Movie Recommendations – 5 Underappreciated Favourites

I’ve got “Ichi the Killer” in my collection. But when it comes to Takashi Miike my top 3 is “13 Assassins”, “Hara-Kiri” and “Blade of the Immortal”. If you don’t know Hara-Kiri, go and watch. You won’t regret if you’re up for some proper Samurai stuff.

Yes, if you’re also interested in cultural things, it’s an interesting movie, too. There are 2 more movies that have the same style than The Twilight Samurai, one is “The Hidden Blade” and the other is “When the last Sword is drawn”. Both movies are must-see movies.

1 Like

Cool! I don’t know any of them other than Blade of The Immortal. I’ll be watching them shortly.

@Jek Baraka is wonderful! As is the granddaddy of that genre Koyaanisqatsi (1982) with a wonderful score by Philip Glass. And the more modern take on it, Samsara (2012).

I totally adore this plane scene from Koyaanisqatsi but it has plenty more amazing shots in it.:

1 Like

Some movies and series I watched in the past few weeks that I can recommend

Sharp Objects
Mandy
Thelma
Triangle of sadness (laughed my ass off)
Taxi Driver
Beau is afraid
Under the silver lake
A beautiful day
Kill list
Ghost World

Tbc

2 Likes

I don’t watch movies recently, but from the time I did, I recommend this:

(Also the 80s ‘Hard To Be God’ version is great on it’s own terms imho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDm2ZUc0CUc)

3 Likes

I have the complete Jodorowsky DVD Box

2 Likes

Omg, how many movies are there? In the Jodorowsky DVD Box.

I wish I had those bitcoin billions - I would just give them all to J and make him do the Dune as he wants it.

2 Likes

6 DVDs

https://www.amazon.de/JODOROWSKY-Collection-DVDs-Alejandro-Jodorowsky/dp/B00E9SK6QC

What an arty bunch we have here!

2 Likes

Great recommendations! Robot and Frank, Coherence, and Identity are all great films. Teh other two on the list I’ll have to add to my watchlist.

I’ll add one of my favorites to the list; Immortal (2004). The film is shot entirely on a “digital backlot” and has an incredibly strange atmosphere. The CGI ranges from early 2000’s video game interiors up to incredibly detailed renders somewhat ahead of their time. Enki Bilal (comic book creator and film director) lead the production. Delightfully odd film.

2 Likes

@Kaao you’re posting in the wrong thread. This one is about movies, not the demo scene.

1 Like

thanks for the recommendations!

the young poisoner’s handbook
seems to be quite unknown. its awesome, unique and strange,
i like the movie a lot

1 Like

beyond the black rainbow
panos cosmatos (mandy) first movie, great visuals and soundtrack (mellotron)

1 Like

Best movie I have sees this year is “Talk To Me”. For horror- and paranormal fans. Not sure that it is under-appreciated though, probably not.

1 Like

@TNT and other Takashi Miike fans. I was done watching Blue Eye Samurai and Netflix recommended me another anime, Onimusha. Turns out that series is directed by Miike. Haven’t watched it yet so I can’t tell you if it’s any good. Seems to be about samurai. Anyway, just thought I’d mention it here in case anyone is interested.

1 Like

Well you know, as a German I’m already forced to pay for state propaganda TV I will never watch, so I’m not willing to pay even more for more TV just like Netflix. I’d rather play a videogame, create music or watch a movie on DVD than watching TV. So unfortunately I cannot watch neither Onimusha nor Yasuke, but I’m 100% sure both series won’t beat Samurai Champloo, which is BY FAR the best Samurai cartoon I’ve ever watched (of course besides Ninja Scroll and Afro Samurai, but these are movies and not a series), and it has a decent OST, too. If you haven’t watched it yet, just do it. Btw, have you watched 13 Assassins and Hara-Kiri in the meantime?

3 Likes

Ooh samurai champloo was great :bomb::bomb:

For fans of Koyaanisqatsi, Baraka, Samsara. This beautifully filmed photographic-journey through Japan flipped my cookie. It’s 35min and I’m going to watch it again tomorrow night. I love, love the shots of the moving trains. Especially at night. And music is cool, too.

BTW, this is the full version, put up for free on youtube by its creator:

2 Likes