Modular Synths anyone?

Yup, if you are into super-fast LFO’s what you say makes sense.
According to the VCV rack docu, the LFOs should have the same “update rate” as the VCOs:

LFO-1 & LFO-2

A low frequency oscillator is a voltage-controlled oscillator that is designed to oscillate at lower frequencies than audio rates. LFO-1 and LFO-2 are nearly identical to VCO-1 and VCO-2, with a few differences.

The range of the frequency knob is much lower than VCO-1/2, ranging from one oscillation roughly every 4 minutes to 1000 Hz.

Which i definitely am.

You ever dip into the hardware realm??asides from the nord.Although I’m interested in the nord modular too, I remember seeing it ages ago when I was first starting or around that time anyways people were always talking about it

“super-fast LFO” - somewhat of an oxymoron. Surely an LFO is just an O by the time it’s in audio rate.

1 Like

Irrelevant really, seems as they perform this function anyway no matter what name they have.The future retro transient plus I’m most excited for, that thing is a beast so is the Hyperion processor I might keep it in my build

It’s not irrelevant, analogue LFOs do not need to track CV control as well as proper audio rate oscs, therefore the design can be quite different. A well designed audio osc should be able to do infrasound ranges, but an LFO cannot be expected to play in tune at any range.

Start small, you might hate it.

Modular is fun…ish but it’s annoying as well.

1. the “sound” as you said isn’t that much of a gap (if at all). And the fact you have digital effects and oscillators makes it even less of an argument. Sound isn’t a valid reason to get a modular system since 2005. The workflow, the controls, the weirdness… these are valid reasons.

2. the absence of preset and the need to rebuild the basic blocks every time is really annoying… It is fun on the spot, but getting stuffs done with modular requires a hell lot of discipline

3. patching is fun… and not fun at all at the same time. It’s playful, a lot of happy accidents happen. But when a patch doesn’t make a sound because you plugged one of the bazillion cables in the wrong hole (or one is faulty)… you can easily waste hours following aaaaaall the signal paths for one stupid mistake.

4. It. Is. Really. FUCKING. Expensive. I mean… you can have a full fledge analog synth for the price of a single module (for real: you can get a Dave Smith Tetra (half a prophet 8) on the used market for the price of your average boutique dual oscillator module).

So, I’d say, grab a Mother 32 and a dreadbox Erebus 3, or a 0-coast or a Pittsburg semi modular. They will remove the hassle of the “basic patching” (VCO to VCA to Filter…) while providing all the fun of the modular world. If you get em used, the resale value will stay the same, so no risk.

Try it for a while. Make songs with modular. See if it’s your jist or not…

Don’t get a loan for a complete modular system… just don’t. You might resell it all in a couple of months and lose tons of money.

I insist: You may very well REALLY not like it (there’s a reason why people were happy to throw it all through the window in the 80s and 90s : it IS a hassle and digital IS way more convenient).

IF and only IF you like it and your awake your inner Alessendro Cortini, grab ONE module at a time, get them used (so you can sell them if you don’t like them without losing money), learn each module, ONE AT A TIME. Buy stuffs when you face limitations you can’t find a workaround for, otherwise you’ll be overwhelmed pretty fast, buy duplicates and underuse everything.

1 Like

Thanks dude that’s helpful, I should also point out that I have no intention on sequencing tracks or anything like it, I will be mostly using it as essentially a sound machine for samples.No interest at all in using it like that.I don’t think I’ll have to worry about capturing a particular sound too much.

This is the response i wish i could have written. Perfect. Agree 100%.

1 Like

This was used as an example
Replace the lfo with a looped env running at audio rate or an osc , the update rate ( which some call control rate , the rate at which the modulation signa is updated ) is still relevant .

1 Like

Contemplating about building a small euroack system , some west coast stuff , make noise
Would love to have a full blown verbos system , but phew …it’s mighty expensive

1 Like

It’s alotta HP but id prolly start out witha Neutron (with cloth stackable cables) if i were to go modular.
Oh, BTW noticed there are some CHEAP cases on ETSY too.

1 Like

I have a Behringer Neutron and Make-Noise 0-cost.

I think this fit into the hybrid model of synths.

What I like is that it’s physical hands-on, which leads me to think differently than using software. I like the semi-random factors that come up, how things are often just slightly off but in an interesting way.

But I don’t need a whole slew of additional modules to make use of these two.

It’s plausible that I could get the same sounds from software; I’ve not tried. But I’m skeptical.

Maybe it’s some placebo thing going, but I really enjoy these things and I like playing around, working out arbitrary patches, discovering new stuff.

Often when I get some interesting sound coming out I’ll record some stuff and then use it as samples in Renoise.

2 Likes

Yeah neutron looks cool.Never would of thought of etsy, cheers.