New Tool (2.8): Pking

Nevermind, and apologiesā€¦went through the process again and discovered Iā€™d set Pking prefs wrong

[s]New to RN (but not to DAWs) and Iā€™m having trouble here, with Pking v2.1, using RN 2.8.2/64bit on Mac OS 10.6.8

Iā€™ve watched all the tuts on youtube, rtfm, set the prefs of the tool [PK MIDI input=PK (MIDI in); PK MIDI output=pk (ctrl)]ā€“and RN [Device B=PK (portB)]ā€“as indicated, even checked my Macā€™s AudioMidi setupā€¦this is the last thing I can think to do: ask the forum.

Its quite simple, really, when I start Pking, the PK displays ā€˜Patā€™ and the Knob1 Assign lights upā€¦and thatā€™s it. While I can play the pads and trigger samples in an instrument (which is set to Device:pk(port B), ch1), I canā€™t start/stop the transport, or anything else for that matter. All knobs and buttons are otherwise non-functional. If I manually start the sequencer, RN dutifully displays bars/beats as it cycles around. But other than that, the PK is unresponsive.

This suggests the PK is receiving transport feedback from RN, but something is stopping the PK from sending commands to RN.

Any suggestions, or could this be a 32bit/64bit RN issue? Sorry, Iā€™m grasping at straws here.
[/s]
TIA!

A new version for 3.0 would be awesome! Especially with all the new feature. E.g. per sample envelope.

First of all I apologize that my first post is necroing a 2 year old thread.

I found a padkontrol on the ground in the furniture disposal place in my apartment complex, and there was nothing wrong with it (other than being an old piece of gear!)

I like pking very much, but I wanted to know if anyone had an older version that still had the step sequencer in it. I would link to a video but it was turned to private just a couple days ago.

I would really love a version for Renoise 3! Just some minor additions like setting one-shote mode from the controller or adding/adjusting adhsr would make an even better experience as the current 2.8 version of the tool.

Any really good an enthusiastic Lua coders interested in reviving this thing?

Hm. Well I am a programmer, with a renoise licence, and a padkontrolā€¦ I guess I could take a look. No idea how difficult it would be though.

Me too would love to see further updates of pKing. I get the feeling it was dropped in favor of padKontrol support in Duplex, but that seems to have been stuck in an early stage.

Hey guys! So what about that pKing version for Renoise 3.0?

Is it moving somewhere?

r3.0 update is essential

This silence makes me wanna learn to code :DDDD

Renoise 3 has such a great sampler, itā€™s like MPC on steroids, so if there would be a possibility for better cohesion with some sort of a hardware midi controller, I would probably pee my pants :smiley:

Learn to code. Itā€™s great fun, and super useful :slight_smile:

Yeah, easy to say :smiley:

Wouldnā€™t even know where to start :slight_smile:

Learn to code. Itā€™s great fun, and super useful :slight_smile:

Not having pking in v3 is killing my workflow. Is there a technical reason why this canā€™t be properly implemented, or is it from lack of interest/funds. I would gladly try to raise funds for anyone who port this tool over.

1 Like

What are the error messages if you just change ApiVersion from 3 to 5 in the manifest.xml file?

I donā€™t own a padKontrol, but it shouldnā€™t be too difficult fixing what might be wrong if we collab.

For reference:

NB. I am guessing that Renoise autoupdates simple renames of constants, properties and methods, but that it might fail if some native classes/objects are ā€˜cachedā€™. AFAIK there are not many changes on some deep ā€˜structuralā€™ level - at least none that would be difficult to fix. Automation access comes to mindā€¦

NB2. One obvious culprit is found in modes/samp_edit.lua:359-. These have been deprecated:
renoise.ApplicationWindow.UPPER_FRAME_DISK_BROWSER
renoise.ApplicationWindow.MIDDLE_FRAME_SAMPLE_EDITOR
renoise.ApplicationWindow.LOWER_FRAME_INSTRUMENT_PROPERTIES

And in modes/support.lua:37-
renoise.ApplicationWindow.MIDDLE_FRAME_KEYZONE_EDITOR
renoise.ApplicationWindow.MIDDLE_FRAME_SAMPLE_EDITOR

EDIT:
I tried to fix those here. Try it and let me know of any error messages. I hope mxb doesnā€™t disprove, even though the source code says ā€œCopyrightā€ :worried:
com.mxb.pKing.xrnx (34.3 KB)

Sorry, just saw this. Gonna give it a go real quick!

Whew, so i screwed up my MBR switching some HDDā€™s and just got my desktop back, sorry for the late reply again.

It might work, but honestly Iā€™m having alot of problems with the new Korg drivers for Win10. Until i can get the new drivers work i think iā€™m SOL.

OK, let me know when you can.

The tool should start in 3.1 now and (Iā€™m guessing!) generally work, but I cannot vouch for 100% of its functionality. Especially if it comes to navigating between ā€˜viewsā€™. And the instrument and sample section were changed quite a bit in recent Renoise versions, but if thereā€™s an interest we could probably adapt it with a bit of collab.

Hi, I just tested your version of the tool in linux x64.
The tool installed succesfully and then when I tried to start it from the Tools menu I got this:
Captura%20de%20pantalla%20de%202019-07-22%2022-31-48

sorry for the late reply again, but yeah, i got the same error.

Yeah, same here on my windows machine.
Maybe its finally time to learn some Lua tho :slight_smile:

Ah, i see from api 3 to 4

Apologies for the necrobump, I was just given a padKontrol and stumbled on this thread while playing with it.

I encountered the same error others have mentioned with patt_edit.lua using @jouleā€™s com.mxb.pKing.xrnx with Renoise v3, so I commented out every instance of chord_mode_enabled in that file. This seems to make things kind of work.

I can load one of the demo songs in my (freshly installed) demo version of Renoise, start pKing, and sounds happen when I press buttons on the padKontrol. Being completely new to Renoise and the padKontrol, however, Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing at all atm, so Iā€™m almost certainly just not seeing what functionality is missing yet.

Iā€™m out of time to mess with this for now, but if I ever end up getting any further Iā€™ll post about it here.

1 Like