Mutant Breaks #11 - VOTING (review and win a copy of Redux!)

If you want to gain 3 extra points, then review all of the tracks.
You can review only your favourite 1 or 3 or 6 or 15 tracks. Or just don’t review. :slight_smile:

@ Komu : Should the reviews be in this thread or the original Mutant Breaks thread?

@ Komu : Should the reviews be in this thread or the original Mutant Breaks thread?

Both are ok. :smiley: There is already some reviews in the original thread, so I guess that’s better.

15. Komu - Dawn Of A New Beginning: Super cinematic at the start beginning. Atmosphere is slowly building and building. I could easily enjoy a full 5+ minute track of just the intro section. Extra points for the alternating bars of 9/4 and 7/4. Lots of really nice textures happening throughout the bouncy pumping main body.

Thank you! That intro was originally over 4 minutes long, but I thought that it was too long for regular listener. :confused: :slight_smile:

Thank you for the great reviews! :slight_smile:

sunnk - heat death Holy shit! I love this tracks insane, constant build-up. The last part almost blew my speakers out.

Great idea, incredible execution.

1. VΔƎPЯISM - θɜːmɪk [Thermic]: Love the desolate atmosphere especially at the beginning of the song. Very good composition with nice natural sounding samples. It feels like after a nuclear war. Reminds me of VENETIAN SNARES a bit, which I like a lot.

Could have a little more variation towards the end.

2. sodiufas – Glaciers:

This tracks generates an eerie atmosphere of melting claciers with very little samples. It’s lacking a bit in the low frequency range. Maybe adding some rumbling drones would help a lot.

3. Stailer - Hymn To Nature:

Great composition and production, which feels well balanced. A bit too cheesy for my taste though :wink: I like the tribal drums.

4. Garfferen - The End:

One of my faves. Great professional production again. Everything is well separated and has its own place. Sounds fits well to each other. I like the punchy sound which reminds me on Prodigy.

5. ghismart - WIND and FIRE on EARTH:

Definitely an innovative track with nice variations. I have the feeling the song could profit from better gluing the sounds.

6. TheBellows MB#11 - 2018 - Global Warning:

Great and thoroughly arranged track. Technically perfect, but I somewhat miss a kind of atmosphere.

7. basicmethods - MB11 Session:

I don’t know why, but this sounds french to me? Are you french? Kick is maybe a bit too prominent. Beside of that a great track, which is not exactly my taste. Well mixed… Reminds me a bit of Daft Punk.

8. wurzelgemüse – gigantomanie:

There’s some innovation in here, but was there something else-related? :stuck_out_tongue: Mix sounds good to me. Where are the samples from?

9. Maya Azem - Climate Sceptic In The Antarctic:

Nice jazzy sounds with some nice twits.

1. Lilith 93 - Climate Change: —

11. RedPanda13 - ManBearPig Is Real, Im Cereal!:

Samples have a bit too much high frequencies at the begining. Nice bass and beat. Definitely not getting boring. Well produced. Not my type of music, but somehow I like it.

12. Thermal Reflections by CryoKitsune:

Nice positive tune.

13. FX Send - Puffin Iceberg:

Great production again. Another track which reminds me on VENETIAN SNARES. One of my faves.

14. lusd. - Global Warming – 0.67:

Very entertaining. Mix sounds a bit muddy to my ears. It needs more higher frequencies and more openness.

15. Komu - Dawn Of A New Beginning:

Again one of my faves. Very good production, great sounds, great atmosphere!

16. Fosterr_Gump - Gump 128.5773:

Too much compression for my taste, I would prefer more dynamics.

17. sunnk - heat death:

Great production with an in your face punchy sound. Special and refreshingly different.

18. Rægæ - System Local Cooler:

Nice organic jazzy sounds. Luckily not overcompressed.

19: Mutant Breaks - Global Warming - 0.67

The song would win a lot of the production would be better. IMO the high frequencies are missing.

@_Mannaz230: Samples are from here:

VΔƎPЯISM - θɜːmɪk [Thermic]: … Crunchy biscuit beats… I would dip this track in milk and/or tea.

