New Tool (2.8): Cells! 2.0

Wait wait,i heard someone say FM SYNTH,is this a reality yet :w00t:???

Hi… It might be nice to have a function, “are you sure you want to start cells.” because i downloaded this thing, I can totally see how I could accidentally, maybe, one day by mistake start this thing, in the middle of a project, while I am messing about with my instruments… I’d have to revert to a saved project wouldn’t i? i make a lot of saves though… but still… not a bad idea right? cause cells sort of does weird stuff when you start it… or would it ask me to save my project file first, and create a new one?

Question about Realtime ‘Slice Based’ Timestretch: So Cells! will let you timestretch sliced loops so that each slice will stretch as you change the global tempo? I haven’t had a chance to download and play with it yet but if this means that you can also sequence loop slices and have them all sync to the changing BPM, that would be a dream come true!

will other midi controllers such as the APC40 be supported in the future?

When I start Cells it says this:

“Master output not assigned as output device selected in preferences doesn’t exist.”

It repeats this with cue output. Both are set as FW 410 Multi 1 and 2.

Cells loads up but the Launchpad doesn’t work. I attached a screenshot of my preferences dialogue. I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing wrong.

Yeah, I get that message as well. Audio output works fine, so I’m not sure what to make of it.

As for the Launchpad, are you sure you have selected the right device?
On my system, the launchpad registers as a MIDI device called “launchpad” and works fine.

But from the screenshot, it seems you have selected a wrong or different device -
where it says “FW 410 M…” and “Microsoft…” - these are the input and output MIDI ports - you need to select the launchpad for both

Thanks, I got the Launchpad to work, but I still can’t get this software to do anything. I loaded up one of the Renoise Drum kits and it still wasn’t doing anything. I press the button that lines up to my Launchpad and I get nothing. I keep wishing there was a Video Tutorial going into how it works. I read through the manual and I still didn’t understand how to use this thing. I’m sure that once I figure it out it will be a cool Tool.

How do you use this thing? It’s really driving me nuts.

I’m with Dylan G. I was wondering, though. Seeing that, when it plays cells! erases the midi data that is in renoise , can one output midi data from cells to another application, e.g. max/msp? Thanks for any help…

I would like to try to help make an extension to Cells! 2.0 for the axiom 25 controller. anyone want to help?

So I’m trying to experiment with this tool and im not getting any satisfying results. i load up a drum break and for whatever reason cells plays it on the lowest note at the lowest octave, so all im hearing is slow noise unless i transpose it every single time. i also cant figure out how to reopen cells when i exit without starting up a new cells session.

Greetings!

Thanks for the great Cells tool!

What about the possibility of recording your arrangement?

Sincerely,

Artur

Is Cell dead?

Is Cell dead?

Good question. I see no release for Renoise 3.x. I tried to run the latest Cells release under Renoise 3.0.1 but it refuses to allow me to enable the tool, with a message saying it is incompatible.

This is not a major issue for me at the moment as I still run 2.8.2 most of the time (mainly because I am still wrapping up a number of songs and do not want to have to worry about changes in how anything behaves. And I am more comfortable with the 2.8 UI.)

My biggest hurdle is that I have no real idea how to use Cells. I am not really good at reading manuals from front to back and have not found anything to help me do anything useful with it.

The lack of updates makes me think further help is not coming.

Indeed, it’s been a while since 3.x was released and nothing forthcoming is not a good sign. To be honest, I’m amazed that such a great tool can fall in to deprecation but unfortunately it’s often the way. It’s times like these when I wish I could code (maybe it’s about time to learn lua seeing as my daw uses it as well as my window manager…).

I just grabbed the Cells manual and watched the demo video and for the life of me I cannot yet figure out how to use this.

It seems to require that all your instruments be set to loop.

I have my Launchpad plugged in but it has no effect.

I can get Cells to sorta work with Renoise 3.x by editing manifest.xml and upping the API number. Renoise will then allow me to enable the tool.

But I get a Lua error if I try to start it. Now that I know some Lua I’m tempted to poke around and see what can be done to make it play nice with 3.x, but the lack of proper documentation is putting me off. I’ve yet to do anything useful with Cells in 2.8.

The Cells manual seems more like an FAQ; it describes assorted details but lacks any kind of “Getting started” help. It seems to assume you already know what it does and why it does it.

Maybe it’s not worth digging in to it if it is going to be that complex just finding out what it does and how it works? Seems such a shame to see this turn to bitrot though, looks like it had a lot of potential.

does the multiplayer network sync over OSC across different platforms? like a linux laptop and windows desktop?

Does anyone still use this tool? Still need to check out Duplex so not sure if most of these features got rolled into that. Appreciate it if anyone knows either way, this looks like a lot of fun and something I miss from Ableton. Thanks!

2 Likes