging. I use Live way more often than Renoise these days, have to do a lot of post-work in Pro Tools and I would love to try/buy Nuendo but it’s just way too damn expensive :lol:/>

For some reason Renoise doesn’t recognize the plugin and it doesn’t show up in the VST list, tried rescanning etc. Anybody else has this problem? (On Win7/64 b5)

Working just fine here on Win8 64-bit, with Renoise 3.0b5 32-bit. I didn’t try with Renoise 64-bit yet, as I don’t usually keep it installed on my home machine.

Ok, got it to work. Combining this with the forthcoming Redux would actually be very nice!

On a sidenote, I got the same crash as Thalamus.

x64 minhost doesnt work on x64 renoise while the x32 version of the minihost does. the x64 version of the minihost also crashes on ableton.

edit: 90% of all plugins are crashing while i try to use them in minihost x32 (on x64 renoise)…well x64 plugins must crash then…minihost is unusable for x64 atm!

I’m using the x32 version of Minihost on x32 Renoise in Win7/64, but thanks for the info anyway! Also, it’s still a beta.

Any suggestions of such a piano roll plugin?

Interesting … Why don’t you use Renoise 64bit? Is it because you mainly use 32bit plugins and don’t want the overhead of bridging?

It’s not so much about avoiding the overhead, because I find that to be pretty insignificant in general. It’s more about avoiding the slight awkwardness of working with bridged plugins – the slightly wonky GUI behaviour, the inability of bridged plugins to communicate or send signals between each other, and so on. Many of my favourite plugins are old freebies that are only available in 32-bit, so it’s simply more comfortable for me to work natively with 32-bit at the moment.