New Tool (2.7 & 2.8): Slices To Pattern

Those delays can be a pain to work with, but if that’s how it’s sliced then that’s what you’ll get :)

But I’m adding some quantise options in the next update anyway, plus a few other handy things.

nice one!

:drummer:

man your tool totally rocks… i sliced some cool loop to the pattern and copied it to another channel and changed the samplenumber manually to a vst and played along with the groove of the original loop with my vst-synth it sounded SWEEETTT!!! this is going to be used EXTENSIVELY in my productions!!!

sorry for all the SHOUTING and the EXCLEMATIONMARKS!!! i am just very exited! hahaha

yo, quick question

i put down a sliced breakbeat at 4LPB but i want to expand it to 8 but the delay numbers kinda mess it up i guess, was just wondering if there was some way in renoise to quantize the delay to fit it at 8LPB because i cant get it to work. guess i should have just put it down at 8 haha.

though i guess i could just take what i have, render it to sample, slice it all up again, then put it down at 8lbp lol. ah well, i’ll probably end up doing that before i get a reply but it will be handy to know anyway

You could potentially use my Pattern Resizer tool. This tool lets you expand or shrink a pattern to any new size you want (not just half/double) and it will also recalculate the delays.

But yeah… why not simply re-run my Slices to Pattern tool at 8 LPB? The result will probably be more accurate this way, unless I have misunderstood you?

@cat hero: I meant to say that you should just change the Sync value on the original sample and then re-run my tool. For example, if your loop fits into 16 lines at 4 LPB, then you should change Sync to 32 lines for 8 LPB and re-run the tool. Everything is calculated based on the number of Sync lines you set, so you must change this to correctly fit your current LPB settings.

the pattern resizer worked fine! it was already all chopped and resequenced so it would have been messy cutting it back up after rendering it. thanks dude

it might be too much to ask but would it be feasible to have it quantize as close as it can in terms of lpb without delay numbers? that might be kinda hard??? idk, i’m not nearly as tech savvy as half of you dudes

Yo , since vV created a script that renders slices to a new instrument ( New Tool (2.7): Render Slices To New Instrument ). Is it possible you have your slices to pattern script also work with these type of rendered slices? Would be great! :)

This’d be amazing

this seems really cool but i cant really understand how to use it… first off I cant open the file? (i use 2.7.1 ofcourse…)

First, save the file org.illformed.SlicesToPattern.xrnx to your computer somewhere (your desktop for example).

To install the tool, drag the .xrnx file from wherever you saved it directly into Renoise’s main window.

To use the tool, read the info in my first post.

Thanks! This was exactly what I needed, once I figure out how to set the pattern lines thing properly (my loop plays much too slow).

But why is it “Slices to Pattern” not “Slices to Track”? I looked for it in first the Column submenu, then the Track menu, last in the Pattern menu. :)

Best renoise tool yet. Doing it manually WAS a pain in the ass.

[quote=“dblue”]
Slices To Pattern v1.01:
1788 org.illformed.SlicesToPattern.xrnx

Thank you

renoise.tool():add_midi_mapping {  
 name = "Pattern Editor:Pattern:Slices To Pattern",  
 invoke = function()  
 local song_pos = renoise.song().transport.edit_pos  
 if (song_pos.line > 1) then  
 renoise.song().transport.follow_player = false  
 renoise.song().transport.loop_block_enabled=false  
 song_pos.line = 1   
 renoise.song().transport.edit_pos = song_pos   
 renoise.song().selected_note_column_index=1  
 return   

process()  
 end  
 end  
}  

Nice. Now I just press a pad on the MPKMini and the slices get mapped to first row of pattern automatically.

Aside from its intended use, this is actually a really really great compositional tool, especially for poly bpm since you can see the beat markers move as you move the bpm.

It may be possible to use this for live purposes as well, if:

1. adding a marker went directly to pattern or making a series of markers then hitting go.
  2. option to view one sample but make markers on a ghost sample, presumably an empty one.

hey dblue, i miss your tool BADLY in 2,8! hope you’ll be able to update sometime soon.

greetings!

me too 8)

Added the 2.8 tool to the first post. No new features for now, but I do have a few in progress that I will hopefully release in an update soon. I will probably also be renaming the tool to “Slices to Track”, which is more accurate.