Moving to OSX ...

Any serious “gotcha” issues between the Windows and OSX versions of Renoise? The lastest OSX version is 10.11 and I’m assuming that Renoise 3.1.0, when it’s released from beta will be compatible. Getting ready to spend about $3000US on a well specc’d iMac and want to be sure my favorite DAW can be used. :slight_smile:

Thanks for any comments or considerations. Cheers.

Hm, I would go for a used Mac Pro (old silver one) instead. You can shoot them sometimes for around 350 Euro nowadays and it has octal-core Xeon. Maybe power consumption is high, but a very decent machine. Wouldn’t go for iMac, I had one. Not for audio. At the end, you won’t get satisfied. And if it gets defective, it will become extremely expensive.

I’ll certainly consider it ffx. I’ve never been a big fan of “all in one” computers to begin with and the current Mac Pro, the cylindrical one, is a bit more than I’d want to pay. I have a friend who is a Mac “guru” and ask her about the latest OS X compatibility and the older Mac Pro hardware. The other consideration is being able to stuff in as much RAM as possible … I think something like this: http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Mac-Pro-3.2GHz-Quad-Core-4GB-500GB-Super-Drive-Intel-Xeon-2010—Pre-Owned-p-41135.html might suffice then.

You are basically giving tons of money for free but up to you.

I wouldn’t even recommend you a macintosh computer ! I’m not a bad guy just remember that.

But if u are really not sure i highly recommend u to purchase a Windows PC and save tons of money

Go get it do whatever you’d like, goodluck and have fun

Hm, I would go for a used Mac Pro (old silver one) instead. You can shoot them sometimes for around 350 Euro nowadays and it has octal-core Xeon. Maybe power consumption is high, but a very decent machine. Wouldn’t go for iMac, I had one. Not for audio. At the end, you won’t get satisfied. And if it gets defective, it will become extremely expensive.

I wouldn’t recommend him to buy used devices , IF u are really into a mac purchase a mac mini does fine for renoise

…but… A Mac Pro… It is a monster of a PC! Also has lot of PCIe slots… UAD PCIe, audio cards… It has firewire, etc. etc.

I should have noted that iMac’s 4-5K are a very great deal for the price 1500-2000$ while 4-5K monitors without a pc costs 2000$

…but… A Mac Pro… It is a monster of a PC! Also has lot of PCIe slots… UAD PCIe, audio cards… It has firewire, etc. etc.

He does not need that unless he is going to use high end software

Ahh i see you said Mac Pro, and there is no such thing as mac pro for 350$ afaik

@Zelda, thanks, but I’ve had enough of Windows. 20+ years of it. :slight_smile: I promised myself I would not buy or upgrade to Windows 10 OS. So …

I think ffx has a fine idea. This machine will only be used in my studio for music production so it doesn’t have to be the latest hardware. I have a monitor, mouse, etc already. As long as I can upgrade the OS version and stuff a bunch of RAM into it I should be good. Buying a refurb Mac Pro with a warranty would leave me some $$$ to spend on other stuff, like a really nice audio card. :walkman:

Hey,
i have an old macbook with renoise here and it works great.

I’m just looking in real windows now because the later versions scares me a lot.

But the Applesystem is gong the same scenario as Windows in some cases now.
Those shite updates that just gives a headache…

Maybe we would have an orange or lemon system someday,
that would be better future!

Great question, something I have always wondered. Any performance differences between Renoise on OS X on MacPro versus Windows PC?

You are basically giving tons of money for free but up to you.
I wouldn’t even recommend you a macintosh computer ! I’m not a bad guy just remember that…

Some people seem to get very defensive about their preferred brand/os. Allways found that funny and I for one would not think you are a bad guy for having a preference :wink:
To be honest, I have little experience with Mac computers, however if possible, I would recommend building your own tower. Better for price and performance. Not sure if this is possible with a Mac? If not, a pc will always be a better option imo.
That being said, Renoise is light on the cpu and I am sure a modern Mac would be up to the task. Good luck with your new pc. I recently had a custom one built (quite a little monster too, I might add) and am so happy with it.
Enjoy!

btw i use a really nice pc with osx. an asusboard for about 50 euro + core i7 for about 300? + 8gb ram. the fastest mac i ever had. using clover boot loader (1) (2). I can recommend this, if you have some system os skills. This boot loader also loads all windows and linux of course, too. So, no risk at all. You can setup on usb stick , too, until your config is finalized. Don’t touch windows partition though, all of them (including backup, boot partition and that other crap).

Plenty of already done setups here: (1) (2) (3) (4)

I did patch my acpi/dsdt though (removing some calls), since I wanted to fix power nap, which i never use now. But since then clover already improved and most does all patching (non destructive) automatically. It’s even install and forget for lot of devices now.

