Movie Recommendations – 5 Underappreciated Favourites

The holidays are coming up, you’ve already rewatched your favourites and nothing new looks any good. So here’s five lesser known movies all completely different from each other, covering a wide variety of genres, and hopefully you’ll find something that sparks your interest. If time investment is an issue don’t worry cos, unlike a lot of films these days, they’re all only 90 mins long.

8 Likes

Interesting choices Achenar. I’m gonna see what I can find, thanks!

Regarding old films. I’ve seen quite a number of them from the 30s & 40s. And I always find it fascinating how the people physically are exactly like us. But their lives were vastly different from ours. And how a lot of what we think of a “modern culture/humor/” is actually already present in those old films. And presumably already present in society in generations before them.

Another thing that still gets me is knowing that if you watch films from the 1920s or older that virtually everyone who worked on that picture is dead. Maybe someone who was a baby in the film could be alive still but that’s it. Yet the picture is still here. Allowing for a connection to those people and their time. Which I find a mind boggling feat.

3 Likes

Thanks! The Thin Man is going in my list.

If you like, or at least can tolerate stoner comedies, I recommend Smiley Face. I consider it to be a god-tier stoner movie, and in my opinion, the best I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Great topic!!For me the best movie in the last 10 years is Night crawler,a must watch.

3 Likes

NIghtcrawler is ok’ish …(runs for cover ) …Jack Gylenhaal is always remarkable …have you seen Nocturnal Animals ?
My top director is the greek director Yorgos Lanthimos

-the favourite …it’s fukcking hilarious

Haven’t seen his last one 'Poor things ’ but it seems to be pretty damn good (won the golden lion at venice film festival )

Triangle of sadness by Ruben Östlund is also great

And Yeah how could I forget …the masterpiece ‘Drunk’ ( called 'a last round in U.S) by Vinterberg is awesome , I love watching Mads Mikkelsen

3 Likes

have you seen Nocturnal Animals?

Yes and I’ll never watch it again. Not cos it’s bad (it’s not), but the ordeal of powerlessness that Gyllenhaal’s character is put through in the beginning is beyond infuriating.

Oh yeah! This movie rocks!

That should be Druk and Another Round by Thomas Vinterberg, indeed. Fantastic film, laughed my ass off in that one. Highly recommend!

Have you seen Lanthimos’ Killing of A Sacred Deer (2017) or Dogtooth (2009) yet? Both are great and disturbing. Especially Dogtooth is creepy on a fundamental level. He definitely knows how to make some uncomfortable art. :heart:

@stoiximan: I love Nightcrawler. Gyllenhaal is so fierce in that one.

I would put The Menu (2022) up against Triangle of Sadness, they were also in the theater at the same time. The Menu is a more serious take on the same premise that rich people suck.

Of this years films I liked El Caftan Azul / The Blue Caftan a lot. So subtle, delicate and sad/tragic.

Blind Woman Sleeping Willow (2022) by Pierre Földes. An animation based the works of Murakami. It’s ugly looking but interesting at the same time. And like Murakami’s books, there is something there that I find appealing. The dialogue was recorded in English so this not a dub.

Past Lives by Celine Song. Sweet, feel good film. There is no edge to. It just kind of lovely. And it has some parallels with my own life with people who moved to different countries.

Former Fait Tousser / Smoking Causes Coughing by Quentin Dupieux aka Mr. Oizo. Who you know form Flat Beat, if you’re a certain age.

His stuff is out there in terms of weirdness. I don’t think Former Fait Tousser is his best, but I would highly recommend Incroyable Mais Vrai / Incredible But True (2022) and Le Daim / The Deer Skin (2019)

1 Like

I’ve got “Identity” in my huge movie collection and can say it’s quite good. So if I can’t list “Scarface” and more in this thread, I will have to mention some stuff I really like but most people might not know. Here are 3 movies one should know.

One of my favorite movies of all time:

It’s about life with all its struggles of a lower Samurai in feudal Japan. It’s NOT a fighting movie.

Another one from my youth:

It’s about how mathematics affect life and IS life.

For those who like some fighting fun:

2 Likes

@ eretsua , yekp I saw 'The Killing of sacred deer ", good one …but preffered ""The Lobster "O
Oh let’s not forget Jane Campion’s latest ’ The power of the dog ’
Bbenedict Cummberbatch and Kirsten Dunst are beyond impressive , so is the soundtrack b Johny Greenwood
Highly , highly recommend

1 Like

Pi is so good! And it has a kick ass soundtrack. It got a 25th anniversary remaster this year.

Blade of The Immortal is fun, too. I would recommend Audition (1999), Itchi The Killer (2001) and 46-okunen no koi / Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (2006) from Takashi MIIKE’s immense filmography as well. The last one being really weird and trippy. Audition being thoroughly unsettling. And Itchi The Killer being over the top ultra gory violence.

I haven’t heard of The Twilight Samuari before. But I’m gonna see if I can find it. I’ve got Identity and Robot & Frank incoming and gonna add The Power of The Dog to my watch list.

1 Like

ah yeahTakashi Miike has some great movies .
A verry versatile director , something doing straight up commercial stuff for kids , and other ones totally bizarre .
Visitor Q…anyone ? :slight_smile: , also cinematic spectacles like 13 assasins .
Also love the work of takeshi KItano

3 Likes

Added Visitor Q to my list. Still haven’t seen The Lobster. Will change that shortly. Tonight I’m gonna see Die Hard on 70mm projection though. Should be sweet.

Judging by everyone’s suggestions, if we ever get together for a movie night I’m sure we’ll have a great time.

Not new, but I completely missed it, since I watched the original movie multiple times: Fargo the series. Lot of fun, really good acting. Available on Amazon prime here…

2 Likes

Fargo season 1 was especially good. Did fall down after that for me and I never made it past season 3.

2 Likes

Finally, someone with real taste

1 Like

@Achenar I watched Identity. That was fun. Half way through I knew where it was going. So I might have caught part of this on TV once. It also made me realize that Clea DuVall has completely disappeared from my radar.

The score by Alan Silvestri was a happy surprise for me, too. He has such a recognizable style. One that truly “feels like the movies” to me. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation(s)!

1 Like