Music For A Friend's Indie Film

I have a friend who has started pre-production on his NYU film school thesis film. It is to be a comedy set during the 80s, during Christmas time. He has asked me if I could help him with the music. This is a small budget indie film, so keep that in mind. Full credit will be given. Anything specific I can address with my friend if requested.

I have 2 pieces in particular that I am looking for:

1. a 30 sec spot to be played over a toy commercial, should sound 80s-ish, no lyrics just music. Think GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, etc. Probably about 120 bpm or higher. Something that would make a kid watching the commercial get really excited for.
  2. a closing song, about 3 minutes, with an upbeat energetic feel. Should contain lyrics that are Christmas/holiday themed, nothing vulgar or crude. What he reference for energy level was the Ramones, “I Wanna Be Sedated”.

Now I create music as well and I have worked on both pieces myself, but I am not sure I can pull it off. I want to give my friend the best possible pieces and am thinking about the task objectively. Sometimes for something to be good we need to hand it over to the experts. Especially in the case of the 1st scenario. I personally am finding it hard to boil a piece down to 30 seconds and have it be effective.

I can provide info about my friend and his background, etc. if you are interested. Just PM me if you have specific questions you don’t want here.

Thanks!

something like this (for the commercial)?

all slightly longer than 30 secs though but that can probably be fixed.

That’s very close, the first one especially. The sound of the 80s is definitely there! The commercial is for a bad ass action figure so do you have anything with a little tougher?

Thanks for the reply!