My Graphic Card And Renoise

My graphic card NVIDEA GeForce3 Ti 200 causing sporadic crashes while running CPU intense programs, like Renoise. Any ideas how to tackle this problem?

One idea was to inactivate Hardware Acceleration, by following this guide.

But that only resultet in more sporadic crashes… :(

I’m desperate :unsure:

Edit: I’ve made both a CPU and GPU test - the CPU seemed find, but the GPU test confirmed the problem. So yes, it’s the GPU.

how do you know it’s the graphic card doing it?
any error messages?

i also wonder why you are so sure it’s your graphicscard causing all the trouble… i mean, sporadic crashes could be due to virtually anything, soft- and hardware-wise.
but if you’re sure it’s your gf3, maybe check if the little GPU fan is still spinning. those little beasts tend to fail after a year or two if you’re unlucky.

more sounds like cpu overheating…

Ok I edited the post.
Sorry for being indistinct from the beginning.
It is the GPU.

No messages at all, the computer freezes and then I can’t do anything else but just restart the computer. But as I’ve edited in the original post now, I made a GPU test and the computer froze… So, I don’t what else to blame than the GFX card and/or relevant software and/or hardware mis-preferences.

I guess it has something -to do- with the graphics, because I made a test about it. But now if it’s a soft or hardware related problem I don’t know.

I’ve had this computer for a few years yeah, so it could just be that the card is tired.

:unsure:

I’ve made a CPU test that seemed ok.

Nope same monitor which I’ve had as long as everything else.

But now when you mention it… At my system info it says “Plug and play”, while the model name is Scaleo C994. Maybe I should search for some drivers for it. Not sure if this should matter that much though.

Anyway, anyone else, any ideas?

It can also be just dusted.
Fans that attract dust through the electrostatical magnetism clog it up underneath them in the cool-ribs and then the cool-ribs do the opposite of what they supposed to do:
Instead of conducting the heath up, it retains the heat and the fan has no airflow because of the dust-cloth covering the guidance.

Cleaning your fans every 6 months extends your hardwares life longer.
If you wait until the glitches show up, cleaning them out may not be resolving anymore, it may help out to lower your average amount of crashes a day or session.

I lost performance of my GPU that way, it started showing glitches when it gets warm and with certain routines, the whole pc freezed up, only thing remaining was pull the plug and restart the system from blink.
Eventually i could RIP the card and buy a new one.

edit:
I do recall someone having similar problem-like random crashes.
The solution was that the guy had an incompatible Intel PIV mainboard Powr supply. (It lacked an extra powerline to power the bus, which is in some cases needed) This is a plug with four pins just like the ordinary atx plug, but then ofcourse a fraction of that size.

If your mainboard has a four-pin socket but no plug into it, you may have an underpowered data-bus and can only be solved to purchase a power-supply that has this extra plug, or modify your psu by yourself in a manner that you can attach this plug by yourself. (be carefull applying the right specs though else you might burn up all your circuits)

Thanks a lot for all that info, vvoois! :)
I’ll try look more into this…

You know what…

I have a 80 GB HD… I had only 2 GB avaiable, and when I deleled like 10 movies from the HD everything works a lot better. lol

Problem is not solved though.

Try defragmenting in safe mode and i bet your system will respond even a bit quicker, but probably will not solve your problem.

I actually did a defrag not long ago, but well another one after the mass-deletions cant do any harm, true.

@kricke
i’d suggest swapping as many individual hardware parts as possible with those you know to be working properly.
exchange them one ofter the other… like first the ram, test renoise, then the graphics card, test renoise, then the CPU, test renoise… etc.
this way you could narrow down the problem to a specific component in your PC.

another spare HD would also be handy so you could make a clean install of XP or any other OS of your choice for testing purposes and the whole trial&error process.

Good idea. Thanks :)
I’ve thought about to buy a new computer though.
What part is the CPU? The processor?

yup! :)