New here

Hey all, I’ve just discovered renoise and I’m pretty excited. I’ve been dabbling in electronic music since about 1980, started on a Commodore 64 :)

Anyway, I’m a dedicated Linux user and I have an older box at home, just for music. I installed AV-Linux (which is awesome BTW), normally I work on OpenSuse.

As a musician, I’m a pretty serious Sax player but I also play flute/guitar and bass and I’m planning on putting together a CD of electronic music with some acoustic instruments on top. I currently have my computer connected to my hardware DAW through the digital interface and next step is getting midi hooked. I have a midi keyboard and a few outboard synths, I think it will be a pretty capable system although it won’t be cutting edge but then neither is my Sax :)

I have been goofing around with Renoise 2.8 and I am 99.9% sure that I will be buying the proper version which is now at 3.0.

Question? Will I be seriously set back when I move to 3.0 after getting used to 2.8? Should I just go ahead and get 3.0?

Silly question I know, but I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hello and welcome!

There is quite a drastic difference between the GUI of Renoise 2.8 and 3.0.

I recommend checking out the demo for Renoise 3.0 before you get your self accustomed to 2.8 :P/>

edit

Also, all your songs you’ve been making in 2.8 will work just fine in 3.0 :)

OK cool, and thanks for responding.
I paid for and downloaded 3.0, I will install when I get home.

hello what music style do you do with your hardware and your sax it’s a quite surpising set up can you send me a link by pm or on the forum

ostro

ps:welcome

Hey, what style of music? Hopefully numerous styles. I enjoy most musical styles when played well. I’m not really up on the genre specific handles with electronic music but my intention is to treat Renoise like it is just another musical instrument. I plan to do some sampling since I have a number of real instruments that sound great, example I have a wooden flute made in England, probably around the mid 18th century, it sounds amazing, think the Hobbit soundtrack, but it is out of tune with A440 and is not the easiest thing to play.

Years ago when I put my first electronic studio together it was because I wanted to jam with other musicians but that wasn’t always possible or convenient. Over time, although I’ve played with lots of bands that is still the case and travelling is getting very costly. This is kind of a rambling reply but I really hope to put together a CD of electronically created music that doesn’t sound machine like or even necessarily ‘electronic’ at least not electronic sounding as the only pallete represented.

I’m thrilled to find Renoise. I started out with tracker software (although I didn’t know it at the time) on the Commodore64 and later on the Atari ST but when I moved to PC everything seemed to be like a multitrack recorder simulation, it wasn’t the same thing. I did find and use FL briefly but it didn’t run on Linux and I hate microsofts terms so I won’t use their software unless I really have to, and I cant afford/justify a Mac.

I also have this. Which is a very fun toy, especially when used with fat analog sounds.

I promise I will post some music once I have something recorded that I am proud of. Right now I am trying to figure out Renoise.

Quick question that has probably been asked before. I downloaded the sample packs with the Renoise release but I don’t know how to place the files so that I can select these files from the files/instruments menu. I have been able to drag them into an instrument slot but I think I should be able to place them in a directory and then have access to them later from within Renoise. Is it possible?

Thanks everyone for your interest, it seems like a nice community here.

Take care,
Jeff

I’m curious to hear what you can do with Renoise and your interesting setup. :)/>

To answer your question: Yes, it’s very much possible. I’m assuming you know how to unzip and create folders and such? I don’t use Linux so i can’t help you there.
You just have to unzip the files to any folder on your computer, then use the file browser, to the right inside Renoise (it moved from 2.8 to 3.0), to navigate to the folder you unzipped to.
If you want Renoise to remember the folder you may right click one of the numbers on the side of the browser, then it stores it on that button for you to left click later.

IMO you should install an hackintosh system since there are nearly all good plugins available for OSX. also OSX feels like a Linux system thanks to the unix kernel and normal Linux terminal. OSX 10.9 is also free. Add a chameleon boot loader and you are almost done.

Thanks folks, I figured out where to put samples etc. sorry for the lame question, I’ll try and come up with some better questions next time :)/>

@Jurek thanks for the suggestion, my pc is pretty old and underpowered it’s a P4 so it’s actually holding it’s own with AV-Linux but I suspect that a hardware upgrade is in my future, perhaps I’ll look into ‘hackintosh’ at that time.

Take care,
Jeff