New Sidechain Method?

hiya did you get this working?

I checked the plug-in site and it was down :confused:

Just tried to make electro house on Rn and this situation is really screaming for a sidechain solution :huh:

Volume envelopes are allmost totally out of the question. but other alternatives are interesting…

Edit: solved. Sorry for multiple posts.

so 1.8 trigger more tight than 1,9’? why?

mongo: The reason is this, in Taktik’s words:

See this thread: http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=13325

The ultimate solution in my opinion - and by that, I mean a solution that will not break in later versions - will probably be to wait for Taktik & co to implement a sidechainable compression module specific for Renoise (yay!) or to wait for PDC (which is probably a lot tougher task).

Edit: solved.

Sorry for the multiple postings on this. It works, but seems like after one problem is fixed there comes another… :confused:

[quote="#<0x00005628503a5790>, post:48, topic:20443"]

Edit: solved.

Sorry for the multiple postings on this. It works, but seems like after one problem is fixed there comes another… :confused:
[/quote]

Would you mind detailing the problems you had please? I’m considering writing an audio -> midicc plugin, and I’d like to know how to avoid any issues with Renoise.</0x00005628503a5790>

Yeah…

okay.I should have left the postings here afterall ;)

Deleted them because it seemed no-one was interested.

Okay.

1. First problem was how to sidechain - This was overcome by using a send track where the jUltram could be set pu.

2. This had to do with jUltram resetting it’s midi output to the first one in the list - when a song is saved.

To overcome this:
Set up your system like this.
Go to audio preferences and set up MIDIYOKE as your windows default player. Then use midiyoke in the jUltram.

1. problem is the one that prevents sidechaining inside renoise. And this is bad since this is due to renoise.

Renoise records the CC’s of the jUltram on the track where the Gain (for example) is automated by it everytime user presses stop - so that the rec mode is on.

This is something you might want to test out with jUltram before programming a plug-in.

And… the settings in the midi tablet do not help - tested it and just about everything possible and got to say it is REALLY close…

The sidechaning works BEAUTIFULLY without any delays or anyting… but… cannot be used due to this…

After 5 minutes of composing your tracks are filled with random “volume” automation values…

Edit: and this depends on the release of the kick…

So … test with a long kick firsthand to see what I’m talking about :)

There are so many topics of people who want to sidechain in software, why not buy a hardware compressor? You can get a compressor/gate/limiter witch sidechain inputs for about 80 euro’s, and a real compressor is so much more fun than trying to get the software working.

Sure, hardware-toys are fun (I have quite some amount of gear myself), but there’s a problem in that the project is no longer self-contained. You’ll need that compressor being connected to your soundcard and at a specific setting, whenever you want to work on that project.

As it is now confirmed that the Linux-platform will be supported as well, I am hoping more than ever to see a Renoise-specific compressor with sidechaining, which will work no-matter the platform or later version you run of Renoise. :)

I Decided to post this “small” tutorial here too, since there are so many topics on this, and this is the topic that originally had the idea of using jUltram as sidechain…

check this out ->

[quote="#<0x0000562850608690>, post:11, topic:21009"]

Hi yeah I will try this (altough I think I tried everything possible already)

To clarify: I’m using the space mode of FT2.

Will post results back later. If this works I’ll post an e-z tutorial also…
[/quote]

Weirdest stuff… Now it works

hmmhmmhmm…

Last time I checked it recorded the notes randomly, but gotta say this might be my bad aswell.

Using jUltram it seems that you can really have a non latency sidechain. I think this needs few more evenings of testing before posting a tutorial, but those who want to try, might wanna do so.

1. Download jUltram
  2. Install MIDIYOKE
  3. Go to windows control panel and set MIDIYOKE 1 as your default midi output

(IMPORTANT. this way you will avoid the built in bug of jUltram to resetting the values to the main midi output when a song is saved.
  4. Put jUltram into a send channel
  5. Send your KICK to that channel
  6. Set MIDIYOKE 1 - CHANNEL 1 as the output of jUltram (it should be that by default. I haven’t checked this, but: You might want to use channel 1 just to make sure it does not reset this aswell)
  7. Insert GAINER plug-in to bass track
  8. Select gainer and press Ctrl+M to assign the controller sent by jUltram to the GAIN slider - REMEMBER: 2 USE INVERSE.

note: also you must use MIDIYOKE 1 as the main input of renoise. Also check that record controllers is off.

EDIT: One more step Important to note:

Allways, set MIDI output in jUltram to “TRUE”
    =)

Also when recording the CC’s for multiple instances, Mute every other send devices except the one you are recording. Or add the CC to control the values manually.

Okay…

Latency free sidechain with 128 instances…

Have fun an I hope this works.

I’m not sure what fixed the midi recording bug for me this time, but use the tip provided by vV. Seemed to fix it for me…

Actually I use the same spacebar mode - but twiddling that button seemed to do something to fix the “recording” of CC when space is pressed… or perhaps I had a midi loopback

Anyhow… Everyone should check this out.

Sidechain (for any parameter on any plug-in) without latency =)

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Edit: and the thanks goes to ByteSmasher for the idea =)

Still… there might be some “quirks” that I’m not aware of, but this seemed to start working for me now…</0x0000562850608690>

[quote="#<0x0000562853417928>, post:53, topic:20443"]
I Decided to post this “small” tutorial here too, since there are so many topics on this, and this is the topic that originally had the idea of using jUltram as sidechain…

check this out ->

Weirdest stuff… Now it works

hmmhmmhmm…

Last time I checked it recorded the notes randomly, but gotta say this might be my bad aswell.

Using jUltram it seems that you can really have a non latency sidechain. I think this needs few more evenings of testing before posting a tutorial, but those who want to try, might wanna do so.

1. Download jUltram
  2. Install MIDIYOKE
  3. Go to windows control panel and set MIDIYOKE 1 as your default midi output

(IMPORTANT. this way you will avoid the built in bug of jUltram to resetting the values to the main midi output when a song is saved.
  4. Put jUltram into a send channel
  5. Send your KICK to that channel
  6. Set MIDIYOKE 1 - CHANNEL 1 as the output of jUltram (it should be that by default. I haven’t checked this, but: You might want to use channel 1 just to make sure it does not reset this aswell)
  7. Insert GAINER plug-in to bass track
  8. Select gainer and press Ctrl+M to assign the controller sent by jUltram to the GAIN slider - REMEMBER: 2 USE INVERSE.

note: also you must use MIDIYOKE 1 as the main input of renoise. Also check that record controllers is off.

EDIT: One more step Important to note:

Allways, set MIDI output in jUltram to “TRUE”
    =)

Also when recording the CC’s for multiple instances, Mute every other send devices except the one you are recording. Or add the CC to control the values manually.

Okay…

Latency free sidechain with 128 instances…

Have fun an I hope this works.

I’m not sure what fixed the midi recording bug for me this time, but use the tip provided by vV. Seemed to fix it for me…

Actually I use the same spacebar mode - but twiddling that button seemed to do something to fix the “recording” of CC when space is pressed… or perhaps I had a midi loopback

Anyhow… Everyone should check this out.

Sidechain (for any parameter on any plug-in) without latency =)

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Edit: and the thanks goes to ByteSmasher for the idea =)

Still… there might be some “quirks” that I’m not aware of, but this seemed to start working for me now…
    [/quote]

Is this instruction in:Dept worthy?</0x0000562853417928>

I hope to heck so… I’m gonna try this out as soon as I get home! :D

Imo it is… =)

BYTE-Smasher,

Did you get it working?

I’m really not sure what caused the midi-loopback earlier for me…