Mixer Level- / Amplitude-Meters wrong?

Mixer Level- / Amplitude Meters always indicate levels higher than the actual amplitude is - or require a dedicated scale.

Edit: Slider ranges from -X(selectable) to +3db, but Meter ranges from -X to +/-0db. Instead both should have the same range (-X to +3db)

Beside that a clipping indicator (simple LED) would be nice, which could be placed right of the Volume Control, right below the Level Meter of the Out-Mixer.

The normal tracks don’t have a clipping indicator since they never clip (32-bit overhead byte takes care no info gets lost). But i could appreciate a db-threshold indicator where one can manually set the db-value the indicator should lit up on.

I don’t see any amplitude meters at all, how can they be wrong? Am I missing something? AFAIK there’s only one in the master track where you can see the peak levels in dB, which is accurate.

Instead of a clipping indicator, I’d much rather have peak level readouts in the individual tracks.

The metres in the mixer calculate their values in some undisclosed different way than the peak meter in the master track, so can’t quite call it wrong. The scale however is slightly offset and at different values will either be off by up to ~3db or spot on.

Why would a mixer use different kinds of meters for the exactly same purpose, the exactly same input and the exactly same output? That doesn’t make any sense at all. There is no difference in track meters and master track meters. If you want reliable measurements, create a 2 byte pulse sample with full amplitude and play it on hold on its root key. This will provide a signal with a permant maxed out amplitude. Turn off artificial headroom, as your measurements otherwise might become nonsense. There goes the difference between master track meters and input track meters.

Measuring this signal then, the meters on tracks and master track to me show the exactly same “wrong” results. At least “wrong”, when the meters are supposed to have the same scale as the channel sliders next to them have. While that atm indeed seems to not be the case. The meter’s scale obviously ranges from -inf to 0 db, while the slider ranges from -inf to +3db. It’s that simple.

this is what I am talking about:
http://i.imgur.com/dm1NNwQ.png

This seems to be a misunderstanding then. I’m talking about the level meters within the mixer (turned on/off as “Volume Meters” at the right bottom side of your Mixer panel). However, the Meter you posted is using the exactly same “wrong” scale. The misbehavior of the meter is just a matter of the by +3db extended scale of the volume slider.

I first thought, you were joking. But maybe you turned them off by accident!? Hope you found them now. Mixing without meters for sure is a pain in the a… :)

Yeah frankly I wasn’t :P I thought about the green volume meters too but I’ve chosen to ignore them (for evaluating peak levels that is) for a while so yeah. For me I just think of the fader and meter levels independently. I assume the -3, -12 etc. on the left side being indicators for the faders and the actual green displays on the right side running independently showing off some weird abstract gain level which I never managed to grasp fully. And they are also very tiny so if you work with say a -10 db headroom the levels in the meters won’t scale in a decent way and pretty much just disappear. So I’ve stopped trying to measure that. I just put a span or something on if I want to see the peak levels in dB. Unless there’s a spot that displays the ACTUAL peak levels.

I’m failing a bit at the English language here but hope I’ve got you right and I’ve made sense myself.

Btw did you guys try out changing the scaling of the meters? Via right clicking the volume meters? That also throws everything quite off.

I totally didn’t remember there was a variable range/scaling. I always used Waves L1 to measure reliable. But since I can’t work with it anymore, measuring became quite painful again. One more reason to get this fixed somehow. While I of course agree, it would be even more helpful to have numeric values of peaks displayed somewhere and on top the amplitude meters’ height could be scalable.