Music And Narrow-mindedness

I heard this joke from the radio…

How many musicians does it take to screw in a light bulb ?

1 and 8 to stand around him and say he sucks

i head this on DOA:

how many junglists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

1. 1 to do the work, and 99 to say they liked it better when it was darker.
  • How many Renoise users does it take to replace a light bulb?
    1. One to replace the bulb. One to complain that the bulb could use AutoReplace feature. One to suggest another, totally unrelated feature. And 12 to post “+1”, to either of those suggestions without specifying which one.

I’ve put a lot of time and effort in discovering genres and music that I wouldn’t normally listen to, e.g. I didn’t like Sepultura, Nile, Origin and all sorts of hasty metal a couple of years ago but nowadays I enjoy listening to it. I forced myself to listen through artists that a lot of people enjoy listening to simply because I wanted to find out what’s the good thing about these. Now that I’m used to the new genre, I also find the beauty and all the details that attract other people. So I could say you can learn to appreciate and enjoy any genre after some serious hard work. Is it worth the effort then? For me it is. There are now fewer occasions in which people listen to such music I don’t enjoy listening to. One of the few genres I still dislike is reggae and all of its children.

I’ve noticed that some of my friends have an urge to categorize themselves by means of clothing and music. Some of my metal liking friends won’t even try listening to anything too electronic, because they want to stay “true” to their one love.

I disagree. Venetian Snares’ name is a plural (more than one snare) so it’s a fair assumption to make and a forgiveable mistake in my opinion. Same with Dom + Roland or Aphex Twin (and many others.)

You should just be happy people have been willing to at least give the music a listen and decide they don’t like it from their own evaluation, rather than pigeon-holing it as something they don’t like without even giving it a chance.

It’s just always amusing when people knock down music when it’s plainly obvious they don’t know anything about it ;)

True. But if somebody recommended you listen to some music by The Egg because they absolutely loved it, you gave a couple of albums a listen and decided it really wasn’t your thing you wouldn’t look into it much more would you? Now you come across a thread on the internet which digresses into “Isn’t The Egg the bestest!” You would probably comment something along the lines of “I don’t like his music” because the name is a singular whereas in fact it’s a band.

Kapish? Or do you just not agree?

I’m of the thought that if I’m going to take the time to bash something, I’m going to make sure my facts are straight. Also, if I didn’t know whether it was a band or a single artist I’d simply say “I don’t like The Egg much from the few songs I’ve heard.” … both scenarios are much better than making an ass out of myself.

I dunno, the smiley in the original post by Hooligan/DCS made me think it was all a bit tongue in cheek. His replies since seemed pretty balanced, even if he didn’t know V.Snares was a single person (even though he makes the odd appearance on here.)

I know I’ve made the mistake in the past and it was somebody I did like. We all make the occasional mistake and surely we should be just as tolerant of these as other people’s taste in music.

when i make mistakes, i expect to be grilled.

btw, Aphex Twin is singular…

+1

Open mindedness in music is not commercially viable. If do not comply with our request to desist in ignoring the box we will take the appropriate legal action.

Hooray. Finally someone got it. Took longer than I expected :lol:

I totally disagree, totally 110%. If I don’t like some act there is no reason whatsoever for me to go dig information about it, not whether its a band or a single person performing or any other irrelevant info either. It wouldn’t change anything. The music would still be crap in my opinion.

You misread me dude. I said “If I’m going to take the time to bash it”… that is, if I’m going to open my big mouth on a subject, I’d rather be right about the facts. Otherwise, I’d likely just stfu about it.

I wasn’t. I just gave an example to your “if”-situation. I find it silly to require some kind of larger expertise about something which doesn’t suit ones taste. Just my 5 eurocents. Somehow I feel you take this just a bit too personal, lighten up… its only difference in tastes of music.

Really? I always thought it was a band made up of 7 Albanian pixies and a Roland keyboard :wacko:

LAWL, I was bothered with the same questions some years ago, but from a certain age I didnt give a damn about any other music interests or opinions.
For example, mtv, emo, whatever is cool today. Most people I know are like “omg they are stupid to listen to them OMFG!!1”, I am more like "they listen what they feel like, it doesnt bother me :D".
Dont get me wrong, I like to talk with others about music I like, but Im not someone “who listens electronic music only!!!”. I listen music with an open mind and thats maybe why I can talk to almost everyone about music and I think its great.
I am just doing my thing and I am absolutely not the type of guy who wants others to get convinced by my music taste or something.

-my 2 cents :D

same here. but no, i’m talking about the word “Twin”, which means one of two, not two.

But if two twins perform together on stage it’s called a twin act, not a twins act.

And where did I ever try and insinuate that RDJ is more than one person anyway?