MuTaNT•BReaKS••••#14 🙀

yay! been waiting for the playlist so I can just jam out and really get a feel for these tracks. so much good stuff ^v^

BTW, I used Audacity to bring my final render’s sample rate down to 48000 hz. Not sure if that invalidates the whole ‘all done in renoise’ thing or not, but worth mentioning just in case it does. :wink:

_

thx! btw your track is lovely. really has a weird, almost spacey vibe. Like something strange definitely went down with a ufo’s photocopier that a cat got into when no one was looking. that beat is really interesting, too. sounds like a happy incident, lol

idk if you are just trying to be nice, or if you are trying to insult mr. funk, but I actually really appreciate that, thank you<3

also, you’re blasting out windows and stuff. sounds massive, great job. me and my subwoofer both really enjoy your track, shit’s an elephant with a cat on it’s back!

haha, its soo messy, was rushed. Its actually pretty scarce on phrases, imo. Most instruments only have one phrase, would’ve been nice to have had time to do actual phrase work and switch around between them. I didnt really do any work on panning, either, just some stereo/width stuff, never even checked it on headphones because I dont have any. (I did however, manage to keep myself from using any automations, tho - i like to challenge myself that way because i get too used to using them)

anyways, like I said, its trashy. (but was super fun to make, dont get me wrong ^v^). Your entry is much better imo. much clearer. and like others said, it’s got that sorta flavor aphex twin can have. it’s spicy and sweet, I love it.
_

now… it’s time to go assault the neighborhood with cat music. gonna be crazy hard to vote, love all of these tracks! <3<3<3

3 Likes

3 Likes

This is insane, loving all the different textures you’ve got in here too

1 Like

Thanks! :heart: Out of all the DAWs and programs I have ever used, Renoise beats everything else workflow wise, easily, any day of the week. Renoise is the godtier of DAWs when it comes workflow IMO. I absolutely love how little you need your mouse with Renoise. Once you have your keyboard shortcuts down to science, you’re just on another level compared to any basic daws with piano rolls and a left-to-right timeline etc. For extra smooth workflow I have a also set up a basic midi controller with mutliple functionalities (rather than using a mouse, I prefer to set my balances and most FX parameters with eyes closed turning actual knobs/faders). I also have a full sized electric piano for midi input, an android tablet running TouchOSC and a separate monitor controller. Having a though-out template with all the utilities you might ever need is also a huge time saver when it comes time to write music. The same goes for having a collection of useful doofers and FX chains. I’m still working on my own template, due some “slight” CPU hickups :sweat_smile:, gotta find some workarounds for a couple of processing bottlenecks. So my template is actually extremely stripped down in this XRNS.

Wow man, thanks for your kind words! I appreciate it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yep, welcome to my life! :sweat_smile: :rofl: The bottleneck I’m constantly hitting up against is the limitations of processing power. I actually stripped the XRNS down three times during the process of writing this track, freezing and deleting some tracks, turning off modulations, simplifying my bus routing etc. all just to get my CPU use down to levels where I can work. I constantly have the same problem with Reaktor, and I’ve even run against this problem with Sunvox, which is just insanely well optimised. I have a pretty decent i7 machine, but it’s just not enough. Not even close if I wanted to work freely without worrying about CPU cycles.

Yep, my files can get pretty massive. I actually capped out on the maximum number of instruments while making the track. Had about 2,5Gb XRNS half way trough. :sweat_smile: Luckily there’s the “delete all unused instruments” option. The cats can apparently be pretty hard to spot. In the very beginning there is a quiet, almost “subliminal” purr in there. Same with the more “ambient” part (roughly 3 mins onward). I made quite a few cat based instruments, but most of them didn’t make it to the final track. :man_shrugging: I think there could have been more cat, it even kind of feels like its missing a single meow somewhere. Maybe I’ll add some more cat sounds later for a 2.0 version of the track. :thinking:
Also, thank you for your kind words! :heart: I also liked your track a lot! I’m really glad you participated! That is some really nice squelching you managed to pull out of Phoscyon! And really good use of the cat sample! :metal: :smirk_cat:

Thanks! I love textural stuff, it’s bit of an obsession really. Everything crunchy, wet, squelchy… :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Yes, it’s always like that if you’re using samples. That’s another reason why I prefer using VSTs. :wink:
The download of your xrns failed 3 times now, obviously it’s too big for my wireless internet at home. I will have to download it at work or via my laptop or leave it where it is. But regarding CPU usage, you would have similar problems if you’re using MANY VSTs, for example a lot of Omnisphere instruments (CPU heavy). Up to 70% CPU usage shown in Renoise is quite normal when running my songs. If I want to run these songs without glitches I have to deactive pattern scrolling and don’t do anything else on the computer than listening to the song.

Thank you! It was fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes