New Tool (2.8): Overtune

I must be blind, but how do I generate a new overtuned sample with the latest update?? Can’t find a button for it :)

uh, I think I broke it.

(atan(X)-.75)^(sin(X))-.75

I can turn the instrument’s volume down to zero, and still hear sound, so I think the sample has gone outside of the wav formats boundaries? sounds cool though.

Enter to render and close window
Space to render and keep window operative
(also: Alt+Enter to save current settings as default)

Yes, this has been a “problem” since the beginning, the computation of functions like tan and such that have a tendency to go to INF and -INF at certain points is hard to keep within the required [-1…1] range by itself. On my system though the formula you give seems to work just fine. Sometimes if you get a value of INF or near INF renoise will accept it into the sample instead of clipping it. You can always fix this limit yourself by using either simply

clip(SIGNAL,1)  

or, if you want to have a proper sounding tan for some reason

clip(tan(X),1000)/1000  

this last thing is also available as function ltan(X,N).
to avoid it you can also use e.g.

shape(saw(X),29)  

now this is strange… Yesterday I created a little tune, that I liked and I wanted to quickly create some harpsichord style instrument with overtune.

So I entered this formula, not overly complex:

.2tri(X)+.5saw(XX4.0003)+sin(X2)*.1
(power off, steps 1, times 10, base a-0)

then, when i tried to save the song, renoise crashed completely.
I was sad and went to bed :(
today I could recover the song, by repairing a backup save of untitled/backuptemp.xrns with winrar’s repair archive option.
(I had no hope that this would work, but it did :) cool! )
anyway, I tried to just enter the overtune-math into another renoise on a different PC - and again it hung, when I tried to save or even copy the sample into another instrument slot…
can anyone confirm this? might be the 4.0003, when I reduce the number of digits after decimal point, everything is fine

My only guess is that this is about the naming of instrument samples filenames inside .xrns (aka .zip) files (first it’ll be in a temp folder probably). When you start off with .2, everything is the ‘filename extension’ according to windows. Then it (renoise) flips because weird characters appear in the file extension (and the file has no ‘regular’ part). That’s my best guess for now and I would hope it doesn’t crash when you flip the first term around like:
tri(X).2
instead of
tri(X)
Probably not the solution but right now I don’t have a real clue how to fix it. I’ve said in some other topics before how the sample filenames inside xrns would be much easier if they were just “Sample 00.flac” instead of “Sample 00 (Overtuned !! {…insert shitload of options…}).flac”.

PS, what OS are you using weizenkeim because I cannot reproduce this…

ok. nevermind. I could recover my stuff and everything is fine. Strange though, that it really crashed renoise on both my PCs. anyway, I am on w 7 64bit.

and then… overtune is so good. I bought some vsti recently… nice, cool sounds, shiny interface, but I always come back to overtune + renoise dsp.

That’s a awesome compliment and thanks
I guess it’ll work for a lot of people with a programmers ‘linear’ mind :P
I’m learning to program in Reaktor now though. Definitely a huge difference.