New MacBoo Pro without physical function keys

Any toughts on the rumoured MacBook Pro, and the lack of physical function keys?

Do you think the OLED stripwould befor the better or worse?

Oh sh*t! Never thought about that! But the oled display will be able to emulate functions keys, right? Either way it may be hard to get the “feel” of the keys and press the right one without looking like with physical keys.

My initial thought was that it will be cool that you can make it do more than just be keys. Like some of the “prototype” pics where it shows current song playing and volume control. But now when you mention it, I’m not sure. But you can always hook up an external keyboard still. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a laptop tho.

I’ll most likely get one since my current computer is getting old:ish and is a desktop model. Been selling off some of my computers and stuff to save up to one.

Yeah. I like the thought of Apple giving developers an API to program custom virtual buttons and visuals on the OLED. We’ll just wait and see.

Mine is long over due, as it’s an early 2011.

The fact it has no USB ports is much more worrying

This is crap hardware. It’s no wonder that Mac hardware doesn’t sell well anymore. The apple heads seem to smoke crack all day.
So do yourself a favor and buy a decent windows machine, then install hackintosh. If you can install Linux, you can install osx, too.

1. Find a nice and much cheaper hardware. For example dell xps13, lenovo ideapad 710s

2. Check if there is already a guide to install osx for this or similar model (same chipset) on either tonymac.com or insanelymac.com forums (become member in both). There are plenty of ready to go guides for most common models. You can also buy a hardware by guide success.

3. Get recent osx image, usually thru another Mac thru appstore. Click there on update. An installer app including image will be downloaded. Read a guide how to install the image on an USB stick. Or get the image thru other channels. It doesn’t need to be the recent subversion, you can update it later. Remember : osx is free

4. Install clover bootloader (can also boot multiple windows and Linux). You can install it in uefi mode or legacy. Install it to other USB stick formatted with fat or hfs. Most easy way is thru another Mac. Check if it’s booting on your pc. If not, you will need to switch the clover bootloader for the selected file format / efi / non efi combination.

5. Boot USB install stick. Format an own/external usb hdd and install there. (Boot from clover usb stick, in clover menu select installation usb stick, osx and osx install can boot from usb).

5a. Otherwise you can also repartition your internal drive to two partitions (I don’t recommend this, Windows tends to overwrite bootblocks). Its a bit complicated, because Windows normally uses up to 4 partitions: efi (normally hidden) and/or boot, backup, windows. If there is a EFI partition, then clover cannot be installed on efi partition. You can install clover then directly to the OSX partition. OSX should be installed to a partition before windows partition, as far as I remember.

5b. Otherwise consider to completely gets rid of windows and format internal hdd. You can also later move OSX from external USB to internal HDD using CarbonCopyCloner. Then you need to reinstall clover after on internal and move the config.

1. Look into the guide if some special drivers or clover settings are required. Sometimes you will need to load a patched acpi (very uncommon nowadays, since clover does most patching automatically). Often some minor things like builtin video camera don’t work out of the box. Some hardware requires a different wlan module, mostly if it’s an intel wlan module (no mac driver available here). So check esp. this before in the guide. Opening the device usually brakes warranty. Though switching a wlan module is quite easy.

2. Install clover on the osx hdd, copy clover settings from USB stick. Select OSX drive as primary boot drive in bios.

Tip: there are plenty of clover configuration tools for osx.

Tip2: Nowadays efi/uefi is common. Also check, if your windows is UEFI boot - which is normal on new devices.

This is crap hardware. It’s no wonder that Mac hardware doesn’t sell well anymore. The apple heads seem to smoke crack all day.
So do yourself a favor and buy a decent windows machine, then install hackintosh. If you can install Linux, you can install osx, too.

1. Find a nice and much cheaper hardware. For example dell xps13, lenovo ideapad 710s

2. Check if there is already a guide to install osx for this or similar model (same chipset) on either tonymac.com or insanelymac.com forums (become member in both). There are plenty of ready to go guides for most common models. You can also buy a hardware by guide success.

3. Get recent osx image, usually thru another Mac thru appstore. Click there on update. An installer app including image will be downloaded. Read a guide how to install the image on an USB stick. Or get the image thru other channels. It doesn’t need to be the recent subversion, you can update it later. Remember : osx is free

4. Install clover bootloader (can also boot multiple windows and Linux). You can install it in uefi mode or legacy. Install it to other USB stick formatted with fat or hfs. Most easy way is thru another Mac. Check if it’s booting on your pc. If not, you will need to switch the clover bootloader for the selected file format / efi / non efi combination.

