MuTaNT•BReaKS••••#14 🙀

I have built the track together with Lilith93 . We used VST’s. On the one hand Vital and on the other hand Odin2. There are also a few airwindows plugins in use. The cat sample starts at 5:45.

9 Likes

That atmosphere at the beginning, so good. :heart:

It sounds promising. Not just the intro, the whole track has some unresolved tension. It’s playing with my expectations in a nice way. I have the feeling that anytime soon it will burst into auditory violence, and it never does. Instead it keeps having subtle currents of energy pulling at me. Never quite at ease, which is fantastic!

I do wonder what it would be like if the drums were a bit looser. To my tastes they are a bit too tight. They offer a nice juxtaposition to the wall of reverbs and delays. But I can imagine it could add some more energy/tension if they were played by human. Think a little would go a long way. Then again, maybe I’m wrong about that.

It’s that you mentioned where the purring of the cat happens otherwise I don’t know if I would have picked up on it.

Anyways, stirring stuff you and @lilith did here. Very well done, indeed.

What/who are the vocals? Are they recorded specifically for this track?

3 Likes

advanced editor > group in song (drum bus) > vol/pan/dly/fx > modify > humanize :slight_smile:

@Adrezonar @lilith lovely tune! :heart_eyes_cat: prrrrrrrr

3 Likes

Oh my what a great track!!!Congrats guys

1 Like

Thanks all. @Adrezonar did over 90%. The drums come from me to large part and also the Riser which took me a whole evening. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ok, so you raised the bar with this one. Really good composition. I just wonder why everybody needs to tell where the cat sample can be heard. I thought all the songs should be about cats and not with a hidden cat sample somewhere. I don’t know if I will deliver the same quality, but one thing is for sure: There are NO questions about the cat. The cat will jump right into your face once you’ve started my track. And the cat will stay right there until the song ends. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I agree, I feel the cat should be a feature. Not a tacked on little thing to make it adhere to the rules. Though, the rules are clear, subtle cat use is okay. So pointing it out where it is in the tracks seems good.

Anyway,

Looking forward to that!

1 Like

Thank you, the idea with the rythmus I will test out :slight_smile: …the vocals I’ve picked up the last few days for free at ghosthack and then played freely with it, they are also just instruments if you will so

1 Like

yes, the cat sample… i wrote it especially, so that you can hear it… i had added it in the end and then sent the track to lilith. after some time he told me that we forgot the cat sample :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, my track will have cat samples that don’t have to be tagged to be heard :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Right. But it’s kinda strange having a cat theme and all the songs doesn’t have cat stuff inside, at least not clearly. Does it make sense? Just saying…

You’re creating a cat theme song and forget the cat, that’s great! :grin:

Sorry for the lack of mixing skills. Some vsts were used, but it’s all resampled.

Edit: had to change the melody because it sucked, now, i guess, i’ll have to buy soundcloud pro to replace the track :neutral_face:
now the finished version is on youtube:

here’s the xrns (it’s pretty messy):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VvCdoqhVnyH62FubdwJU6WlPyCo8pT8T?usp=sharing

cat samples are from my cat :slight_smile:

11 Likes

^^^dope :fire:

That’s fucking awesome. Your tracks feels to me like the way Hunter S. Thompson described the use of ether in Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, hear Johnny Depp tell it.

I’m not really sure what’s going on or how you did it but there’s some wizardry going on in this. I’m getting sucked into your tune and then time around seems to slow down, tearing itself apart while I travel through it. And then the chip tune arpeggio happens and it’s like I’m at an other level of existence. Wicked stuff!

Your cat only features at the end or did I miss it earlier?

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:
There is also a stretched cat sample in the middle.

1 Like

I missed some lore or something; mutant break, is that a certain feel or an obvious genre?

Do we still get the extra three points for no plugins if we render the vsti to samples?

Nah. Those extra points are for doing it all natively in renoise.

We can make a clear enough boundary… It’s fine to grab single cycles of waveforms from whatever you want, but all envelopes, filters, and modulation within instruments has to be native to get these few extra points. No rendering of other synths modulations. So, no external filter sweeps, or wavetable or spectral modulation, etc, except what you can do with stock renoise devices.

Wait, is there a distinction between rendering an external synth to an instrument and doing the same with a plugin? Just wondering, because I rendered a Pigments preset to an instrument for the base sound, but I replaced all its modulation and effects with native renoise stuff.

yeah, it’s a good question and kinda tricky because renoise is a sampler, first and foremost. Personally, I’d say if you’re using presets from other synths, then that doesn’t really count, unless it’s really just a short snippet (like a single cycle or tiny loop) that you’re using for further sound design in renoise, but renoise being what it is, all the samples have to come from somewhere, so where else do you draw the line?

I’ll leave it up to the individual to decide if they think they’re following the spirit of that particular challenge, given what’s already been said in this thread. It’s just 3 points, so, not a huge deal. Writing a great song is a much more important place to focus the creative energies :slight_smile:

2 Likes