New Tool (2.7, 2.8): Rename Track, Pattern Shortcuts

Aah. Bummer… Sorry about that.

But mine has a couple of really nice features so I’ll release this anyway when I manage to finish it after my other more important shit. ;)

Well. I believe (and you should correct me if I’m wrong) you cannot move tracks around with the keyboard.

I was thinking something like move current track left/right (selected_track should follow along, so you can surf a track right over the screen using just these keys). Maybe with sequencer tracks/send tracks wrapping? I don’t know if it’s ergonomical/expected behaviour or not, though?

With groups it gets a bit harder. I think the most logical way to handle track grouping with keyboard would be pushing them next to a group, and then from there INTO the group with a dedicated left/right directed bind? Pushing normal left/right would just ‘skip’ the group track. I haven’t really thought this over, so please everybody reading this do so. The same bind could probably be used to pull stuff OUT of the groups. This is all just a quick intuition.

These IMO are THE basic track-shortcuts that are missing so far. (But with 2.8 in beta, some of these could possibly pop up natively? So maybe push at least that grouping development a bit farther? I don’t know.)

I can do that tomorrow. But i think it should just move the track left/right regardless of if it ends up in a group or not. One shortcut for all needs. That seems most consistent and least confusing.

I agree. Simplicity FTW.

Agreed. And if you want to move the Group you have the cursor in the Group Track.

I think we have to wait for the move track shortcut since the API seems a bit buggy (2.8b4). I don’t want to do too many workarounds until it’s been settled.

Moving tracks thru groups is a little tricky but it’s under control :)

Ever tried using Ableton Live? Shortcuts are not re-assignable and something as obvious as switching the metronome on/off has no keyboard shortcut.

Rest assured that all of us working on Renoise are keen keyboard users. The missing Rename shortcuts are a glaring omission and I’ll add them for the next beta release.

Thanks to KMaki for the other big keyboard issues thread as well, will try and look at what we can realistically achieve for 2.8 from that list. Keep the suggestions coming!

Yes, I have tried using Ableton Live. it’s interesting stuff. OSX allows me to re-map all the “main menu” keyboard shortcuts, but it is most vexing to see a company develop a software without keyboard preferences setting. Metronome On/Off, however, isn’t a problem. Just press CMD-K to go to Keyboard settings mode and click on Metronome On/Off icon with

press a key and save as songtemplate.

I was kinda thinking you were after the other, more arcane ableton live shortcuts, which are weird - like not being able to map “Slice to new midi track” to a shortcut, for instance. Luckily that can be done via OSX, but i dunno how it can be done on Windows. but yeah, it’sinteresting. when it comes to keyboard setting, Logic trumps Renoise, which trumps Ableton Live by a long shot, Live being the poorest of them.
One way in which Logic trumps Renoise when it comes to keyboard settings is the fact that when you are editing keyboard shortcuts, you have the possibility of selecting for all the keyboard shortcuts to be listed. You don’t have to keep clicking triangles. you can collapse and expand all the keyboard settings straight up. it’s really handy.
logic remembers where you were in the keyboard settings - if you close the window and come back, you’re still in the same place. renoise forgets where renoise was.

when you click on the names of keyboard shortcuts, and press some key, logic will start showing you the function that is mapped to that key. by doubleclicking on the “name” of the key (as renoise does as many other things do: " function-name (keyboard shortcut)"… by doubleclicking on the keyboard shortcut you get to start setting the keyboard shortcut a-new. this saves you from having to click to search for a function-name, then select the function-name you want, click on “assign window”, press keyboard shortcut, click assign.

see, what happens with me in renoise oftentimes is that i’m in the keyboard preferences, i select a function, go to press the keyboard shortcut… press the keyboard… … and go and search for another function to map a keyboard shortcut to. I eventually realize nothing’s been saved and remember to click Assign. It’s just so different.

you know, sometimes i wonder if renoise keypreferences wouldn’t benefit from a “more” mode just like with track dsps, disk browser etc.

Also, th efact that there’s currently no way of creating a keybindings.xml which is multidisciplinary (enabling me to create the same keyboard shortcut settings for both PC and OSX, would be wonderful! I use a very customized set of scripts and shortcuts to get as close as i can to ImpulseTracker - and would like to eventually try and go public with that, or get the remaining required help to get the last few features ironed out and it would mean a great deal to be able to write a PC & OSX -compliant bunch of shortcuts into one renoise keybindings.xml.
its just swell.

yes yes yes!

finally,
shortcuts for renaming!!!

