Multitap Delay

Until a little while ago I used to never use the Multitap Delay because I thought of it purely as a difficult to control dub delay effect. However after I discovered how versatile it is I must say that it is just about one of the best dsps I have. Kudos renoise team!
I thought I’d start this thread since the dsp is kind of difficult to get figured out at first, so here are some of the ways I use it. If you know more techniques please share them here!

1. multiband filter
    Forget about the delay function for a second. If you mute the source you can use it as a powerful parallel and serial multiband filter with 4 filters. To disable delay either apply Line Sync and set it to 0 (This will make the signal delay 1 sample) or set a -1 ms delay in the track settings and set the multitaps delay to 1 ms (This won’t work with the Process track Dsp to Sample but there will be no delay at all).
    Now you have 4 parrallel filters that can be routed and automated for awesome substractive synth sounds. Check out KURTZ’s formant chain to see what can be done with this technique. Easy Formants for Renoise 2.8
    If you want wub-wubs this is the best technique I’ve found besides maybe using fabfilter’s saturn VST. Just make a LFO, route it through a hydra device and make it control a lowpass filter’s frequency and a highpass filter’s amount and maybe add a bandpass filter. There you go, talking wobbely wub-wubs on any kind of input signal without distortion. Instant DnB or Brostep in just 5 minutes.

2. Spatial Design
    This is very similar to just multiband filtering but just with adding a bit of delay to the different filters while leaving the feedback at 0%. Try using this instead of EQing percussion, it’s not as easy to control since the delay will also cause phasing but it adds a lot of presence if you keep the low of a hit mono and then delay the highs and mids so they stereo spread .
    Also try adding a signal follower device, route it through a hydra and make it control the frequency cutoffs and amounts. you can get simple sounds to sound incredibly dynamic this way and if you pump the highs enough you can even get lofi sample to sound hifi!

3. Phasing, Flanging, Chorusing and Combing
    Essentially if you set the delay to be very little you can use it as multiple phasers and combfilters. Take a look at the Metal Tap and ReLord Speaketh presets and try automating the Delay values. It takes a while to set up and it’s a lot more difficult to tweak than the comb, chorus, flanger and phaser DSPs but you can get some really impressive result by using the Multitap delay this way. Especially with advanced automation.

4. Dub delay
    I still can figure this out… I just use a VST -_-

THANK YOU SIR!! I’ve been using the multitap (rather than plain delay) just for attenuating high frequencies in the output signal (giving a more natural sounding echo) but… whoa!!

Can’t wait to see what you come up with next :D :D

a fantastic insight into this tool; excellent stuff!

For dub delay, set one of your taps for 85% feedback and a tight filter of your choice, usually bandpass. Put a maximixer after it to keep it from destroying your mix. Works best on a send bus.