Music In Your Dreams

surely the music would wake you up?

A few years back I had a very intense composing dream. I managed to wake up and remember what I was making and went straight to Renoise - I got it down successfully.

The track is called Meteor Shower and is the closing track on the album I’m not far off releasing. A select few of you have heard this track already.

I quit music for over a year and a half after a dream…

I woke up with these two songs in my head - in those moments before you’ve figured out which reality is real - and those two songs were so good I sort of felt like there was no point making music any more… As I came to, it gradually dawned on me that the band I’d experienced in my sleep - they looked a bit like Midnight Star - and the songs, didn’t exist…

I still had them ringing in my head, but they were fading… After 5 minutes I was struggling to keep hold of them; within 10, they’d vanished…

It took a long time to resolve that, because for all the conscious effort you go to, inspiration you look for, writing techniques you employ in the day, it’s not even scratching the surface of your own mind’s natural creativity…

Being awake whilst making music or art is probably the most counter-intuitive thing you can do… But, of course, there’s no way to record the results doing it any other way!