EDIT: “but i dunno how it can be done on Windows.” -> http://tonearm.net/musictools/vitaminl.html

This is way more than i expected. I salute you. I honestly wasn’t expecting anything other than current features fine-tuning on the beta. That’s why I posted on the regular ideas&suggestions section. Anything on this sector I shall consider a bonus.

Ha! That just goes to show what an inexperienced Live user I am. Metronome was a bad example, but as you say, there are many other basic workflow things that you can’t map to keyboard shortcuts or MIDI controllers in Live.

And of course, most of the Logic features you mention would be lovely to have, but they would be a bigger job than the scope of 2.8 currently allows, I’m afraid. Would love to give the whole shortcut system an overhaul in the future though.

There is a quick and easy way to do this in Renoise. Type any thing in the Search box and then delete it (or use the clear X button.)

It remembers between tabs in the Preferences and it is a non-modal window, meaning you can still operate Renoise with it open. With no Collapse All it is an easy way to take the list to default of all closed and it’s not hard to just shift the window out of the way.

I don’t get 100% of that but the assign key is a must IMO. Or would you only prefer a pop-up in the case of a conflict? I prefer to see conflicts before choosing to assign or not. What gets me is clicking on the shortcut I want to assign and then hitting a key combination without first going to the entry box.

Nice idea.

Only discovered this in the recent threads on the subject and it surprised me a lot. Agree that it shouldn’t be too hard to convert between them really…

;) There’s always something new.

Thanks for appreciating the features. An overhaul would be amazing, whenever feasible. Keep up the great work.

Okay, here’s a little video for you :)

The process is this: Go into prefs->keys, select something, anything. Go real deep (to the actual function). then close the preferences. come back, you’re back to “default setting”.
also, the default setting can’t be made to be “expand all”. that (X) thing you recommended, i’ll try it out. Well, I tried it out during the video. Seems like a nice way of expanding everything.
now if only it worked without having to first search for something :) If (X) had a mouseover saying “Click this to expand / collapse all” & “click this to erase the word you searched for”, then sure, that’d be a pleasant solution, pleasant enough. I’d of course expect there to be some shortcut in the keyprefs for opening/closing all subfolders.

Well, see, you explained it yourself right with your last sentence. “What gets me is clicking on the shortcut I want to assign and then hitting a key combination without first going to the entry box”. That’s kind of what I try to do, too. With Logic, you first press a keyboard shortcut - it shows you the function assigned to the keyboard shortcut, if you now doubleclick on the keyboard shortcut (say CMD-B, for instance), you can press a keyshortcut and CMD-B gets overwritten with your new keyboard shortcut.
Basically all it is, is a method of signifying that when the user clicks on a keyboard shortcut in the “keys folder”, that the cursor focus is placed on the “keyboard shortcut entrybox”, and when the user maneuvers away to another function, the entrybox is reset to that.
Who knows, it could be easy.
(Mind you, one can create a script which has such a long description + path that the text overwrites/overlaps with the shortcut ;) (there’s no graphical protection against this).

Yep, and I’m glad that some (who are pretty good at talking in a constructive way ;) ) are starting to point these things out.

I said I know it does when you close the window but you don’t need to close the window to get back to Renoise (non-modal) and currently there is no other way to reset the view. Although I do also understand you may not just want to push the window out of the way a lot of the time as you think you’re done until you come across something else.

With your idea of the X being a Clear-Search/Collapse-All/Expand-All I could see it fitting a lot nicer though.

Seems like we are singing (almost) from the same sheet on this one. Pressing keys does not take you to the next entry starting with that letter so currently they do nothing. Arrow keys are one exception with this (as they do navigate plus expand/collapse) but it would be nice if it could auto enter into the New Assignment box after clicking what you want to change. If the Second Assignment feature gets implemented maybe the last assignment box you used? Or always the primary one?

Another thing that has bugged me at times is Renoise only lists the first conflict to a proposed shortcut.

EG. Go to assign Ctrl+C to any Global command. The only thing listed is “Pattern Editor:Block Operations:2nd Copy” although this shortcut is used for Copy in many, many different areas (pretty much all of them…)

Would be nice to see a full list on conflicts in one go and I have requested such on previous versions.