The biggest gotcha I can think of is plugins – there’s a larger selection of free plugins for Windows than Mac. I lost a bunch when I switched from Win to Mac, but now I just use more built in plugins.

Some people seem to get very defensive about their preferred brand/os. Allways found that funny and I for one would not think you are a bad guy for having a preference :wink:
To be honest, I have little experience with Mac computers, however if possible, I would recommend building your own tower. Better for price and performance. Not sure if this is possible with a Mac? If not, a pc will always be a better option imo.
That being said, Renoise is light on the cpu and I am sure a modern Mac would be up to the task. Good luck with your new pc. I recently had a custom one built (quite a little monster too, I might add) and am so happy with it.
Enjoy!

Thanks yes some people do get very defensive about that true, I own myself a imac 2000$ and i had regrets but today i’m back on Logic Pro X but if i am gonna purchase a mac just to run renoise with it thats not me. i would only buy a mac if i’m going to use other software that is only mac compatible or has very special adventages in mac instead of windows.

Note i’ve edited one of my posts which mistakenly said 2,5K monitors are 1500-2000 $ replaced it with 4-5k

Thanks yes some people do get very defensive about that true, I own myself a imac 2000$ and i had regrets but today i’m back on Logic Pro X but if i am gonna purchase a mac just to run renoise with it thats not me. i would only buy a mac if i’m going to use other software that is only mac compatible or has very special adventages in mac instead of windows.
Note i’ve edited one of my posts which mistakenly said 2,5K monitors are 1500-2000 $ replaced it with 4-5k

Yeah, I got a good deal on my pc build. Got dual monitors for free and spent a little over 2k (aud).
And this is what I got for that $:

Win7 64bit | i7-6700k | Gigabyte B150M | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Gigabyte N610SL-2GL | 2 x WD Black HDD | Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Corsair CS750M | Corsair H75 | Fractal Design Define R5 |

Yeah, I got a good deal on my pc build. Got dual monitors for free and spent a little over 2k (aud).
And this is what I got for that $:

Win7 64bit | i7-6700k | Gigabyte B150M | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Gigabyte N610SL-2GL | 2 x WD Black HDD | Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Corsair CS750M | Corsair H75 | Fractal Design Define R5 |

Nice :smiley: what kind of monitors btw?

The biggest gotcha I can think of is plugins – there’s a larger selection of free plugins for Windows than Mac. I lost a bunch when I switched from Win to Mac, but now I just use more built in plugins.

What kindof plugins you use for mac? , btw I recommend you one of my favourites Bazille a modular synthesizer by uhe

I run the demo version, is free and only generates a small noise every few seconds which is not bad imo

I noticed that. However, I’m pretty “old skool” and use Renoise mostly in “tracker mode” for samples and it’s native instruments and effects. I own a couple of U-he’s vsts, Zebra2 being my favorite for doing long evolving ambiance tracks and U-he provides versions in Windows, OSX and LINUX so I’m covered there.

Nice :smiley: what kind of monitors btw?

Not too sure on specifics but one is a Benq and the other a dell i think (just recently covered their respective logos with black stickers).

The benq is approx 5ocm wide and the dell 40cm. They do the job for me. They both have dvi and vga. I do have another samsung monitor i could use for three, but two is fine. I don’t really use this system for anything other than sound, hence why I didn’t go crazy on a graphics card amd the monitors were the best price :wink:

Speaking of monitors though, monitor speakers will hopefully soon be the next addition to the studio.

I noticed that. However, I’m pretty “old skool” and use Renoise mostly in “tracker mode” for samples and it’s native instruments and effects. I own a couple of U-he’s vsts, Zebra2 being my favorite for doing long evolving ambiance tracks and U-he provides versions in Windows, OSX and LINUX so I’m covered there.

Zebra2 not my style but i’ve heard Hans Zimmer is using it , I’m considering to buy renoise /redux and bazille Do you have any MIDI Controller to recommend for a tracker??

Do you have any MIDI Controller to recommend for a tracker??

Are you looking for a keyboard, xy pad controller or a combination of both? I like my M-Audio Keystation 61 II keyboard: http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/keystation-61#.VnAjfr9ulhE and my Korg nanoPad2: http://www.korg.com/us/products/controllers/nanopad2/ Both are good quality items, easy to interface and fairly inexpensive. The keyboard has a nice touch to its keys and it’s a no-frills unit for simplicity.

However, I use them mostly for working out ideas and recording to midi for later tweaking and processing. Most of my work is old skool tracker style, using the PC keyboard directly or importing my midi files.