More Ideas

#1) “automatable loop points” for the ability to change location of start an end points when in loop mode.

#2) ability for the lfo meta device to control multiple parameters at once.

#3) an “OSC instrument client” for passing messages over ethernet to osc servers an osc clients

#4) more midi in devices.

#5) a find zero crossings button in the sample editor for use with selected areas.

example: taken from adobe auditions site.

#6) load up mass amounts of samples at once.

#7) make the instrument sample limit 256 instead of 16.

#8) a gate meta device. have it work the same way as the effct gate. with the options an parameters for effect # and slider #. like the lfo device.

UPDATED: 24/12/05

well that makes me very happy!! :w00t:

i imagine tho it would not work as proper until there is better res with the offset pointers, but i bet thats been covered already too. anyway, anytime i get a renoise idea its going in that post from now on, hopefully in the future i wont have too many collectively duplicate thoughts. :D

I’ve been asking for no 1 too, and I would very much like to assign loop points to midi knobs as well. :wub:

For #1 I feel you would want some sort of find zero crossing option to get it to work smoothly. Maybe even having to be able to limit it to upwards (or downwards) crossings only.

Also feel find nearest zero crossing would improve the sample offset parameter, although some people seem to say they get away with it without ever noticing a glitch.

Definately agree with #2, although it again comes back to the point that this would automatically be covered with the scripting idea presented by sunjammer.

I probably was the first to ask for #1; I even asked for it to the author of MadTracker, when ReNoise was not even born yet (a life ago!)

The main problem with this splendid feature is: how should the tracking command work?

I mean: someone uses 09xx for beatslicing, and he feels that 256 values are enough; would it be enough for setting loop points too? I don’t think so: we need at least three digits (4096 values), so we would need a Yxxx-style command.

Ok, that’s good. So “set loop start” is, say, Gxxx.

Now we need a “set loop length” which is, again, a Yxxx command; Hxxx.

Can we reserve two Yxxx commands for this?

You also have to consider that some users feel that we should not introduce commands with starting letter after F, because they will confuse people who already have their problems understanding Hex stuff.

I disagree with this point of view, so if you share my thought, join my “Commands Commando” and start the revolution ;)

I agree completely that we need 4096 resolution instead of 256!!

In my mind, offset would remain the same (as 09xxx), but loop points could be set dynamically with 2 functions, say BBxxx and EExxx (or something) and loop points would function as they do now.

If a sample was playing in the loop when you switched the loop point, it would continue playing in the loop until it hit the end point of the loop or the end point of the sample (whichever comes first).

Also - don’t try to make this shit user friendly by making numbers decimal. For music purposes, you REALLY want something that’s got a base divisible by 4. Making things base 10 is really gross and ugly.

Plus, if you’re using a tracker, learn how to use a tracker!!!

yes. looppoint automation would indeed be nice.

@ it-alien: do you think it would work this way:
the cX command on the panning-collumn is free. so setting the pan-col. to cX would take the whole effect-collumn as value. this way we would have FFFF up to 65536 different values
so basically it could look like:
c1 8888 sets loop start
c2 0100 sets loop length

just a thought. :)

Personally I feel a loops start and end are better than a start and length, then hopefull it will be made possible to read the values from the sample editor, rather than finding the start position and having to either calcualte or guess the length to get it smooth.

Would be nice if the definition of the sample offset value was scaled up as well at the same time, then you would still only need to be displaying one value for your cursor in the sample editor, it’s just that it can be used in more than one way if this is incorporated.

fuzzpilz tracker? :blink: :lol:

no sorry, my fault.
fuzzpilz (fusspilz) is the german word for an athlete’s foot / dermatophyte :) just thought it was a funny name.

:drummer:

indeed it would, i could see in the future controlling renoise from a low cost gui of sc3’s nature or even passing messages from the terminal to sc3 to modify to renoise. renoise relying on sc3’s immpecable timing along with having renoise record sequencing from sc3. ooo the abilities.

if renoise was to run an osc server we would be able to communicate with renoise using a terminal, (i’m sure someone has written something for the pc command prompt too) piggy back midi all over lans, even be able to distribute modules on the web that you could control from home.
-for instance you could do a show. and as long as everyone had renoise (or some type of renoise module player) and the module (or just the module), and then start sending instructions and have zero lag because osc is fast an light an its only sending out sequencing day=ta.

theres code that nick collins and another wrote that gives sc3 has the ability to auto beat match.

:D

does anyone know if a transport is planned?
like to be used with the arranger.
so we could use one of those scrubbing knobs like these:

an have it work with renoise. B)
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/
http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/

a gate meta device. have it work the same way as the effct gate. with the options an parameters for effect # and slider #. like the lfo device.

How about a totally user definable loop size within a pattern via a click and drag on the pattern numbers?

Also the click and drag selection box in patterns, it would be nice to be able to grab the edge and resize it instead of having to redo the whole thing if you mess up.

Been wondering, do you have to register and pay to use the Logic Control protocols utalised by the mackie control and software such as Logic, Cubase/Nuendo, Ableton Live, Adobe Audition, Sonar and many more?

If it is open this looks like it would be the way to go…

thats a great idea! i now put that in the list! B)

and also maybe in the future the ability to right click an effect column, an it would bring up a small submenu that would list all effects commands. the user would select whichever one. in this case it will be 09XX this in turn would bring up a smaller window of the sample with a bar to put where you want in the sample.

How about just using CTRL-B or CTRL-E to resize your edges if they are wrong?
I assume either starting point or ending point was misinterpreted so it should be fairly quick to adjust this with the keys.

How about making LFO’s global in a sense that they could modulate any value in any track? Making LFO menu? Or explicit LFOs for global and local use, global ones managed in some kind of menu item?
Then put to devices a button for floating modulation routing menu or floating pop-up slider for modulation of value or something like that.

I did a design sketch for that 2years ago…I still think it would be nice because it would allow you to see the lfo at the same time as any effect.
However one problem is that it would be harder to connect a automation curve to them so you say I think it would probably have to be neccessary to keep the old devices too.

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?s=2…=6&t=2997&st=25