I love this!!! I want to see a track dipped in tea, or perhaps beats like a tim tam that I want to slurp the insides through a hot cuppa coffee. This has to be one of the best reviews i’ve received if not just for the great analogy but it also makes me want a cuppa n a biscuit.

Also on another review, ‘“WOOO!!!” sample made me grin like a dickhead.’

Aaaand that’s won me for best reviews.

Lots of quality tracks here and congratz to everyone who entered…

Favorite track, I voted for sunnk - heat death

It left me feeling I had been repeatedly punched in the face, had my wallet stolen and left a wake of small children crying.

It is relentless which kind of sums up Global Warming for me.

Lots of quality tracks here and congratz to everyone who entered…

Favorite track, I voted for sunnk - heat death

It left me feeling I had been repeatedly punched in the face, had my wallet stolen and left a wake of small children crying.
It is relentless which kind of sums up Global Warming for me.

:smiley: lol

1. VΔƎPЯISM - θɜːmɪk [Thermic]: Lovely haunting intro, leaves it open with suspense and then you get that Massive Attack percussive skippiness and the vibes get a bit more uplifting. Very nice

2. sodiufas – Glaciers: Ambient track with horror. I imagine it fitting in well with something like Penumbra: Overture which has this icy, unsettling atmosphere about it.

3. Stailer - Hymn To Nature: Satisfying repetition at the start and then it goes all Final Countdown with a punchy lead, which is heavy but actually works quite well.

4. Garfferen - The End: I’m a fan of Infected Mushroom and this track does a good job of hitting the spot. The swing feel to it is cool.

5. ghismart - WIND and FIRE on EARTH: Percussion here is really nice, I love how all the sounds bounce along together. It’s given me inspiration to sample my TR-09 and arse around with its pitch settings and the like.

6. TheBellows MB#11 - 2018 - Global Warning: The bubbly synth is pleasant to listen to and I think the overlapping melodies give it a very cushy, vibrant feel.

7. basicmethods - MB11 Session: A warm house chord with a pleasant rhythm and some welcome guitar and voice samples. I might of slapped a few more percussive elements onto it myself, but I’m a drum maniac (don’t listen to me)

8. wurzelgemüse – gigantomanie: The pitch shifting percussion here is top, really nice. The whole track builds a unique atmosphere like I’ve lept into an Aphex Twin track.

9. Maya Azem - Climate Sceptic In The Antarctic: A strong stab at the infamously stupid Donald Trump and tells a story from start to finish. The later pads are lush, present, and it makes me feel this would fit wonderfully in a giant city lit up at night.

10. Lilith 93 - Climate Change: Huge Kraftwerk’y track with bouncing bass and plucky delayed leads and percussion. I like the transition in the middle.

11. RedPanda13 - ManBearPig Is Real, Im Cereal!: Nice heavy bass and leads, this was a pretty cool one!

12. Thermal Reflections by CryoKitsune: A fun and chirpy track which would alignwell with a retro game with lush colours and a personable protagonist.

13. FX Send - Puffin Iceberg

14. lusd. - Global Warming – 0.67: A little short but I like what is getting done here! It would be cool to see the drums come through a bit more.

15. Komu - Dawn Of A New Beginning: An eerie melody with a powerful kick drum, I totally dig it. This is another atmospheric track and especially highlights global warming’s toxicity.

16. Fosterr_Gump - Gump 128.5773: Exceptionally trippy like I’m in a giant tin can with some interesting sounds. I would have liked to have heard the arp at the end a bit more in other parts of the track.

17. sunnk - heat death: Heavy and full throttle, drums inspired a bit like a more serious version of Bucephalus Bouncing Ball, but it is very welcome. It’s not like something I’ve heard before but it spells intrigue.

18. Rægæ - System Local Cooler: A plethora of intriguing sounds and a cool jam session. The warping at the end is smooth and a nice finish. I now really want to pick up guitar again!

