New Tool (2.8-3.1): Padsynth

I’ve added a few more patches to the tarball…

Great tool.

This is a really interesting tool. It seems to provide super fat sounds. I’m wondering if anybody is using this for bass… and if yes, could you link some audio, soundcloud- youtube, etc…

Great! I really like the two new “pluck synths”, especially #5.

The link hasn’t changed, right? I don’t need to update the first post?

I’m wondering too. I did some experimenting, but I’m not good enough at sound design to post anything. I think one interesting feature of the algorithm for bass is that you can enter the sample at any point, since it’s fully looped. So you can use the S effect command (and the Renoise humanize feature) to add small sound variations to each note of a bass line.

The link hasn’t changed, I’m just pouring new sounds into the same tarball. I’ll add more sounds from time to time, and post here, when there’s enough new sounds.

I’ll have a stab at bass sounds next. I mostly prefer my bass sounds “thin” (non-detuned), they tend to provide the firmest lo-end IMHO, so PadSynth is not the obvious choice here…

No worries. next version of AwesomeSawce should have this… fixed before next weekend :)

“Discovered” this just a few minutes ago. And I’m pretty surprised. Def have to play around a bit with this on the weekend. :) Thanks, drakmaniso! Keep up the good work!

Just thought I’d mention here for any that haven’t noticed and have been enjoying this wonderful tool that it is featuring quite heavily in the current DDRC competition round ;)

Thanks! Your posts with incredible device tricks are always a great source of inspiration for me, so I hope my tool will be useful to you in return!

I don’t have enough time right now to read the forum, so I wasn’t aware of this… That’s really great! I can’t wait to hear the songs…

Nice tool! I’m using it now for the 35’th round of ddrc. :)

This kind of DDRC round generally produces interesting demo examples, like in the previous resynth 2 based round.

This is better than vsti for me, still figuring out how it works but its not hard to make a nice sound that fits in the mix. My latest track (my sig) uses it for all the pads. massive thanks!

Thanks for all the nice comments! If anyone has suggestions to improve the tool or add new features, don’t hesitate to ask.

You mean it’s a bit awesome – this thing now capably replaces a number of my favourite warezed VSTi’s samplepacks. Here’s a fact: I ran into a limit with “only” 256 harmonics – the instrument noticeably runs out of harmonics at about C-2 :wink:

Still, you get choirs (play with the ‘circle’ setting), basses, supersaws, disco leads, harpsichord-like electro leads, all kinds of fun.

EDIT:
Suggestions:

• Make unison operate in realtime without re-rendering the samples – as far as I can see, all it needs to do is check that the original sample is duplicated N times and then play with their fine-tunes.
  • Extend the above point to all applicable settings
  • Allow step to max out completely to the full note range – for generated samples with self-similar harmonic series (i.e. saw, square, etc), you don’t really need too many “in-betweener” samples to capture the full character of the sound.
  • For placement = harmonic, a more visibly-disabled state for the dials would improve usability – perhaps even hide them entirely.

I see from tools like this that I have yet to learn a lot.
one thing is for sure, your method of saving instrument settings is fackn cool :D

Thanks for the suggestions. The unison generation is a bit more complicated than duplication (each voice has a slightly different sample), so with my current method I can’t make the number of voices update in real-time. It’s on the to-do list for the two other settings.

As for the disabled state, unfortunately there’s not much I can do. Hiding the dials messes with the layout, and the disabled effect is handled by Renoise. I agree it should be more obvious.

I hope I’ll find some time soon to update the tool.

And that’s why I think Lua is really the perfect language for in-app scripting: it’s really easy to do this kind of thing, and a lot of functionality can be provided just by using the language itself.

Wow… wonderful tool! Can you make another one that generate percussion drum sonds, like bass drum, snare, hi hats, tom tom…
Thanks Emanuele (from Cremona, Italy)
my web: www.acadballa.com

Thanks. Zeitgeber already suggested I do a drum generator like the old MDA DrumSynth, and that’s definitely something I would like to do. Unfortunately I don’t have any time right now to code new scripts, not even update my previous ones.Hopefully this will change soon.

i’m seeing a ton of versions, will you be making an official version anytime soon, so it’ll be on tools.renoise.com, please?

It is on the tools page: PadSynth | Renoise :)