New Tool (2.8): Custom Wave Generator

“12.5%, 25%, 50% and 75%” is that referring to volume? If so, you need to set -18, -12, -6 and -2.5 dB respectively.

To change the pitch gradually, loop the wave and use pitch envelopes in the instrument section.

It-Alien do you plan to port this to 3.0 when it will get out of beta?

He means pulse width. You do it by selecting pulse instead of square.

Hello guys,
I privately messaged It-Alien but didnt get any response, so I am reporting bug here.

I tried to generate few sounds and it seems they are detuned. I had same problem when I tried to generate tone with sample_rate / 440 (hz). When I play generated wave by this tool, my tuner shows 441 Hz for A, it should be 440 Hz for proper A (well, for 440 hz tuning, not for 432 or course). And other tones are detuned as well. I know it’s not much, but if you play several instruments and one is detuned, it just doesnt feel right…

I have some stock waves I generated with this tool and put in a folder to tide me over until wavegen is updated for R3, and I loaded my sine up and checked it with a tuner, and it shows 440.16 Hz for me. Which is pretty damn close for a single cycle sample. Checked my other waves too, and they’re all the same, 440.16.

It might be the sample size is too small, try this:

For whatever wave you are generating, set the root note to C0. This gives the largest possible sample size for the tool, which will result in higher resolution, and thus less artifacts. If you generate a C4 sine, you have visible and audible harmonics (it sounds distorted). If you generate a C0 sine, it’s just fine. This might effect the tuning too.

This is exactly how I solved it in my private waveform generator :slight_smile: Not sure why my tuner shows those from Custom Wave detuned though… I think I’ll try other tuner :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for explanation :wink:

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm

That’s the tuner I’m using, highly recommend it. Most tuners I have tried have been absolutely worthless for tuning bass guitar, but this one has no trouble at all.

there is a problem when using more than one cycles. there is a glitch at every cycle start.

When using the morpher generator, it doesn’t really tell you that you need to have other extant waves to morph to/from, and misbehaves if you set it to nonexistent waves.

It would work better if error handling detected the misbehaving condition and reported proper usage.

and it would be better if it doesnt replace all waveforms in instrument but just use selected sample.

@carbonthief: thanks for the tips about gtune and using octave 0 for wave generator to increase resolution (I got 440.17Hz for A4 after generating the A0 sine).

Hi all, I don’t want that “Generate Custom Wave” tool delete all the samples in the current instrument, or it will be good if youcould choose if delete them or not.

thanks

I was fiddling around with this tool and seeing very interesting spectrum vibes, until I ended up into something very weird bug …

6574 CustomBug.png

It has something to do with ‘Arc Sine’ and ‘Arc Cosine’ waveforms. With cycles set to 1 all fine. If I set cycles bigger than 1, I start to get kinda empty bits between cycles. And if I restart custom wave generator after this I get ‘Scripting tool error’ like this:

std::logic_error: 'ViewBuilder: invalid value for slider: '0.665261'. value must be [0 - 0.5].'
stack traceback:
  [C]: ?
  [C]: in function '__newindex'
  [string "do..."]:22: in function <[string "do..."]:9>
  ./gui.lua:110: in function 'change_tab'
  ./gui.lua:987: in function 'show_dialog'
  main.lua:120: in function <main.lua:120>

Should this be impossible to happen ?

After reading this topic wholly …

… I am really sorry for not being such the regular forum user I have been in the past. I’m currently really busy with work and real-life tasks but I keep on reading the forum and sometimes also posting, and of course using Renoise …

… I found out that …

… Definitely feel free to add features to it. All of my scripts are actually intended more like kickstarts for any other willing coder

… I should start learning this Lua scripting/terminal thingie, so I might one day figure out that error by myself.

I wonder is that error message even related to those emty bits ???

I have some experience in C and Python and after reading those scripting documentation files and API.txts it kind of a makes sense.

My only concern in this topic is though that: should Renoise scripting engine somehow block empty bits appearing in sample editor ? Or do you need them for some ninja tracking trick ? I mean is this actually a bug in Renoise ?