Musescore & Renoise. Any possible relationship?

Some time ago I tried Musescore, which is a free music notation software, and for some reason it didn’t convince me.

But lately I have given it another chance, and now I think it’s a great software to compose in sheet music.

I would like to know if anyone knows any way to link Renoise song data, which uses XML files, with data to represent notes in the Musescore scores, which also uses the XML format to save data. This would be to handle only text data, which would be very light.

If Renoise had some kind of relationship with Musescore it would be great.

I doubt that an LUA tool can be built that can convert Renoise XRNS songs, into a direct score for Musescore. I guess the only link would be the XML file data.

If someone is interested and knows these issues, it would be nice to investigate all this.

I imagine a tool that can turn you into a score pattern for Musescore, and it would be extraordinary.

Why Musescore? It is a free, open source software and on top of it it is very well done, surprising to be a free software. It is a luxury that such things exist. It has constant maintenance and a long history. It is compatible with MIDI to play several instruments (use the sound card for that) and among other things it allows you to export the sheet music in PDF.

So, does anyone have any ideas on this subject? I find it very interesting for any musician who uses Renoise.

Initially, I have in mind the problem of note offs to determine the duration of the rhythmic figures, as well as the accumulated notes in the same column, the configuration of continuous notes and all those things. It seems very complicated.

1 Like

regarding note offs - i assume that this could be done just by meter/tact signature placement. For example, you have 4/4 whereas 3 notes are 1/4, so break/pause/silence will be 1/4 as well, there could be some simple logic which says if metric is 4/4 and note off is starting on 4th measure, and ending 0.2193129 msecs before end of meter, extend it to the very end of meter?
i probably overlooked other stuff, but to me this seems simple.

accumulated notes? what’s wrong with that? depends on the piece itself, orchestration etc. This is not something that is ‘undefined’ It should be, as for composed pieces…
I’ve studied music academy, and i see no issues with these stuff. Even comand 0Dxy could be used as legato passage/downward thrillers < however you call them in english :smiley:

1 Like

I say it from the point of view of programming, not from the musical composition.
In the supposed case of creating a program to detect where each note stops, attending to what is written in the pattern, this would be entangled with Renoise, because it would be necessary to define each musical figure for its duration taking into account all the possibilities.
Several examples A note, with note off, would be relatively simple, knowing the tempo of the song, the bar.

A note without note off How do you calculate its duration? In addition, the transition between patterns is also convoluted. One note could start in one pattern and stop in another.

The simplest would be that all the notes had an associated a note-off. Any other case would be convoluted. It certainly wouldn’t be easy.

On the other hand, the accumulated notes with continuous NNA would also be quite convoluted to determine the duration of each note. Notes with loop and fade out. Things like that. There really are a lot of problems.

Read only a pattern full of notes and tell me when each note stops, without hearing the sound. With only the data written in the pattern, it is probably impossible to determine the duration of each note.

Here are two cases:

1. Create data for Musescore from Renoise patterns.
  2. Create data in Renoise patterns from Musescore.

Probably, the second case would be possible. The first no (always from the point of view of programming). It turns out that, in particular, the most interesting would be the first case.

1 Like

that would be great
use sometimes easyabc (very limited but nice export functions) for sheet music, be faster as with mouse in guitarpro (its similar to musescore)

http://abcnotation.com/software
https://code.google.com/archive/p/abclua/ :thinking: