Moonfish 1.2...Strangest, Bizarre Tracker But Perhaps Perfect Challenge Tracker?

Rediscovered this odd Gem from Bram Bros 1999-

Designed partly as a joke with ‘built-in’ limitations…

From a HitSquad Interview in 2000-

**Q. What happened to The Moonfish project?

It didn’t seem to capture the public imagination as successfully as Hammerhead.**
It was never intended to be a serious project. Actually I was already developing Tuareg when I made Moonfish. It started out as a joke. Someone on a mailinglist mentioned he still thought it was a challenge to create songs on his old 4-channel Amiga tracker. Everyone laughed at him, but actually it made me think: “why not try to create a tool that has ridiculously silly limitations, but is still fun to use?” That seemed like a challenge to me and that’s the idea that became Moonfish. MoFi was made in less than a week and that shows. Still I think it was a cool joke. And apparently some weirdos in the world do cool stuff with it…

He also apparently created it to have the ability to go 1230 BPMs from an email from somebody named ‘ZAP’ that was supposed to have been talking about 230 BPMs but must’ve hit the 1+2 to end up with 1230 BPM…So Moonfish was then designed to attain 1230 BPM…Part of the joke…

Looks to be a great contender for a Challenge Tracker…I certainly am gonna ‘tune it’ as I have never heard anything done in it…

The original Moonfish page is here-

BUTT!!..Download does not work from there…GO HERE-

http://web.archive.org/web/20120713192958/http://www.brambos.com/downloads/moonfish12.zip

3 Likes

I used to use this when it was made. Tuareg was more comprehensive.

1 Like

Yeah, I use Tuareg 2.5…which is good for sample based workflow with some internal synths as well, Tunafish is even better with VSTs & full automation…

But they are NOT ODD like Moonfish, the weirdo of Trackers…

1 Like

Really like what you are doing mate keep them coming, its good to discover trackers from the past

1 Like

Thank You Sire…Yes, I find some of these have some clever aspects to them it is refreshing that so many different tracker ‘CONCEPTS’ had been born many with a ‘Tune of a Different Drummer’…Many still quite useable for a tolerant person I guess…

Trackers seem to have much more illustrious differences than piano rollers did so much more for the fascination…

Thanks again stoiximan…

1 Like