Multiple Renoise Slaves

i know this has already been suggested here:

but following discussion here:

i thought i’d start a new thread surrounding the specific idea i’ve created a proof of concept for, to demonstrate why i think multiple Renoise slaves would be really useful to have.

this video (sorry for the poor quality) demonstrates 2 instances of renoise being controlled via two different midi yoke output channels and using DirectSound to get audio from both. a max/msp patch is used to provide independent transport controls which allow sync between the two renoises. a midi slider assigned to volume control and inverse volume control then acts as the crossfader:

http://www.jonweinel.com/media_files/renoise_mixer.zip

when you click start on renoise deck a or renoise deck b in the patch, it begins the track on the corresponding renoise at the start of the next pattern on the other player. you can adjust bpm independently or sync them together. it basically works, but the sync isn’t perfect and it would be much better to pipe the audio from both renoises into max/msp and use an ASIO driver.

this is why i think multiple renoise slaves would be really useful. if you have this you can make a good external mixer in max/msp (or any other rewire master where its possible), which makes a DJ style approach using renoise tracks a very realistic possibility (and one customisable to individual requirements, so it wouldn’t need any other additions to renoise except the support for multiple slave instances).

+1

i like where this is going!

I have absolutely no use for this, but I do like the thread title.

+1

Might be a good idea to have as a feature…

niNja pWn3d

Great!!!Nice one.
Wish i could watch the video from work but this bloody computer is too old.

I’m hoping your crossfader and synch app would work well with a new step sequencing technique I’ve been using for cutting through jungle loops in real time:

wow thats really cool… nice controller too!

with a controller like that you’d already be set for having sliders on one side mapped to the renoise A and the other sliders to renoise B. however another idea i had for people who have just one set of sliders (or if you want both sets at your disposal one track A and B) is to have it set up so that you move the crossfader past 50% and it switches between sending MIDI control signals from the renoise A to the renoise B.

so in other words:
say you’re playing one track on renoise A and you have 8 sliders. you want to use those 8 sliders to control various effect parameters on that track. but when you crossfade to renoise B, you want to use those same sliders to control parameters on that track, because otherwise you need a second controller. so when you move the crossfader to the right, it stops sending the midi signal from those sliders to renoise A, and sends it to renoise B instead… and vice versa.

Cheers

Yes… now that would be great. I’ve got both sides mapped here (one to each instance) But I really like your idea of sharing the set-up for the two channels. Makes it easy to configure for virtually any controller; big or small. Niceness!

Just checked out your crossfader video! Love it. It looks very practical and useful. You’ve mapped a good volume slope to the crossfader too. Impressive stuff! :lol: Will your crossfader patch work in Max runtime?

i’ll build a version of this patch as an application when i get chance (so you won’t need max/msp or the runtime installed as its included). i need to sort out a couple of major things with it first, but i’ll link to a very basic version of the patch soon…

Bump. :)

bump, was the max patch ever released?

I’ve got a set coming up wouldn’t mind giving it a go with this.

was wondering is it possible to rewire renoise with renoise??

Good Question but I don’t think it can, sometimes I try with new releases, but no luck so far.

ok i just wondered,never tried it out myself

I thought this was a ReWire limitation that applications cannot server themselves as master or slave.