MROC MSynth 1.50a Win32 - Rather Cool/Rare Synth Sequencer>>>

Not that I post these kinds of things here but I had the page & the images already up with the NoiseTrekker 3 stuff…

Not old only like a decade pretty cool piano-roll sequencer I don’t think anybody knew of…

The Piano-Roll rather limited resolution & you can adjust velocity…

There is ‘knob turn record’ automation…

Internal synth that can be ‘structured’ you can add any of the internal transforms to build a massive synth & you can also use DMO DirectX Plugs in it…You probably don’t have any but if you install SVArTracker you will have what I have in the pics…

WAVE out render works just fine & the demo tune (not very good) sounds clean…

Here image with just about everything open that can be-

Synth has structure editor to change OSC type & to add as many ‘transforms’ as you like & in what order you like-

Here you see dropdown of what can be added & as many instances that will fit onscreen-

Here just adding a bunch to see WTF…

Kinda cool to play with for free…There is also a beatbox for external WAVs to load in for drums or anything else you want to trigger…

Limitations…UhhhYES!..But even as it is it is way more in potential than REBIRTH which seems so beloved…And HEY! Quicker too…

Get the 1.50 from here-

https://web.archive.org/web/20140226194919/http://www.mroc.de/msynth/

2 Likes

Author here. What a blast from the past. Grateful for the kind words. Never expected somebody finding it again. Cool that it still runs on your machine. I developed it 2000-2003, unfortunately the source code is lost. Rebirth was actually a great inspiration at the time. And so was Rubberduck, Hammerhead, and all the DOS trackers before.

3 Likes

Man alive, that looks cool - make us another one, please? :smiley: With a tracker sequencer? Of course I’m being ridiculous!

1 Like

Pleasant surprise to have you here Mroc! This is actually a bit better than i had described as I see you can use WAVs in the OSC sector & there is the one on the bottom that uses short impulse WAVs that came with it…Kinda like Impulse Response WAVs…
Also I see that once you automate a knob THEN you get a lane in the piano roll…
Made about a dozen synth presets last night with a few being real good…
What a great concept on the synth portion & rest is setup for fast-simple workflow, only thing I really have to be a critic about is the piano roll as there is just the 16 or 32 resolutions which means I’d have to use 3 bars to 96 steps going slow to get triplets and also it appears that snapping is always on…
Great job…I’ll be making a tune in it (short one) once I get some synths made up & figure that out, been trying to find more DMO plugs that could be used…
I enjoy digging up the ideas of coders & trying to make a decent tune in it…You maybe have seen the recent thread I started here in Off-Topic on H8 Tracker I have it up on soundcloud now as alonetone does not work right with XP anymore…

If you come back maybe you can explain the MAAosc generator & suggest what other kinds of WAVs I can use in it…THANKS!!!

Super cool! I like what you’re doing.

I just checked and it seems the MAAosc has two waves than can be loaded and mixed. I assume I added it last because the manual is missing this piece. You should be able to find the waves here: C:\Program Files (x86)\MSynth 1.5 alpha\resource\wave. All interpolations were linear so will heavily alias. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make a tune with it.

The file format is XML and all samples are stored inline base-64 encoded. I don’t remember if there were any limits with that. Just the file can get pretty big. The file format is also pretty self explanatory, just it case it corrupts.

I also found some code fragments. I don’t think it will be easy to compile but still I will try to upload them to github to conserve it for future generations :wink:

1 Like

Thank You MROC!..You rock!! Great stuff…

Well, I also posted this over at oldschooldaw.com as I can attach files there & is a more appropriate place for this-

It is virtually a dupe of this thread posting…

Thanks for the insight on the MAAosc setup, plenty of sound generation options. I plan on doing a short tune ‘pushing MSynth to limits’…I kinda did that with H8 Tracker…

Probably next month as I JUST STARTED a new tune in IoNeo Aero Studio…You may be familiar with that sequencer it uses XML as well speaking of synchronicity. I did a tune back in winter of 2015 with it but it was not great and I didn’t PUSH Aero Studio…I wish to see how far it will go on the directsound mode, (like H8 & your MSynth) as these just hook that…

Here is what I did in it then-

I recently tried ‘SpaceToad’…Maybe you have heard of that. It’s a MIDI sequencer that uses VSTi-VST & appeared to be quite cool so after becoming familiar I decided to ‘tune it’ but…BUTT!! alas, about a third of the way through I’d get these messages ‘Too Many Operations, Closing’ It wasn’t even playing at all or using any DSPs, could not really continue after that…See it here-

https://web.archive.org/web/20120203091613/http://www.spacetoads.com/

So please keep in touch especially if you remember anything critical…It’s amazing how so much came out then that had better abilities than ReBirth but so many just ‘pulled focus’ on ReBirth & nothing else!!..DreamStation 1.0 was better, Synoptic Probe was better, Ultrano Dreamer was better, MSynth was better, Aero Studio was better…I could keep going…

The ‘saver’ for ReBirth is it’s rewire ability…With it’s lack of visual clues in order to make a complex tune you had to be an avid note taker of what going on in what patterns…Not a problem though for the bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp-bwomp crowd though…

Thanks again for coding this as was quite a cool deal for 2003!!!

I pushed everything I found to Github: GitHub - MRoc/MSynth: MSynth was a small DAW for Windows with sequencer, synthesizer and drum machines.

4 Likes

Thanks for that MROC!..I don’t see it as mediocre though, have seen worse for sure…The concept/idea behind it very nice/fast/simple with clever ‘synth module stacking’…

Reminds me of the Bram Bros Tuareg…Along those lines but more straightforward with the segments all being able to be opened at will…