*** 13. FX Send - Puffin Iceberg:** Oh wow, I’m loving this immediately. Major Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding / later modular VS vibes here, from the meandering melancholy melody to the razor sharp broken glass beats. Maintains enough structure despite being the most chaotic track I’ve heard so far. Wonderful song structuring and pacing, and the “WOOO!!!” sample made me grin like a dickhead. This is my favourite so far! Waaaaay too short tho, I need more of this in my ears.

Thanks man :slight_smile: Your comment on the sample was hilarious! I’m a big fan of the stuff he does so it definitely took influence from that.

And thanks to everyone else for the reviews!

i would honestly listen to a full 8 minute track of that!

I’m going to make a full track of that intro!

I’m voting for myself, because its the only one entry wich at least convey the title of itself. But guys you did amazing stuff, i’m proud of this community, and big thanks to Komu! You just saved this year!

Did I mention that the most voted Mutant will recieve 5 points!

All native + 5 points

All reviews + 3 points

Vote victory + 5 points

Vst used/shared .xrns + 1 point

1. VΔƎPЯISM - θɜːmɪk [Thermic]

Cool melodies.
It reminds me a 12 monkeys movie. Bruce Willis searching for answers! :slight_smile:
I would make the sounds slightly lo-fi. Add hiss and vibrato or something like that. Nice spooky and questioning overall vibe.

1. sodiufas – Glaciers

This is like a slow-motion space basketball game. I love it. I can listen this surprisingly long periods of time. Great work. Maybe this should be taken to even further, new sound coming in after 5 minutes or something like that?

1. Stailer - Hymn To Nature

This is so dope. I love when the track starts, you think “okay this is going to be a straightforward house track”, but then it goes to some kind of future spaceship chase movie in the jungle. :smiley:
And the singing part!! Aah love it!
There is a little snap at the beginning of the second vocal line, gating and adjusting attack would solve that.
Great mix. Big and clear sounds. 10/10.

1. Garfferen - The End

That snare is so dope! And that Climbatize/acid section is cool!!
You know what I do not like? … That Jingle Bells section. It makes me want to strangle someone. And I’m not even kidding. Why Garfferen, why?

1. ghismart - WIND and FIRE on EARTH

There is some cool sounds.
This track has a weird frustrated racing against time - vibe. I don’t know, this makes me kind of speechless.

1. TheBellows MB#11 - 2018 - Global Warning -

Yes, acid! You can write a tune. Really great melodies and sounds. You can get a great Ep out of this if you make the sections longer and divided them in to own tracks.
But I think something is missing? Or is it your mix? It’s a bass heavy track, but that bass is a little loose I think.
Great and solid work. :slight_smile:

1. basicmethods - MB11 Session

After first clap my brains keep telling me that: “yes in the next bar there is a clap again”. But you are sneaky little producer and waited, well done. Nice build up! Cool guitars!

1. wurzelgemüse - gigantomanie

This is great. It reminds me one of the bad dreams what I use to have when I was a child. In a dream I was in a big tube and some kind of firm liquid chases me. It was terrifying…
Cool track, nice sounds!

1. Maya Azem - Climate Sceptic In The Antarctic

This is solid. Trump’s voice sounds cool on a track, and it catches the listeners attention.
Dope sounds. Love those long chords, and the simplicity. This is one of my favourites.

1. Lilith 93 - Climate Change

This groove makes me happy. Interesting atmosphere, it’s playful and serious at the same time. Great sounds again! Good job.

1. RedPanda13 - ManBearPig Is Real, Im Cereal!

Really great composition. Southpark lines are funny, but I think this track might be better without them!? Maybe a bit too much treble in the mix, but really great work! Thumbs up!

1. Thermal Reflections by CryoKitsune

I would love to play this game! It takes me back in time! Composition is superb! Minimalism at its finest! I want to hug everybody!

1. FX Send - Puffin Iceberg

The start is hypnotizing! Great melodies, and tight drum programming. High pads would fit perfectly? Great track!

