New Tool (2.7, 2.8): Step Sequencer

Superb tool, one of the best in renoise, with abilities of drum processor tool it could be…wow.

Thank you :)
The adjustment of the sequence length is a good idea and was initially planned. I hope to implement an option for it in the next beta. The C-4 for (multi)sample is the default note; as you already mentioned it will be set to the base note if you select the multisample again.
Hmm accepting keyboard shortcuts is a good idea, but I don’t know if I can handle it in the next time.

Thank you :)

Sorry for the late answers, I was quite busy, but also extended the step sequencer tool.
I bought myself a Launchpad device and made the stepsequencer both visible and editable on it. Also the “Lauflicht” (moving light) which is always the first row on the Launchpad is shown. So the LEDs are lighting when a note is set on the step sequencer gui and vice versa.
I am currently testing it but it will take some time though.

If someone is interested in the Launchpad version please post here or mail me so that I can see if there is interest in.

I will also upload the 1.2 version to the tools page as it seems to be stable.

This really should be implemented in Renoise team as a separate tab imo! :)

The best tool for me in Renoise.
Works great, still I have to figure out how the Midi-Mapping works to do Step-Sequencing in “Berliner Schule” ;)
(I admit, first I have to understand how the “Berliner Schule” works in Detail, although Köln is nearer to my place)

There is an new update. The tool should run on Renoise 2.7 now. The new version also has besides a better moving light performance a new feature:
v.1.5:

• adjustable step length: 8, 16 or 32 steps can be set in the added preferences dialog. There you can set the number of steps and the settings will be saved automatically.

There will also be a special new Novation Launchpad version. You can set/remove the steps with the Launchpad buttons, having the first row as the moving light and the other rows as the appropriate tracks. So the set steps of the pattern are reflected to the Launchpad LEDs and vice versa. You can also scroll through the tracks with up/down buttons and page the view with left/right, also adjusting editstep, page number etc. It will make the Launchpad to a nice Hardware StepSequencer. :)

Please see the first post for download.

@Jonas and Ungleichklang:
Thank you very much :)

:drummer:

one of the best tools for me in renoise, thank you cie!

dont know if its possible, but a great wish for me is transposing a note-sequence per midikeyboard;

regards
(huby)

aaah finally it’s compatible with 2.7 :slight_smile: well done cie!

:w00t:
When will it come? When will it come? When will it come? When? When? When? :rolleyes:
Just asking, because my launchpad just arrived here yesterday… :dribble:

Have you seen the first post in this thread ???

<_<
You mean the post where it says “there WILL BE a launchpad version”…?
Yes, i’ve seen it… :rolleyes:

It seems indeed not yet implemented.

Nice to read that there is some interest in it :)
I plan to finish it somewhen end of June… it already looks good.

How difficult would it be to implement a fully adjustable step length? I’ve often been working in 12LPB lately :]

awesom this tool!!!

Can’t wait to check out your Launchpad implementation, both in functionality and code! Great tool.

General tool API Question: Is there a protocol for inter-tool communication? Is anyone doing this with OSC? Would be awesome to have a set of callbacks that other tools could listen on, for say… StepSequencer and Duplex integration.

Question… Looking at the code (loads of lua’s with loads of, uhh, stuff) - what exactly would it take to get back to the core-functionality, i.e., one row of steps, on/off -toggle per step… and if it’s on, a function would be toggled?

Basically just asking what the bare bones of the StepSeq would look like, if you dispensed with everything, and just retained one “channel”, and instead of notes, made it call functions…

Hm, that is not so easy, some uncommon stepsizes would cause some errors, because the setting is related to the patternlength. What step lengths do you would like to have?

Thanks :) Regarding your question, I do not know. Maybe you can ask this question in a separate thread in the forum? Would be interesting to hear from the devs if it’s possible.

What kind of functions you would like to trigger? I do not get the sense of your proposal…

Anything other than notes. Just need the bare bones of toggling functions. Examples: metronome on, metronome off.

Ok, but this would be a completly other tool. You also have to visualize which function on which step has to be triggered, also a selection of the available “functions”. Somehow this reminds me of the tool Glitch