New Tool (2.8): Guru

[crosspost 'cause i didn’t notice this topic at first, sorry]

I’m working on a definition for Guru. Everything is working fine but I need a way to specify what channel certain cc’s are sent over.
Can I set a channel for each group? Or section or even parameter if that’s what needs to happen.
The synth I’m using doesn’t use sysex and uses the same cc messages on channels 1-5 for similar parameters.
Thanks!

hm there is a problem with the saed presets and the RESEND button,
the presets i save is not the same, when i resend to the synth(a station)
i need to move all the knobs again to get the same settings.

anybody get the same results with other Guru Synths?

any update?

Yo!

Damn I have for some reason not recieved notifications from this forum thread for years.

Anyway, I have not made anu guru updates for ages, and i got no plans to do so either… But many people seem to solve things anyway.

Cheers
CB

Any chance of improving or updating this tool? I have a synth that requires the MIDI channel information to be inserted into the Sysex Message Template, the 3rd byte needs to be 0x3+(MIDI Channel).

Example:

-Midi Channel selected is (1);

-sysex_message_template = {0xF0, 0x42, 0x30, 0x03, 0x41, “nn”, “vv”, 0xF7},

-Midi Channel selected is (12);

-sysex_message_template = {0xF0, 0x42, 0x3B, 0x03, 0x41, “nn”, “vv”, 0xF7},

Is this already Possible or does there need to be a new variable defined? Using “cc” does not work in this case.

please update the preset section, that is not working right at the moment…

cheers

!!!Pls add tampltes for yamaha fs1r and dx100!!! Thnx!!!

i think you should update to work in 3.0 please!!!

Yo!

Damn I have for some reason not recieved notifications from this forum thread for years.

Anyway, I have not made anu guru updates for ages, and i got no plans to do so either… But many people seem to solve things anyway.

Cheers
CB

Cornbeast, thank you for this! This tool is still working for me in 3.0 (at least for my Alpha Juno II). Tweaking knobs in Renoise on the Juno without a PG-300 – awesome!

Even as-is, this tool could be amazing with more additions to the synth definitions. I wish I understood more on how to interpret the sysex messages or midi specs.

I have a Korg DW-6000 I would like to create definitions, but I’m not sure how to proceed. I am looking as ‘Daniel’s’ DW-8000 script as a guide.

Here are the service and owners manuals:

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Korg/DW-6000_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf

http://thesnowfields.com/manuals/dw6000ownersmanual.pdf

If anyone can assist me on how to translate midi specs into the synth definition, I would be grateful. For example/for starters: How do I determine what the sysex_message_template should be?

Regards,

John

John

I’m no expert but I’ve dug out my old DW8000 definition to remind me of how it goes and I think you could try the following:

0xF0, 0x42, 0x30, 0x04, “nn”, “vv”, 0xF7

This is from p.46 of the manual, on p.48 are the parameter numbers which you need to change in the DW8000 definition and also delete the ones which are not used.

Daniel

Thank you, Daniel.

I’ll give it a try with that template and reassign the relevant parameters numbers/values and see what happens.

Appreciate the reply!

John

Hi… how do I find out if there’s already a D-5 -compatible Guru …preset? Could be D-10 for all I know.

I never understood Sysex. Honestly. I’m able to map CC stuff very quite okay with stuff like Logic, but I could never comprehend SYSEX at all.

Is there a crashcourse I can take re: GURU/SYSEX/reading manual SYSEX info, apart from reading the 13 pages of this thread?

!!!Pls add tampltes for yamaha fs1r and dx100!!! Thnx!!!

I made one for DX7, I`m pretty sure you could fck sht up with a DX100 using that.

I have few feature requests:

1. Meta modifier — has to be, in some extent, Hydra for Guru framework. You can bind, with specified ranges, group of already declared parameters (or only one) to newly created control. Corresponding controls for this parameters should update their states with meta modifier. Meta modifiers could be grouped.

2. Rotary knobs. I believe they can be composed into something like this:
    8103773302_633d2feee0.jpg

Two great ideas that would make this thing even betterer

Problem?

Ok let’s kick it into gear!

I will get into the tool and start developing on it.

I am working on a AN200 synth definition too.

Todo:

Update for Renoise 3

Add the current working templates into the guru tool

Presets that are saved, do not work correctly (Resend issue)

Other type of encoders to save huge space. This will probably require a recode of the current synthdefinitions.

Prepare functions for the patch/bank dump of sysex information and librarian kind of stuff.

I am pretty new to LUA but have Python experience. This is probably most of a time thing then anything else, so bear with me :slight_smile:

Please post any synthdefinitions that you would like to have added.

I found:

Blofeld

MicroKorg

Updated Shruthi-1

KORG MS2000

KORG DSS-1

Cheers!

Good to hear Guru might be getting improved on.

You can find my synth definitions as follows:

Korg Dw8000 post70

Korg Hawk800 (that’s the Poly800 with Hawk800 mod and Atomahawk mod) posts 199 and 211

Moog Slim Phatty post 208

Ok let’s kick it into gear!

I will get into the tool and start developing on it.

Hi fluence, great to see GURU being developed further. I’m the guy who coded the initial synth definition for Waldorf Blofeld and would be keen to help testing new features such as new encoder types.

I’m almost finished with a Guru definition for the KingKorg synthesizer, but have been defeated by the changes in the sysex string caused by bipolar parameters:

For example:
Velocity Sensitivity positive values is:
F0, 42, 30, 00, 01, 18, 41, 02, 00, “25”, 00, “vv”, 00, 00, F7

whereas for negative values the second and third last bits change to:
F0, 42, 30, 00, 01, 18, 41, 02, 00, “25”, 00, “vv”, 7F, 7F, F7

I’ve tried all sorts of guessed combinations of coding to make it work so that the slider will go from -63 to +63 but without success. I’ve done a lot of internet trawling as well and can see other people solving this problem with other hardware in other software.

I’m wondering if I need some sort of - if, then, else- combination, or do I just need a value name and number for the second last two bits - the manual calls them “vvm” and “vvh”, but if I put them in the string it doesn’t work at all. Any idea of what code or otherwise I need for this would be massively appreciated.

By the way, there is a complete absence of KingKorg software editors on the net, so maybe this would bring more people to Renoise, currently in its 95% finished state this definition really opens up the synth, and to be able to randomise all settings is pretty amazing.

Thanks for any help.

Will you patch for Renoise 3?