1. lusd. - Global Warming – 0.67

Yeah DnB! It could be a much longer. Siren sound fits perfectly! Bit muddy mix, but in the other hand it fits here. It’s like you’re sitting in a police car, and listening this through their radio :smiley:

1. Komu - Dawn Of A New Beginning

This is mine. Hope you like it. :slight_smile:

1. Fosterr_Gump - Gump 128.5773

Spooky and weird things happening here. It’s just too over compressed, it’s hard to listen. Good stuff anyway!

1. sunnk - heat death

Sound design is a spot on! Next level shit. This definitely will do something to a person who listens this. That Bpm pumping is inspiring. It’s one of the heaviest track I have ever listened. Hats off!

1. Rægæ - System Local Cooler

Well, I don’t know what to say about this. Cool, but it sounds incomplete or work in progress. Aina kun laulussa mainitaan makkara, niin se piristää päivää. Paitsi jos sen tekee Popeda niin se ei kyllä piristä.

And my vote goes to Stailer :yeah: :guitar:

We need more reviews! It’s the final day of voting. About 14 hours to go.
If it’s a tie, I will extend the deadline couple of days

:panic:WHAT ? :panic:14 HOURS ? :panic:ONLY ? :panic:

Home-Alone-8-bit-video-MAIN.jpg

Sorry for my bad english, this is my (short) reviews with a top 6 :

(Place 1) 11. RedPanda13 - ManBearPig Is Real, Im Cereal!

I love arp and voice evolution in intro… Pad, Wooble are magical : )

Emotion, big sounds, breaks. For me it’s perfect.

**(Place 2)**Garfferen - The End

WooOOo, i love this track. I seen “John Wick (1 and 2)”

I think this track would be ideal for this movie.

**(Place 3)**15. Komu - Dawn Of A New Beginning

Superb introduction… HHats and reverb perfect. At 4:38 : the mood changes, with a melody that stays in the head for hours.

Ideal for thriller/suspense movie. Just a little bit repetitive :wink:

(Place 4) VΔƎPЯISM - θɜːmɪk [Thermic]

I love piano line and ambiance. Ideal for a movie like “Wind River”

**(Place 5)**TheBellows MB#11 - 2018 - Global Warning -

Western / Electronic. I love arrangements and evolution.

(Place 6) Maya Azem - Climate Sceptic In The Antarctic

Intro is a good ambiance, i like… But at 1:05 i love… Atmosphere change, emotion is here.

I would have liked a new melodic sound on the end.

1. sodiufas - Glaciers

Many images, good atmosphere, i like stereo.

It lacks for me an evolution towards melodies.

1. Stailer - Hymn To Nature

I wanted the lead to sound like a trumpet and the voices to trigger an emotion. I hope to have arrived

VST used :
Spire : Lead
Nexus2 : Electronic ARP

Kontakt Action Strikes : Big Drums for movie : )

FM7 : old school strings

Ultrabass MX : old school bass

Serum : FX Siren, for transition

1. ghismart - WIND and FIRE on EARTH

Minimalist track. I like voice repetition and bass.

1. basicmethods - MB11 Session

Very good jazzy/house track… a little bit repetitive for me. Voice/lead at end are perfect on this sound :slight_smile:

1. wurzelgemüse - gigantomanie

Minimal and industrial track. Good mix and rythmics.

1. Lilith 93 - Climate Change

Original music, many good sounds. Voice is a good idea.

1. Thermal Reflections by CryoKitsune

I love Arp ! very good reverb and delay on different instruments. Good melody and sound at 1:38

1. FX Send - Puffin Iceberg

the melody and the chords are very well chosen.

1. lusd. - Global Warming - 0.67

Good ideas but the mix needs to be redone and the music longer

1. Fosterr_Gump - Gump 128.5773

Industrial / Experimental track. Strange but i like.

1. sunnk - heat death

Good introduction. Strange for me but sounds are perfect and massive.

1. Rægæ - System Local Cooler

Very original electonic/reggae/instrumental track.

Global warming? Here I pun to save the day!!!

1. VΔƎPЯISM - θɜːmɪk [Thermic]
    no puns for me, that’s how eye roll.

2. Sodiufas - Glaciers
    Don’t need good ice-sight to spot these glaciers. reverb so wet it’s drowning…
    if I close my eyes i can sea the ice shift.

