New Tool (2.8-3.1): Padsynth

That’s the solution I initially implemented, turns out it’s really annoying: I was constantly hitting the wrong button. Also, I needed some place to configure which test note should be generated. So if I change the current method, I’ll have to add a new section beside “Sample Format”, if there is enough place.

I’m not sure if I understand you correctly about the “more saw” feature, but I’ve added a “base function” feature that might correspond to that.

At the moment It’s more an idea that I wanted to test, something that generates sequences of basic waveforms, e.g. a saw that morphs into a pulse, then into a sine, and so on. With different sequences for several voices. Not sure if anything usable will come out of it.

As for DrumSynth, I’ll reboot into windows ans see if I can figure something out of the interface, but if you’re willing to code I can only encourage you! Lua can be a bit offsetting at first, but it’s a really elegant language, and with a little experience you can achieve things really easily with it.

I have Programming in Lua 5 bookmarked here… more a lack of motivation really, OOP is a bit of a mystery to me still.

one suggestion: it would be nice if I could lower the resolution, so previewing what I’m doing can be a little faster… especially nice for tuning the placement stuff.

You mean choosing a lower sample rate for the test note? It would have to be configurable then, because below 44100 Hz there is a noticeable change in the sound. I guess I’ll add a whole section dedicated to the test note.

Ah that’s also a possibility but I meant lowering the amount of harmonics.

In the next version there’s an optimization where harmonics set to 0 won’t be generated, this should speed up things in some cases. But changing the number of harmonics between full generation and test note would change the sound too much, and would defeat the test purpose, imho.

Edit: you will also be able to further shorten the test sample duration, which will speed things a lot.

ah alright fair enough, actually the way you are planning it sounds good to me :)

i was hoping there would be some miniature mode which would allow one to maybe halve the harmonic sliders vertical length, since it does take a lot of screen estate at least in my resolutions

I’ve uploaded a new version on the tool page.

New features / improvements:

  • Up to 256 harmonics (which is probably a bit overkill). - Possibility to use a “base function”, in order to easily produce sounds with rich harmonics, without having to move too many sliders. - More ways to automatically alter the harmonic profile: added “- Saw” “- Square”… buttons, and a “Modify” section to add, sub, multiply and divide the current profile. - The volume, attack and NNA settings are now realtime, so it’s possible to make adjustements after sample generation. - The “Test Note” now has its own section.

I’ve bumped the version to 1.0, as all the features I initially planned are there. As always, suggestions for improvement / new ideas are always welcome.

Unfortunately it’s not just the sliders, the other parameters take a lot of space too. I would have to replace the rotary encoders with sliders, remove the displayed values and I’m not sure this would be really usable.

Nice! Testing :yeah:

awesome!!! :panic: :panic:

question: can unison be made post-render? as in, unison could be used after rendering, to create the copies?

I can probably make the detune/width parameters update in realtime. However creating the samples when changing the number of voices would take too much time to be practical.

But that would be a good idea for a separate tool: something that can create unison on an existing instrument… The problem is, I have too many tool ideas already… :rolleyes:

Hey, they’re very nice! That’s really great to hear that, thanks a lot.

My favorites are “glass pad 1”, all the “pluck synth” and “rave”. For many of them, I would never I guessed they were done with PadSynth…

Do you want me to put the link in the first post, so that more people can see it?

excellent update, the test note button works really well. have to see if 64+ is useful, but it’s not in the way or anything…

just wondering, why does the count stop at 99 with the harmonic sliders? is that a space issue?

@drakmaniso: feel free to add a link in the first post. These first were a result of initial playing around, will probably add more patches to the tarball soonish :slight_smile:

got this one:

after setting ‘Base Function’ to ‘saw’, spread bandwidth to 197 ct, growth to 3.0, placement to ‘multiplied’, treshold of 2, I either tried changing amount and/or Harmonize…then the notice popped up.

Great! I’ve added the link to the first post.

Yes, I tried many solutions, but none worked correctly with 3 digits. Anyway, as you said, manual editing above 64 will probably be very rare.

I can’t reproduce it, but I think I know what is the problem. Thanks!

I had the basis on one in a Tool (at least for 2.7, not tested with 2.8) but the setting are hard coded (eg fixed 8 voices), spread and adjustments are random and it was partly a proof of concept and hasn’t been updated in a long time.

BitArts did suggest an alternative method for more even spread and apparently more typical type unison sound.

One day I might try and do some more to my small collection of tools. Ordered a refurbished eeepc earlier, so maybe I can do little bits and bobs on the move and during the times the boss isn’t in at work (early mornings/late evenings/weekends.) ;)

Useful stuff. Made some pretty cool sounds with it.