New Microtuning Vst Oddsound MTS-ESP Suite

that’s the setup i have and i’m trying to control a sample instrument. now when i input notes via the midi client (clicking on the midi client, or clicking on a track then using my keyboard) i get extra instances of exact notes. the higher the division of the octave the higher the instance of exact notes. for example master set to 53EDO makes keys G, H, V & B all give me the same exact note and more notes are repeated like this in 12tet across the keyboard. bug possibly? or have you experienced this from a setting in the midi client? “note + pb” gives me the above result and “pb only” gives 12tet without repeated notes.
thanks for any help you can offer!

That sounds to me like you have a custom key map set up within the master, I can’t be certain, or maybe the scale you loaded is purposefully mapped like that.I know it’s a feature of the plugin to save and switch mappings, you might look into this.

I’ve been trying to make the MTS-ESP tuning to apply to Renoise internal sampler but haven’t been able to make it work:

1: MTS-ESP Mini (Master) is loaded into Instrument slot 00
2: ZebraHZ (Client) is loaded into Instrument slot 01
3: The waveform in Renoise Sampler is loaded into Instrument slot 02

MTS-ESP Mini is successfully connected to ZebraHZ and the microtuning applies when playing Zebra, but I don’t know how to connect the client to control the waveform at the Instrument slot 02. Have tried to change all kinds of settings at the Instrument MIDI page but the only Output Devices available there are Microsoft GM Synth and Oxygen49. Also dabbled with OSC Server and creating VST aliases but no solution.

Any help would be appreciated!

Never used the mini version.From your description you have no midi client loaded in.To use with renoise samples you must have the midi client loaded.When loaded,send midi data from the client to whatever instrument or sample you want to retune.You must input notes with the client and not with the target sample or instrument.

Okay, thanks for the reply. I thought that ZebraHZ here would work as a midi client, but I suppose it means something else.

Would be really cool if in Instrument modulation page you could assign the Pitch Stepper set to 12 steps to correspond one for each key in the octave(like you can do with Zebra’s Mod Mapper). This would give the ability to freely tune each of the 12 notes in a microtonal scale

There is two plugins used,the mts master and the mts midi client,hope that clears it up for you.

1 Like

Ahh, that was it! The free version doesn’t have the client plugin at all. No wonder I felt a bit lost :smiley:

Installed the demo for the full version and got it to work through client and using NOTE+PB retune type.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Although there is still something wrong, since the tuning only works in semitones and doesn’t get tuned between the usual western semitones. Have to dig a bit deeper… Perhaps the pitch bend is needed to be activated for the sampled instrument from somewhere.

When playing the master plugin with its built-in saw wave the tuning sounds correct with microtonality

So it looks like the internal sampler instrument of Renoise doesn’t support pitch bend through midi, which basically makes this plugin not useful with Renoise. It can only do scaling by altering the note data but no microtonality because of the lack of PB commands.

If anyone knows a workaround, would be interested to hear

You might be doing something wrong,please see page 49 of the mts midi user guide.