Mutant Breaks [lucky] #13

That is not the best example IMHO. Renoise hosts the playlists on their soundcloud page listen to more than just one track.

The winner is randomly chosen from the top 10. Just do your own thing.

3 Likes

Yeah! It’s a pretty good gig, too. Doing software dev.

1 Like

It’s not the good link, the previous winner track is here ^_____^

3 Likes

Ok guys i made a little something but i cant determine the time signature

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pb97CQTp4-hNR1fIw2tClx7-imjbEW2z/view?usp=sharing

4 Likes

Make one in 4/4 and then reduce the row count until it’s 3/4 :face_with_monocle:

I’m in this year! (If life chills for long enough for me to sit down and do it.)

1 Like

To piggyback on above, perhaps this timesig bending tool still works :sunglasses:;

com.kmaki.TimeSigBender.xrnx (13.3 KB)

Originating from this thread, made by @KMaki ; Script Idea (Done): Pattern Divider & Juxtaposer …it seems to be missing there so I took the liberty to archive it back into an xrnx.

2 Likes

Not sure how that could work? The snare has to be on the third beat out of 4, or else it won’t sound like dubstep. I could make the count 3/4 and put a snare at the third beat, then skip 3 beats, put a snare on the first, then on the second, then third and so on, but i’m not sure that would change the time signature or simply just make it very difficult for myself? :thinking:
Well, all the other percussions could have different time signatures though, so i could for instance do a 12/8 and put the snare on the seventh beat.
I don’t really know music theory, so i may have gotten it all wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

you could make dubstep in 7/8 or 9/8 or 17/8 and others. It is definitely sometimes made in 12/8. a lot of riddim dubstep has triplet feel 12/8. I think the rhythmic structure is not the most important signifier of the style. as long as it’s a 140-150 bpm halftime feel with dank-ass bass it should feel like dubz, imo. I’ve got a dub section in 7/8 in a track I’m working on rn :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Where would you place the snare in 7/8?
As far as i know the snare placement is the most important characteristics of dubstep, where snare always is placed half way in. I’m not great at genres, so i might be wrong, but that is what i have considered to be dubstep.

for 7/4: kicks on 1 and 5, snares on 3 and 7. It’s gonna feel wonky, but that’s kinda the point :upside_down_face:

for 7/8 I’d probably still put the snare on 5

1 Like

To my understanding the snare in 7/8 would be at 3 and a half if it should sound like dubstep, putting it on 5 how can that sound like dubstep? I’m just getting more and more confused here?
Can you link to an example of dubstep that sounds wonky like this?

@TheBellows Wouldn’t putting the snare on “3 and a half” defeat the main purpose of having an odd time signature (to have lobsided rhythms)? You’d just end up with 4/4 at a faster BPM.

3 Likes

For 7/8 I’d put the snare on the 3 and then either the 6 or 7. Kick would be on 1 and 5. But try some different things and see what sounds good to you.

I wouldn’t worry about how the rhythm is supposed to work in dubstep. Genres aren’t rules.

Maybe listen to some other songs that use 7/8 or 7/4. This video has some good examples:

3 Likes

Exactly my point. That’s why i thought dubstep can’t be made using an odd time signature, because i thought the definition of dubstep would be that characteristic half way snare, but i guess i have been misled to believe that’s the first rule of dubstep.
I don’t even listen to dubstep, so it doesn’t really matter, i just wanted to understand the clearly conflicting information.

1 Like

I didn’t ask to get an example of 7/8 or 7/4, i wanted an example of dubstep in this time signature. As far as i know it doesn’t exist, so if no one can give me an example of this, then i’m not convinced.

eh, you’re thinking too rigidly about this, imo. Genres aren’t like elements on the periodic table, absolute and unmalleable… They’re just a collection of aesthetic choices made by people who want to sound a certain way. What defines a genre is bound to be subjective, too. Here’s an example, tho: Arguing Instruments (7/8 Dubstep) - YouTube
Now, I personally wouldn’t exactly call this dubstep, but not because of the rhythmic structure. For my tastes, it doesn’t tick enough of the other genre-specific aesthetic boxes to warrant the title, but that’s entirely subjective.

You could certainly make dubstep in 14/8 with the snare on 7 and just have 4/4 with a septuplet feel if you wanted, but as @unless said, it kinda defeats the point of an odd meter. Not that septuplets aren’t dope, they certainly are :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I know other genres can use different signatures, but i also learned before that some genres has certain rules they follow. Somehow i got the impression that for dubstep it was a definite rule.
I wouldn’t have guessed it was dubstep if i heard that example of yours without knowing, but to me that sounded much more interesting than any other dubstep i have heard knowingly. :smiley:
Well, perhaps best to get back on subject, this is Mutant Breaks #13 after all and not a derailed thread about dubstep. :badteethslayer:

1 Like

Enjoy this album then? :slight_smile:

ACP051 Blake Market - Polynesia-town : Internet Archive

1 Like

Honestly not my cup of tea, but it understates the fact that i have misunderstood this genre. :smiley:

I hope @ToybOx @anon81231982 and @Woodpecking_Mantis drop in on this compo… :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes