New Tool (2.8-3.1): Padsynth

love it, nice job!
I don’t hear much difference between the placement types, I can remember making some really strange but beautiful dissonances with zynaddsubfx version of padsynth… not sure though, maybe just me and I need to try this out more carefully.

Thanks!

In order to have dissonance, for “Multiplied” and “Powered” you need the “Treshold” and “Harmonize” settings at minimum, and set “Amount” to a quite high or low value. This last rotary encoder is logarithmic, not linear, so the values around 0 are for subtle adjustments.

For “Waved”, you need to set the period to something above 1, and play with the amount (“Harmonize” still at 0%).

Also, you can check the resulting deformation in the first sample generated (the one named “PadSynth Parameters”), if you use the “Test Note” mode instead of “Keyzones”.

I could also implement the same placement methods used in ZynAddSubFx, if you think they are more useful.

Cool! I’m tweaking around with it now and I’m finding some sweet sounds… will manage :)

btw I also found another, stranger implementation of padsynth in this application (at least I think it is the same type of algorithm): http://archive.notam02.no/arkiv/doc/mammut/

you might find it interesting, very nice for mangling sounds… dunno how applicable a renoise implementation would be as the CPU usage is pretty steep in comparison, dunno how fast Lua FFT would be…

Neato. I’m gonna play around with this.

I’ve made it possible to open PadSynth over an existing (non-padsynth) instrument, but I don’t know how to offer this feature to the user. I see two possibilities:

Just always add PadSynth over the selected instrument if there is one; this means that to create a completely new instrument, the user will have to delete first the previous one, or select an empty slot.

My preferred solution would #2, but may be that would confusing?

Also, at the moment ReSynth doesn’t seem to like if someone add samples after its own, and refuses to open. Someone will have to request this feature to mxb too… :lol:

Nice, I didn’t know that one. Will test it.

Ït is very nice and it is indeed possible to create usable stuff with it, but yeah I suppose it must be hard to get through the wall of great free VSTi’s :unsure:

I love this tool, although I just tried it for 10 mins.

I’m on linux and almost never user any plugins, for various reasons. But this tool is perfect for me.

Thanks alot, will keep on testing :)

this definitely replaces my PCM-based korg 03R/W’s specific types of pads :)

Thanks, to know it’s being used is a great motivation!

I’m on linux too, and it’s true that finding good plugins can be problematic, especially now that everyone is moving to LV2, not (yet?) supported by Renoise. But I also really like the idea of self-contained song files, which do not depend on third party software. That’s probably what I like the most in the tracker approach to sequencing.

I’ll probably release a new version today, with the unison feature and the ability to layer PadSynth over existing samples (I still haven’t figured an UI for this, though).

I’ve uploaded a new version on the tool page.

New features:

• Unison, up to 8 voices, with detune and panning - Ability to use PadSynth over an existing instrument, to layer multiple types of sounds - Added some tooltips to explain the parameters - The fake sample containing the parameters is no longer at position 0

Note that for the unison mode, all voices use the same wavetable, but starting at different points. Also note that you’ll have to adjust the volume manually in order to avoid clipping.

For the ability to layer PadSynth over other samples, I’ve choosed the simplest approach: if the selected slot is empty, then a new instrument is created, otherwise PadSynth is layered above the existing instrument. Hopefully this isn’t too confusing.

great tool for keys, leads, pads… really liking this man!

btw if you like building this sort of stuff, here’s another piece of synth code just waiting for someone to pick up on it: http://sourceforge.net/projects/drumsynth/files/drumsynth/drumsynth_2_0_0/

it’s the old MDA DrumSynth open sourced :)

I attempted this but I can’t get my head around Lua…

[quote=“drakmaniso, post:29, topic:35859”]
But I also really like the idea of self-contained song files, which do not depend on third party software. That’s probably what I like the most in the tracker approach to sequencing.

Agreed!

Hardstyle and trance leads on tap and a whole lot more.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Right now I’m using Exciter to cover additional harmonics, as playing notes below C4 seems to lose the higher harmonics (even when generating specific samples for those). The sound dirties a little bit, but it’s better than losing HF detail for notes below C4.

If anyone else finds this a problem, perhaps:

• Add more harmonics sliders? - Extrapolate the 64 existing harmonics to produce additional ones as required to (re)cover the high-end. (I’m thinking an inverse-FFT on an FFT of the slider values.)
    Bloody brilliant piece of work though. Quality easily rivals a lot of VSTi’s out there and offers portability and native-sample-manipulation advantages (obviously at the cost of automating synthesis parameters). SO quick to use.

hi. i hope that it will be possible to divide the volume when in unison mode, directly in padsynth, to evade clipping. do you think that could be done?

Yes, I was thinking about adding more harmonics, probably up to 256 with a system of pages in the interface. Also I’ve added a “base function” similar (but more restricted) to what’s in ZynAddSubFX, which will help programming sound with lots of harmonics without having to move too many sliders. Btw, I’m glad you like the tool!

It’s already possible to divide the volume before sample generation (the leftmost rotary encoder), and I plan to make this setting realtime, so that it’s possible to make adjustment after sample generation. I would have liked to automatically divide the level when the unison is in use, but I can’t figure the correct formula, especially when there is panning.

A drum synth sounds cool, but I don’t think I’m able to understand its synthesis method just from reading code, I don’t have enough audio programming knowledge for that. Also, there’s another synth idea I’m toying with at the moment…

can we have a set of “- Triangle”, “- Square”, “- Sawtooth” buttons?

could we make clicking-of-test-note-button render the current sound?
took me a while to realize… first click on test-note… then click on render.

That’s a good idea! This make some interesting combinations.

Not with the current GUI layout. If that’s too confusing, I could add a new section just for the test note, with its own “Generate” button.

could we have a way of “more triangle” “more saw” “more square” kind of like “take current waveform, +Saw it” or something? not sure if it’s possible.
maybe the testnote could be right next to the generate whole sound? not sure.

alright yeah the sound engine is a little bit peculiar… there’s a GUI in that archive and you should be able to run it with wine, but you need VB runtimes for it.

I should try and hack something together…

what type of synth are you toying with?