New ProTracker VST (automate loop points and time stretch!)

Here’s a cool VST that was released earlier today, it’s a sampler that emulates the Commodore Amiga ProTracker sound:

https://www.potenzadsp.com/amigo/

Allows for automate-able loop points and Akaizer settings.

6 Likes

just got it. looks and behaves awesome! i wish it had envelope editor though :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder how this compares to TAL-sampler though, which also has a variety of old-school sound emulations (including AKAI stretch modes).

TAL-Sampler looks like it covers a lot more ground than Amigo. Probably don’t really need Amigo if you already have the TAL.

Amigo is targeted squarely at the Amiga sound with a couple of nifty tricks added in.

That would be nice! ProTracker itself doesn’t allow for envelopes on samples, so maybe it’s a matter of sticking to original limits? Then again they added real-time time stretching, which I’m pretty sure no Amiga was pulling off in 1993.

Niceee,thanks for sharing

Seems to be not original Amiga sound at all, Paula was running with 28kHz, not 22kHz. Would like to hear a 1:1 comparison.

2 Likes

Yeah i agree,none of the emulators or plugins really sound quite like the amiga imo, i have an a500 and an a1200.The emulators just can’t capture that special something they have,the amigas have this kind of textured airy-ness to them that i cant quite describe,they distort really nicely too (in a harsh way).

It may not be the same but that doesn’t bother me, in my minds eye i think of stuff like this as having nothing to do with an amiga but rather a specific sounding tool for colouring my drums.I think the same way about tape/tube/vinyl emulators.

I think we are missing out on some good stuff being hidden behind plugin marketing.For example i have a tube emulator that works magic.I don’t think of that plugin as a tube emulator at all.I think of it as really nice drum plugin.And if they just removed references to tubes in the parameters and gui it would become something totally different.Which it already is.

Here is a link to the Plugin if anybody wants it,as it is now free.They brought out a second version which i bought but does not sound as good as the first version.They got so many request for the first version that they released it for free.

5 Likes

Nice one!

By coincidence I found another plugin in the same spirit:

https://github.com/astriiddev/Ami-Sampler-VST

3 Likes

thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

I think the 22khz limit is from ProTracker, not the Amiga in general.

Well as far as I remember when I used the protracker replayer code, it simply sets the sample rate of each of the four DA converters within the range of the possible rate range. But maybe you are right about that the range was then limited, but I don’t remember that. The point is here that the actual hardware da converter rate is changed on the fly, different to all the modern audio devices, having a constant rate. There were one or even two lp filters applied in the converter and also somehow a scanning rate within a mhz range, some specific trickery for antialising, but I forgot the details and also can’t find proper infos about it anymore. So to me, the plugin didn’t really capture the speciality of that paula chip design / sound. I don’t say it’s a bad plugin.

1 Like

What’s kind of funny, which I never new: Amiga’s with 68020 and AGA could also have a samplerate around 56kHz, but this only worked, if you output was VGA-like, because the clock was somehow hardwired to the graphics, or whatever. Also didn’t know that later OctaMED versions used two outputs at once to mimic that 14 bit output. I used OctaMED for many years, but mostly only with midi.

1 Like

“Instant rave feel”

As these zoomers say: cringe.

Come on, rave isn’t a four letter word anymore!

Joking aside, I think more people are realizing the link between the breakbeat hardcore stuff that has been categorized as “rave” and the development of jungle, drum and bass, and idm. There’s been a bit of an underground wave of reissues and new releases embracing that sound.

Don’t mean to be rude, but in the UK everyone always knew that. At least amongst us old farts. Maybe the obvious link was lost along the way? I also know rave means something different in the states.

2 Likes

Shame Renoise doesn’t let you drag samples from it’s diskop, sample editor and/or instrument list straight to the Amigo plugin. I often like to hardbake eq settings into the samples through Renoise sample editor FX button, cutting out the lows etc. So samples have to be prepared first, saved and then dragged through windows explorer or opened though the plugin load option. Not a big problem, but inconvenient :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That would be nice. I do a lot of resampling, too. I’ve just been saving the resampled stuff to my desktop and loading them from there, but drag and drop is always easier. Might be something they can add.

1 Like