Modular Synths anyone?

Start small, you might hate it.

Modular is fun…ish but it’s annoying as well.

1. the “sound” as you said isn’t that much of a gap (if at all). And the fact you have digital effects and oscillators makes it even less of an argument. Sound isn’t a valid reason to get a modular system since 2005. The workflow, the controls, the weirdness… these are valid reasons.

2. the absence of preset and the need to rebuild the basic blocks every time is really annoying… It is fun on the spot, but getting stuffs done with modular requires a hell lot of discipline

3. patching is fun… and not fun at all at the same time. It’s playful, a lot of happy accidents happen. But when a patch doesn’t make a sound because you plugged one of the bazillion cables in the wrong hole (or one is faulty)… you can easily waste hours following aaaaaall the signal paths for one stupid mistake.

4. It. Is. Really. FUCKING. Expensive. I mean… you can have a full fledge analog synth for the price of a single module (for real: you can get a Dave Smith Tetra (half a prophet 8) on the used market for the price of your average boutique dual oscillator module).

So, I’d say, grab a Mother 32 and a dreadbox Erebus 3, or a 0-coast or a Pittsburg semi modular. They will remove the hassle of the “basic patching” (VCO to VCA to Filter…) while providing all the fun of the modular world. If you get em used, the resale value will stay the same, so no risk.

Try it for a while. Make songs with modular. See if it’s your jist or not…

Don’t get a loan for a complete modular system… just don’t. You might resell it all in a couple of months and lose tons of money.

I insist: You may very well REALLY not like it (there’s a reason why people were happy to throw it all through the window in the 80s and 90s : it IS a hassle and digital IS way more convenient).

IF and only IF you like it and your awake your inner Alessendro Cortini, grab ONE module at a time, get them used (so you can sell them if you don’t like them without losing money), learn each module, ONE AT A TIME. Buy stuffs when you face limitations you can’t find a workaround for, otherwise you’ll be overwhelmed pretty fast, buy duplicates and underuse everything.

2 Likes

Thanks dude that’s helpful, I should also point out that I have no intention on sequencing tracks or anything like it, I will be mostly using it as essentially a sound machine for samples.No interest at all in using it like that.I don’t think I’ll have to worry about capturing a particular sound too much.

This was used as an example
Replace the lfo with a looped env running at audio rate or an osc , the update rate ( which some call control rate , the rate at which the modulation signa is updated ) is still relevant .

1 Like

Contemplating about building a small euroack system , some west coast stuff , make noise
Would love to have a full blown verbos system , but phew …it’s mighty expensive

1 Like

It’s alotta HP but id prolly start out witha Neutron (with cloth stackable cables) if i were to go modular.
Oh, BTW noticed there are some CHEAP cases on ETSY too.

1 Like

I have a Behringer Neutron and Make-Noise 0-cost.

I think this fit into the hybrid model of synths.

What I like is that it’s physical hands-on, which leads me to think differently than using software. I like the semi-random factors that come up, how things are often just slightly off but in an interesting way.

But I don’t need a whole slew of additional modules to make use of these two.

It’s plausible that I could get the same sounds from software; I’ve not tried. But I’m skeptical.

Maybe it’s some placebo thing going, but I really enjoy these things and I like playing around, working out arbitrary patches, discovering new stuff.

Often when I get some interesting sound coming out I’ll record some stuff and then use it as samples in Renoise.

3 Likes
1 Like

Yeah neutron looks cool.Never would of thought of etsy, cheers.

I also have a Neutron. And I love it! It is a lot of fun to mess around with. It sounds great and the patch bay is neatly organized. Makes it easy to see what you’re doing. Like James Britt said, the hands-on approach is fantastic. And yields different results than software. That said, I hardly use it. And then mostly as a sample creation source.

A thing I run into is that I don’t have enough outboard gear / modules. I don’t have fancy delays or lush reverbs. So I run it back into the computer for that. Ideally I’d let my performance be shaped by how the effects behave. But that is bleeping hard. Because there all kinds of latency issues. Syncing stuff to the daw can be a total nightmare.

I don’t want to discourage anyone from entering into the modular world. Just ask yourself what you want to achieve with your system. And is that worth the price of admission?

1 Like

Ha! I feel you.

I’ve resorted to using some guitar pedals, especially my Zoom MS50G. It has scores of effects (all software based) and you can design your own internal FX chains.

One cool thing is that you can use MIDI-over-USB to change the current fx chain on the MS50G, so I can send CC (I think) messages from Renoise at different points to alter the sound of hardware synths using the Zoom.

One day I’ll finish building a MIDI-to-CV thing so I can alter the Neutron and 0-Coast from Renoise directly.

2 Likes

I was right with you indulging the desire for hardware, but with this as the stated aim I would seriously implore you to rethink. I have no skin in the game, your money is your money and ultimately I don’t give a shit what anybody else spends their money on. Just my view - you’re planning to spend a lot to just sample it? I would highly recommend a Moog Grandmother, modular build, lots of patching to be done - audio rate LFOs, good resale value, it’s a playable instrument as well as being modular.

But it’s your cash - upload pics when you set it all up.

That’s how i work dude.I only work with samples when arranging.Although i may use multiple hardware synths and effects, these are all ultimately sampled for use in renoise or whatever DAW i may be using.In the time that i posted this i have bought a moog grandmother,behringer neutron and a boss sp202.However i will still build my rack,more sure now than ever,cant wait to get started.

https://soundcloud.com/sick_puppy7/d3l4txoej4nh

Here’s what my music sounds like if anyone cares.Heavy use of DAT and Amiga.

3 Likes

good stuff :badteethslayer:

1 Like

If a VST coder could make a true Amiga sound VST “emulator”,this VST would sell like hot cakes🤑

1 Like

The whole concept of taking out a loan to buy a synth is mind blowing but brilliant. Good luck to you!

1 Like

Try VCVRack before…the sound is astounding,I promise

I tried it 10 minutes…the bass are WOW…Monster bass

If you buy a good RYZEN cpu and good DAC,You will obtain a monster…for a fraction of price

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-K5-AK4493EQ-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B07WT7TYWY

THE KING
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-with-volume/rme-adi-2-fs-balanced-dac-headphone-amplifier-ak4493-32bit-768khz-dsd256-black-p-14174.html

1 Like

How are the Grandmother and Neutron working out for you? How do you end up using them?

Regarding ???. You have such lovely violent sound! I dig it! I think I’ve told you this before but it bears repeating. Your track “Nigro” actually convinced me to try & buy Renoise. Never managed to get anything quite as abrasive out of Renoise. Though I love the sound of it. Guess I just don’t have it in me. Anyway, Renoise is still my DAW of choice. So thanks for your part of that.

1 Like

That is a really neat idea actually. Using a touch screen for VCVrack.