More usable keystrokes for step length counter

This is a deep cut, but hear me out:

I use the step length counter all the time to quickly enter notes at set intervals of lines. And I use the keystrokes to set the intervals, like ⌘+1, ⌘+2, ⌘+3, 4,8, 12, 16, etc.

My challenge is that I don’t use all the integers in between – like I never set my step length to 5, 7, or 9, but I often set it to 12, 16, and 32.

It finally dawned on me that I could update the keystrokes so that
⌘1=1
⌘2=2
⌘3=3
⌘4=4
⌘5=12
⌘6=6
⌘7=16
⌘8=8
⌘9=32

I just did that and am looking forward to the faster workflow that will result. Hope it helps you!

4 Likes

Good tip, thanks!

1 Like

That’s a big help, I use 12, 16 and 32 often enough to benefit from this workflow enhancement. Thanks.

2 Likes

nice, yeah!
mine is similar, but maybe a little more simple
5=8
6=16
7=32

I like the idea of a dedicated 12 step. may have to put that one in there!

edit: just set up command 8, 9, and 0 as 6, 12, and 24 steps respectively

I wish there was an option for 64 lines

1 Like

Didn’t know you can set custom edit steps, cool.

I do use uneven step edits often when trying to add variations to dense note-event filled tracks, use them to delete hits sometimes onbeat, other times offbeat. I guess stuck from the olden tracker days, the F9 to F12 keys still get used a lot travelling through patterns, cutting whatever pattern length that is being used in 4s. Page up & page down keys are also handy in that regard, same as for the home & end keys for fast travel :slight_smile: . I love the flexibility.

Lill OT; once suggested a tool keyboard shortcut which will set the edit-step amount based upon the amount of pattern lines in between 2 note events where the cursor is placed. Code from @Conner_Bw can still be found here for who might find this handy; [Idea] Set Row Count Between Events As Step Length Shortcut - #25 by Conner_Bw

2 Likes

I am not following
DO youguys mean edit step length , ctrl +nr ?
I can only use 0 till 9 , iow I can’t choose for example step length of 12 ( ctrl + 12 ) as a shortcut

You can set arbitrary lengths in the key bindings preference associated with whatever command key + numeral key

By default the step length is set to the same value as the numeral, but you can change it

Edit: see correction below

1 Like

I’m realizing there might be a good use case for a key binding that simply increments or decrements the step length by one so you can quickly just press up or down to get to the number you want. this would get you to those rarely used step lengths like five, seven, and nine in the rare cases when you use them. Maybe I’ll explore that tomorrow.

I have my instruments set up that way so I don’t select them with the number pad but rather just Alt+arrow up and down the list until I get to the one I want.

command + - decrements by one
command + = increments by one

halving and doubling are also set up by default :slight_smile:

^ this is not correct
there are a variety of edit step lengths available in key prefs to bind however you wish

1 Like