5. Boot USB install stick. Format an own/external usb hdd and install there. (Boot from clover usb stick, in clover menu select installation usb stick, osx and osx install can boot from usb).

5a. Otherwise you can also repartition your internal drive to two partitions (I don’t recommend this, Windows tends to overwrite bootblocks). Its a bit complicated, because Windows normally uses up to 4 partitions: efi (normally hidden) and/or boot, backup, windows. If there is a EFI partition, then clover cannot be installed on efi partition. You can install clover then directly to the OSX partition. OSX should be installed to a partition before windows partition, as far as I remember.

5b. Otherwise consider to completely gets rid of windows and format internal hdd. You can also later move OSX from external USB to internal HDD using CarbonCopyCloner. Then you need to reinstall clover after on internal and move the config.

1. Look into the guide if some special drivers or clover settings are required. Sometimes you will need to load a patched acpi (very uncommon nowadays, since clover does most patching automatically). Often some minor things like builtin video camera don’t work out of the box. Some hardware requires a different wlan module, mostly if it’s an intel wlan module (no mac driver available here). So check esp. this before in the guide. Opening the device usually brakes warranty. Though switching a wlan module is quite easy.

2. Install clover on the osx hdd, copy clover settings from USB stick. Select OSX drive as primary boot drive in bios.

Tip: there are plenty of clover configuration tools for osx.

Tip2: Nowadays efi/uefi is common. Also check, if your windows is UEFI boot - which is normal on new devices.

Dell XPS 13 is “much cheaper” than MBP? “If you can install Linux, you can install osx”? Dubious claims. Stop trying to start another “PC vs Mac” forum war.

The fact it has no USB ports is much more worrying

According to MacRumours it’s supposed to have USB-C and USB 3.1… if those are two separate different ports I don’t know or if the USB-C is USB 3.1. confused

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-pro/

The issue with most of this stuff is, if it’s not broken, why force clunky innovation?

This is why I like trackers

Adding features > pointless changing

Apple are all gimmicks now, then again most tech is…

Dell XPS 13 is “much cheaper” than MBP? “If you can install Linux, you can install osx”? Dubious claims. Stop trying to start another “PC vs Mac” forum war.

Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about. And don’t tell me what I have to do or not. Just because of this, I will from now on post as much Hackintosh info as I can.

Of course, if you can install Linux does not mean you can install OSX, just do the relevant searchs and make sure your hardware is supported before trying to hackintosh, it will save you a lot of grief.

I meant skills-wise. If you are able to install Linux, you will be able to install OSX, from difficulty level. Though the boot process is completely different on OSX (lot easier). Yes, follow such a guide. Today found one for HP Spectre x360 on tonymac. Almost everything works, except the touch functionality of the screen (maybe only simple click and drag, I don’t know. OSX doesn’t support multitouch/touch).

Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about.And don’t tell me what I have to do or not. Just because of this, I will from now on post as much Hackintosh info as I can.

Would you mind telling me where I was wrong? AFAIK there are no much cheaperPC laptops with comparable hardware specs. Dell XPS 13 is no exception.

All in all, I don’t think many people consider Hackintosh-ing PC laptop as a proper replacement for Macbook. It’s too much PITA and is not really stable.

Look at this guide:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-15-9550-skylake-gtx960m-ssd-via-clover-uefi.192598/. It’s pretty long, yet GTX graphics, card reader and web camera are not working, not mentioning various minor issues and quirks.

Hackintosh-ing desktop PC is another song. Desktop Macs are not that great indeed, and it’s possible to create a relatively stable Hackintosh build since you have much more control over hardware. We’re not talking about desktops though.

Well, I use hackintosh now for about 10 years, after two expensive Mac devices became defective, but fixing it was more expensive than buying new devices - a typical apple trap. Apple hardware isn’t meant to be fixed. I think you tell here typical kind of rumors that Apple users spread, and Apple users usually know very little about the system.

My hackintoshs work in fact more stable than it was on my old macs. It even performs better than on Mac hardware and Windows. You can see my benchmarks here in the forum. I installed osx currently on two desktops and my Sony vaio notebook (2x core i7 and core2quad). Also it works much, much better than Windows, it’s maintainance-free. Osx comes with lot more drivers than only for the available macs, since there is the Mac Pro, and it’s known that Apple itself runs osx on PCs internally. Pcie devices often have Drivers for osx, too.

