More UI scaling options (Scale Levels)

Scaled-down display with scaling

I often work with many Renoise applications running simultaneously.
To display the disk browser, etc. on each of the many Renoise windows, Wayland (sway) on Linux can use a scaled-down view, but Renoise windows using the Xwayland process have a blurry display, making them less usable.

I am thinking that this might be solved by enabling a scaled-down view in the scaling settings of Renoise.
The increments of the setting value should be 90%-10% in 10% increments, etc. Ideally, the API should be used to specify the value.

1 Like

Also wondered about this. 125% is already quite large for my setup.

Specify scaling values down to 1% increments using sliders and text boxes

Yes, middle-aged and older people, including myself, who are probably the volume zone of Renoise users, basically have worse vision, but not better.
And there is a very fine gradation in the degree of eye deterioration.
Many people, like you and me, may think that 100% is small and 125% is large.
I think there needs to be a fine gradation between the two.

In addition to the API, it would be useful to be able to specify numerical values up to 1% units by means of sliders and text boxes.

Maybe there should be a value box with an apply button instead of a dropdown list. This way it would be convenient to have a range from 100 to 400% in 1% increments. Then the user could specify exactly the valid value within the range.

This issue is a bit tricky. Renoise relies on BMP images for icons that have scaling that involves duplicating images to make them look sharp. To be exact, you would need an image for each size for each icon, but with larger images smaller scales are performed so the result is sharp.

In fact, scaling to 125% doesn’t actually increase the size of the icons when it should, it still uses 100% and that’s noticeable. That’s the only weird thing I see here. Probably the images for 125 are not in the installation package (by the way, someone who is bored could generate them and share them. Those images are simply copied to the corresponding folder in the installation and they would work).

Another issue is the treatment of fonts and their surrounding text boxes, which is a fairly broad general issue in itself.

The same thing happens with Lua tools. It is not an easy topic to deal with.

I see. I naively thought it would be nice to be able to use *.svg from *.bmp, etc., but I guess it is not such a simple matter.

Yes, using a vector image format would have been the expected solution here. But for some reason the BMP format has been kept. With the tools available today, it would not be strange to be able to quickly convert large icons into SVG images and use that format.

So I assume there must be something in the code that is incompatible with vector images. Maybe the quickest solution to build was sought, respecting the peculiarities of the code base…

I just saw that there are a lot of online services that convert png images to svg (example: https://png2svg.com).

By contrast, SVG files are vector images, composed of a series of mathematical nodes, lines, shapes, and curves. Unlike raster images, they don’t have a specific resolution, so they don’t loose any quality when you resize them. This makes them more suitable for technical drawings like diagrams, schematics, and clipart illustrations.

Most image-editing programs support either raster or vector formats, but rarely both. Drawing programs are typically vector editors, while photo editing programs use raster formats.

I suppose there will also be programs that allow you to convert the format with AI that allow you to select an entire folder. This way, the problem would not be the time wasted in creating the image format for all the icons.

Yes, I believe this by using such a command, we can batch replace bmp to svg.

https://potrace.sourceforge.net/

I’m not sure people would prefer the usual vector rescaling? It would entail the usual antialias sheen of “bitmaps”, which doesn’t necessarily feel as consistent with the hardcoded stuff in the GUI. Set dimensions allows for detailed control, in particular when it comes to vertical/horizontal lines in bitmaps. I vote for sharpness.

1 Like

4k resolution alphachannel PNG Support and all Problems would be resolved. No need for svg vector formats. But i think this will never happen. I asked for 3-4 more control exclusiv colorvalues for better optical ergonomics and taktic denied that. The used graphics engine in Renoise is old as hell. The Fontrendering of TTF and OTF Fonts is very bad. So dream on about it, but if we want be realistic, the probability that we get this is sadly not very high.

happy tracking :slight_smile:

Yup. That’s exactly the reason why we have this limited set of UI scaling levels:

They are all simple integer fractions:

100%, // 1/1 -  96 DPI
125%, // 5/4 - 120 DPI
150%, // 6/4 - 144 DPI
175%, // 7/4 - 168 DPI
200%, // 2/1 - 192 DPI
225%, // 9/4 - 216 DPI
250%, // 5/2 - 240 DPI
300%, // 3/1 - 288 DPI
350%, // 7/2 - 336 DPI

Which helps avoiding aliasing.

Scaling down 4k PNGs or rasterizing SVGs is easier to deal with (only one image has to be created), but it always looks aliased at lower resolutions.

So, yes, it’s unlikely that we’re going to change that. Such things would have to be changed from the ground up in a new tracker project that someone else is doing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see. So you are saying that it is not a good idea to use another scale because it will be blurry.
Thanks for elaborating.

I am not familiar with that technical premise, so I apologize if I am saying something strange.
How about the following reduced direction?
Is there anything feasible?

25%,  // 1/4 -  24 DPI
50%,  // 1/2 -  48 DPI
75%,  // 3/4 -  72 DPI
--
100%, // 1/1 -  96 DPI