New MacBoo Pro without physical function keys

Surface studio is so over priced in the UK it is ridiculous.

It’s overpriced anywhere. $3000 for the cheapest model with an i5 and 8 GB of RAM. $4200 for the i7 version with 32 GB RAM. $100 extra for the dial. Heh. Would love to use FL Studio on something like that, but the prices for the “usable” models are just too high.

I definitely would love high-DPI support for Renoise! Is it being worked on? B)

Yeah, I’m on the fence wether to get one or not. The price and the USB-C only ports is not appealing to me at all. :unsure:

Contemplating getting their previous “high-end” MBP instead since that one should decrease in price now… if I can still get it.

In my years of using Apple products, they’ve pretty consistently been behind the curve in performance specs, due to their release cycle being longer,or if not then momentarily they are level pegging, until they fall behind. It’s never been that much of an issue for me as such, and I’d rather had a solidly built reliable machine that doesn’t interfere with what I use it for - creating stuff.

That said however, I do feel and have felt for a good while that Apple were focussing on the mass-market and consumer end with all the iDevices and starting to slacken off their attentiveness to the market which propped them up during hard times.

What does piss me off though, is their willingness to drop technologies in arrogant disregard for all their pro users having invested thousands in hardware to plug into their machines. Thunderbolt was tipped to be here to stay for a good innings - I haven’t moved off Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt yet, so it seems that I will be behind by 2 technologies that will be completely phased out within 2 years. I don’t think I’m being paranoid either. OK OK there will be adaptors to remedy this, but to my mind one should only have to upgrade something if a) it is broken or (b.)one has moved beyond it’s capabilities. Not because of a port change!?

Then there are these Surface Studios coming to the surface (excuse the pun there!). They actually look pretty sexy and exciting - and I don’t particularly get hot under collar about computers. But it’s nice to see another company finally thinking about a gap in the market - surely it’s no coincidence. Good on them.

I just hope that Apple isn’t too big for it’s boots to recognise that it’s existing users just might jump ship to a different platform, and actually give a hoot about it.

+++

EDIT disclaimer - on further research USB-C is interchangeable with Thunderbolt 3 as they use the same connector, and it’s backwards compatible (TB2), but everything will still require adaptors and hubs. I didn’t just want to come across as all rant and ill-informed, so there you go! :slight_smile:

only thing i knew is, that theyre working on a next gen apple power machine.

no keyboards, no screen and no hardware. just the logo and a price tag. rest u will get with an lifetime sub on their new service “total verapplecall”.

We are living in the interesting times. IT companies, monopolies especially seems to work not for the consumers, but deliberately against their needs/wishes. Trying so hard to impose unreasonable changes. Whats even worse is the compliance of the costumers, but that is a subject for a whole another discussion.

My honest, biased, but reasonable advice will be to stay away from apple products. It’s just not a good value.

We are more or less five years past apple relevancy as a computer for serious work. That doesn’t mean it can’t be useful, or that is a complete crap, only that there are more viable options.

Yet apparently the new MacBook Pro has some kind of record in number of pre-ordered/ordered copies. shrugs :confused: Idk…