The newer the pc device, there more Intel inside, the more simple will be osx installation. Clover bootloader today runs osx out-of-the-box on lot of devices - vanilla of course.

I really don’t see any reason to buy a limited, overpriced apple hardware. And I really don’t want to fiddle around with bunch of even more expensive adapters.

Apple Hardware became a pure lifestyle hipster accessoire. It’s not for Musicians anymore. It’s not for any pro user anymore. I still have a Macbook from 2006, it had a audio-in + audio-out and at the same time was optical-sdpif-in/out. The audio quality is quite good. So 2 minimal jack slots. Since then Apple reduced the connectors for no good reason (just to make the customers dependent on even more apple stuff). As far as I know even audio is now gone. And in 5 years they switched from thunderbolt 1 over 2 to 3 now. On PC hardware you still can use USB2 and also USB3 without any fucking adapter or limitation (of course in OSX, too).

Thunderbolt also is a death birth due Apple’s selling politics. It’s far too expensive to become any standard. And its even obsolete since latest USB3 standard. So in the next year, Apple will maybe leave thunderbolt at whole, and you cannot use all your crazily expensive adapters / external hardware anymore. So understand, to invest in Apple hardware is a very bad investment.

It’s laughable that they still call it ‘Pro’ – every generation they remove more and more features, and now it’s at the point where it’s pretty much an overpriced, high-spec consumer laptop with slightly better build quality (and I can’t stress the ‘slightly’ enough – they still feel like toys compared with something like a Dell Precision).

It’s laughable that they still call it ‘Pro’ – every generation they remove more and more features, and now it’s at the point where it’s pretty much an overpriced, high-spec consumer laptop with slightly better build quality (and I can’t stress the ‘slightly’ enough – they still feel like toys compared with something like a Dell Precision).

It’s kind of unfortunate, yes. For a few years now (well, since about 1991 when I switched from Atari ST to a 386 because I couldn’t afford a Mac) I have been considering to get a Mac, in part also because of how well it integrates with the iPad, and lately because of my disagreement with how Windows 10 uses my bandwidth (no way to prevent updates unless I get an expensive edition), but Apple is going in a direction that doesn’t appeal to me. I used Linux (Ubuntu, then Arch) for a few years, so I guess that will eventually be my destination again (just not appealing from the software/games support perspective – I like Windows 10, except for Microsoft’s desire to increasingly control my machine without the OS even notifying me what’s going on).

The only thing I could consider a workaround for Renoise to keep their build stable across OS’s is if Apple provide a ‘legacy mode’ for the new toolbar, so if nothing is specified by the application, perhaps an escape key and function buttons would be presented by default? In a broader context, I still can’t get over there being no escape key (top left), let alone the function keys. Bye bye musicians AND developers? I’m still on Mavericks, but Sierra looks like it will level out soon, so I do plan on keeping with macOS, but a custom built device for the studio as my next investment. It really is a quandary.

The only thing I could consider a workaround for Renoise to keep their build stable across OS’s is if Apple provide a ‘legacy mode’ for the new toolbar, so if nothing is specified by the application, perhaps an escape key and function buttons would be presented by default? In a broader context, I still can’t get over there being no escape key (top left), let alone the function keys. Bye bye musicians AND developers? I’m still on Mavericks, but Sierra looks like it will level out soon, so I do plan on keeping with macOS, but a custom built device for the studio as my next investment. It really is a quandary.

Maybe the escape key will be in the Magic Toolbar? The picture is supposed to be of the 13-inch model… wonder if the 15 will have a proper esc-key?

We can all moan about Macs getting more dumbed down all day long, problem is, with Win 10 having forced updates that continually are breaking peoples hardware installs, Mac OS is the only current OS worth a toss for audio, if i could Hacky all my PCs i would, no doubt at all.

We can all moan about Macs getting more dumbed down all day long, problem is, with Win 10 having forced updates that continually are breaking peoples hardware installs, Mac OS is the only current OS worth a toss for audio, if i could Hacky all my PCs i would, no doubt at all.

Why not try it? Install on USB, so you don’t touch your current system.

Apple Hardware became a pure lifestyle hipster accessoire. It’s not for Musicians anymore. It’s not for any pro user anymore.

Agree, I feel even the most ardent Mac fans I know are a bit disenchanted. We’ll see what happens today at the Apple press conference.

But the latest news is that M$ is making inroads to claim the “creative professional” market (well, to a certain degree they already have it)

The weapon is called Surface Studio and comes with a puck (?) - love the idea, now we just need to release the high-DPI Renoise to go along with it.