3. Stailer - Hymn To Nature
    Drums soo big it would take me two buses and a train to get on their good side.
    ‘Great scott’ Doc screams, roland like a boss from the 80’s with a synth that blasts in like we are being shown a sine!
    Synths are warming up like the climate and we saw it coming!

4. Garfferen - The End
    Keys so juicy we can all live appley ever after! aaand into arcade mode and i’ve spent all my money.
    But that’s ok, it’s raining coins because there was change in the weather.
    Tuna fish? Don’t fret, how bout a guitar tune. Mr horse says the end is neigh.

5. Ghismart - WIND and FIRE on EARTH
    Footwork like they fit into a size 20, quite a feet! Drops the hammer; Fire Warning, we’re screwed,
    this is not a drill! Raw as a rare steak, tho this aint no missed steak, it’s on an elevator goin up,
    cause the steaks just got higher!

6. TheBellows MB#11 - 2018 - Global Warning -
    A warm taun taun is just luke warm but this slice of bread is toasty.
    Moar changes than the climate, but like a stale pair of underpants, change is a good thing.
    So many changes, it’s like a song about… changes? Yes. Yes are a band and they did do a song about changes.
    Yes? Yes indeed. I don’t know if they are a band but it is a song by Drake and Lil Baby.
    I think it was a cover of a Chubby Jackson all star band song, or maybe it was Tommy Dorsey?
    Lord Vader we found the rebel bass! Miss cow likes the way it’s allways mooooving.

7. Basicmethods - MB11 Session
    That kick drum is doing a bang up job, Let’s kick some ice! What’s that says the snare? beats me.
    Cool party, no cold feet cause we kick the Chill vibes.

8. Wurzelgemüse - gigantomanie
    climate change? jam that al gore rhythm. All the veggies want is peas on earth,
    so lettuce turnip the beet! Now we groovin, cheers! get ted danson, this goose gettin down!

9. Maya Azem - Climate Sceptic In The Antarctic
    Donald trunk thoughts are irrelephant… not food for thought when you donut understand the hole picture.
    Frequencies sooo good it hertz. Harmony! a few degrees. Flows so watery I can sea it.
    Try to catch that fog but mist.

10. Lilith 93 - Climate Change
    This danger is real? Obummer. Moar Synths but out of the Nordinary, like its the eighties,
    really sets the moog. The bottom line is the end.

11. RedPanda13 - ManBearPig Is Real, Im Cereal!
    Like the ice said to global warming, you crack me up.
    Bass so fat NASA orbits satellites around it. Waves of synths for days and I’m not tide.
    Man, breaking the sound bearier aint no boar!

12. CryoKitsune - Thermal Reflections
    Retro game sounds I don’t mind a bit. case of the punderwear, keeping it brief.
    Lets marsh mellow out!

13. FX Send - Puffin Iceberg
    Framed by a skeleton of arps, the twin is strong with this one.
    I wish the milk man delivered my milk in the morning…
    Legend dairy.

14. Lusd. - Global Warming - 0.67
    Dnb breaks, snap. We’re in a pickle here, running out of thyme.
    Here today, taragon tomorrow.

15. Komu - Dawn Of A New Beginning
    Slow build up. Peter panning left and right, so cinematic it’s a marvel iron pan.
    The sound on the moon has no atmosphere, but here on earth the rotation makes my day.

16. Fosterr_Gump - Gump 128.5773
    Don’t mind a slice of a little weird dough.
    It may go against the grain, but it rises to the occasion!

17. Sunnk - heat death
    wooah punch it chewie, keannu gonna keep this bus above 50!
    This track is the bomb, it’s gonna explode! If it were a cheese factory, there would be de brie everywhere.
    The mushroom cloud would be like ‘shiitake! I better put on my thunderwear.’

18. Rægæ - System Local Cooler
    Sounds swimming in otter space, did you planet that way? Not sure where it’s going and in comes the 6string.
    It could be nothing but treble, yet it somehow resonates.