Music And Narrow-mindedness

here

if it were “the aphex twin act” i’d be with you

not saying you believe he’s two people.

i don’t think it’s as easy to confuse in the same manner as Dom + Roland

Wow this brought back a musical conflict I had while growing up. My older brother and sisters were listening to Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, etc. in the 70s when I was a little kid. I loved Black Sabbath and remember listening to the records when I was 5. How I loved Iron Maiden when they hit the scene. I also remember listening to a local radio station that was playing hip-hop as it was emerging. I remember this great sense of division which was always very troublesome as a youth. I loved both styles. I begin liking everything.

Anyways. I was also the same with various friends. I am sure all of you experienced this. Kids seem to follow these molds. Almost like presets.

Example - Kid A listens to heavy metal therefore his friends all (for the most part) listen to heavy metal. The hip-hop kids had their circle - The new wave pre-goth/industrial has another - and the list goes on.

I remember friends talking me into throwing away all of my rap cassettes because… IT WAS RAP! I feel like an absolute moron for doing it.

Anyone else ever been in a position growing up where your friends thought there was something wrong with listening to such contrasting styles?

[quote=“rendemon, post:58, topic:23779”]
LAWL, I was bothered with the same questions some years ago, but from a certain age I didnt give a damn about any other music interests or opinions.
For example, mtv, emo, whatever is cool today. Most people I know are like “omg they are stupid to listen to them OMFG!!1”, I am more like "they listen what they feel like, it doesnt bother me :D".
Dont get me wrong, I like to talk with others about music I like, but Im not someone "who listens electronic

Any of the so called friends I had that would discriminate based on musical preference weren’t friends for long. I had quite a few oldschool goth friends after highschool though who listened to everything from your standard gothic or industrial faire to acts like Public Enemy, Aqua, Peter Gabriel, and even Boney M. These friends, like myself, were open to almost anything, and appreciated the fact that I was open to new and old music alike… whether it was cliche, tacky, or even pop.

Perhaps that explains why I didn’t have a whole lot of friends in high school- I didn’t choose a genre either, I just picked a little of everything that I liked. I only bought tapes of things I couldn’t borrow.

Considering how much more interesting (to me) early Rap is compared to what it has become, I’d lament losing all those tapes too.

java script:emoticon(’ :walkman:', ‘smid_20’)

i want to dig up this old topic because it’s quite relevant in my opinion. i want to share some of my experience when it comes to people and music.

when i first discovered that i have a specific taste in music i started listening to the rap and pop music that was popular at that time. soon i drifted towards bands like KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot and, not to forget, gabber. that was around the late 90s, early 2000.
after some time my taste in music became more diverse, i opened up to more complex and heavy music of all genres, classical music, rock/metal/industrial/gothic/progressive, electronic music, japanese music and so on. i’ve listened to anything that would challange my taste and broaden my horizon.

but at some point i noticed that i went a little bit too far. the people i knew didn’t listen to what i was listening to, it was too “hardcore” for them. they were listening to music because they wanted to be entertained.
so while all my friends were listening to pop and rap i was listening to Muse, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Mindless Self Indulgence or chiptunes. while they were listening to Linkin Park, Beatsteaks, Die Toten Hosen (for those of you who might know them) and much later Muse i was listening to System of a Down, Devil Driver, Rammstein, Portishead, Amon Tobin, Boards of Canada, etc. and even the people who listened to the Prodigy drew a line, when i came with gabber and schranz, and said that only Nazis and idiots listen to that stuff.

now i am again at a point where i’m angry about what is happening around me because people are “rediscovering” electronic music but not with what was good and what is good but with stuff like Paul Kalkbrenner (a german producer that became mainstream famous after the movie Berlin Calling), David Guetta or all that bullshit that people call “dubstep” now.
a friend of mine who was listening to grindcore and was part of a grindcore band (!) was motivated by Berlin Calling to start producing electronic music and now he produces dubstep.

every young, sophisticated person that i know is either a fan of Kalkbrenner, Guetta or Skrillex, it’s the new thing. they are the faces of electronic music for a lot of people right now and i just facepalm at the thought of it. NOT because they are bad producers, quite the contrary, but because their mainstream fans are full of crap.
don’t even get me started on indy rock/punk bands which can be as bad as all the mainstream stuff.

maybe i’m the one who’s narrow-minded but i don’t see how people can fall for the same tralala year after year. there is no challange, there is no atmosphere, no deep context or story. the only thing they got is one dimensional emotions like “happy”, “sad”, “angry”, “horny” and if the lyrics don’t tell them how they should feel they wouldn’t even know.

i guess i’m grossly overgeneralizing the situation but then again, when i say for example that i listen to electronic music (without going into any genres because they wouldn’t know them), they instantly judge me by what they consider electronic music to be.
eventually i’ve stopped talking to people about music.

so yeah, sry for the rant but narrow-mindedness is a bitch.

don’t see the problem…
music is not so important for lots of people : just something to have fun or to put in the back while having a beer. it’s a bit like paint or anything. somes like it beautifull some want to go deeper, or darker, or anything.
good honest and meanigfull music while find it way to the right people if you work enough. but don’t expect big money or fame if it’s the road you wanna take. at the end of the day it’s all about the true expression of oneself : don’t give up !
(perhaps you’ll find my music even darker and weirder then yours lol)

if you want some really weird music check the naked city (free jazz meet death metal)