New Tool (2.7, 2.8): Rename Track, Pattern Shortcuts

NOTE: These functions are native as of Renoise 2.8 b5.

Hello. Something like this is a must for a keyboard junkie like me. This simply brings up a minimal GUI for renaming the current track. It is called through a keyboard shortcut, that can be found under Pattern Editor:Track Control.

The new auto close seems to keep stable… Here it is.
2798 com.kmaki.RenameTrack_Rns280_V1.1.xrnx

And a bonus. This similar shortcut seems to be missing too. The shortcut will install under Pattern Sequencer:Edit. (It seemed the most appropriate)
2799 com.kmaki.RenamePattern_Rns280_V1.1.xrnx

These should work on 2.7 and 2.8 alike. No API v3 stuff there.

any chance this could be modified to add to group?

Sounds nice, although I think this should definitely be native! A shortcut that gives focus to the track name to change it.

we got scripting so the devteam don’t have to give us shit that should be native. unfortunately, there’s a LOAD of shit that should be native, and isn’t. there’s nothing the hell we can do about it. :angry:

And you have the audacity to try and say I’m negative…

But I do agree this should be a native shortcut and I am quite surprised it’s not there.

I agree on the nativity. Luckily there’s scripting.

This track renaming was just one of the shortcomings of renoise keyboard-control. I’ve been meaning to take notes on what I want to do with keyboard and add an ideas&suggestions post. Or maybe first I should double check the availability of the keyboard functionality on the help-side of the forum.

Then, again, I’ve been meaning to do lots of things…

say, what happened to vader?
(advanced edit parameters shortcutting)?

please, please take notes as to which keyboard shortcuts are missing. we need a comprehensive list. maybe it would sway the devteam. it would do so much more than the message i’m posting after this one.

honestly? you have the audacity to mention Audacity on the Renoise forum? you got some big balls, dude. The difference between you and me is that I’m not against new ideas. I’m against old ideas being ignored. Firmly against it.

There’s an argument going on about Renoise. Non-trackers are always complaining about how shit it is to have to learn keyboard shortcuts. Well, the devteam have learned from that, and made sure that as few keyboard shortcuts as possible are available to the user. Especially when we get new features. Shortcuts don’t matter, and this is a fact. Renoise is a faux tracker - half meant to be used with keyboard, half meant to be used the way the devteam wants you to use it (= i.e., DON’T use it, and if you DO, use the MOUSE). Why is there such a mindset? I think it’s a throwback to the “Yeah well, you might be able to track real quick on ST3/IT2, but we have really nice buttons in FT2 and can use the mouse and it’s so much better, and yours looks like excel” Sweden Vs. Finland -thinking. (FT2=Swedish,ST3=Finnish)

2.9 will probably introduce the total removal of KeyBindings.xml, because people don’t use keybindings that often. Once there’s an onslaught of hate-mail towards the devteam, they’ll go “are you sure you need to use these functions so often?” (Taktik’s exact words on adv.edit parameters shortcuts (C))

I’m willing to be as fucking belligerent about this shit as I can (=as I have to be). While I truly treasure the fact that we can just go in and script shit that’s been ignored by the devteam, I still have the same opinion I had when Renoise introduced scripting, which was this:
“goddamnit, now they won’t have to implement anything that makes sense, and instead they’ll tell you to script them. goddamn them all!!!” :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

FACT: We WILL continue on being surprised at all the cool features Renoise introduces.
FACT: we WILL continue on being surprised at how they’re not available as shortcuts.
FACT: we WILL MOST DEFINITELY continue on being surprised at how basic Renoise editing functions are not available as keyboard shortcuts.
FACT: THEY WILL NOT BUDGE.
FACT: We will STILL continue on using Renoise, NO MATTER WHAT.
FACT: non-coders will try to script some of the missing functions - and they’ll be around here on the forums in a random mess - i.e., grab all 30 (arbitrary number) scripts IF you’re capable of decode the names to “this is useful for me”
FACT: Go back to first fact.

Now that the dust has settled, I did think of one thing: we have a forum thread for API functions requests… We could have a stickied-up forum thead for keyboard shortcut function requests. This would quickly show whether we honestly need 2nd keybindings for every function, or if there are actual, less divine shortcuts that people would gladly use. I would of course have to choke on the fact that api function requests take precedence over keyboard shortcut requests, but I’d choke on that willingly, knowing that this isn’t my project and I’m not in charge.

p.s. did i mention renoise is really good and is the most advanced tracker on earth?

He got overwhelmed with the power of the dark side, I recall? Yes. Now. Got that cheap shot out of the way…

Oh, yeah, that. Uhm. It’s still there. It’s haunting me. I want to do it but lack the willpower. Also I’m a little scared of that beast. It can bring a man down by its sheer amount of lines. Got. To. Try.

I started a list. :)

awesome, could i have a little look? :) (the list)
about the adv.edit parameters stuff, i’m sure 2.8 api would make it way more feasible…

It’s very small now:
-Focus DSP list search box (Actually this is doable but takes three key hits (Focus DSP lane,TAB,TAB))
-Move track (mouse only?)
-Move track into an existing group (mouse only?)
-Rename track (mouse only, just scripted a bypass)
-Rename Pattern (the same)
-Rename Section (mouse only, could be scripted.)
-and being able to edit DSP parameters without the mouse.

But I’m gathering more stuff as I bump into it.

-Hide / show instrument-box
-was gonna say “cursor focus to disk browser” but, Global->View->Focus/Show Disk op/Scopes exists - unfortunately api doesn’t have entries for it :)
-shortcuts for increasing / decreasing pc keyboard velocity ( ) (same for midi +1/-1)

• +1/-1 increase of BPM
    i guess there’s no need for me to list adv.edit parameters :)

KMaki, Let me know if you need any help making some kind of ‘essential missing shortcuts’ pack. I’d be glad to help with something.

Hey, thanks for the offer! I just finished a gigantic task of posting my keyboard gripes so far. Let’s see how that builds up. That kind of pack would definitely be a good start.

Can you link?

KMaki,

Let’s do a main.lua that just uses require to include files? Then we can submit files here for you to add and release.

e g:

require "rename_pattern"  

will include rename_pattern.lua.

sorry to be either venting negativity or off-topic, but doesn’t require "file.lua"s kinda start slowing down renoise after you have more than 4 or 5 of them in a script?

@KMaki: Damn. I was also making a tool for renaming tracks… :( Too bad that I didn’t have time for it during the last weeks and you managed to post yours first.

Sounds all right to me. Say. You’ve been lately doing lots of that track/group stuff, eh? wink wink

I doubt it and have never heard of that.

Yes. What do you need? :)