New Tool (3.0, 3.1) : Stepp0r (Launchpad Step-Sequencer)

Really nice tool man! Many thanks :w00t:

Will Stepp0r work with the Launchpad Pro?

I don’t have a Launchpad Pro. They added some buttons, and stuff, but if they haven’t changed the way to talk the old buttons, it should work (for at least the old buttons).

Finally the new renoise version is out there, and the new Stepp0r version is too!

On this version fixed some bugs, and

There will be a video about the changes soon.

This looks interesting! I’m looking into getting a “creative” controller, mostly for use with Renoise. Considered an Ohm RBG, which Duplex supports, but it’s costly, and it seems the Launchpad is much better supported anyway.

Can anyone confirm that Stepp0r (and Duplex) work with the MK2? Or the Pro version? I think the MK2 is probably better value (paired with a LaunchControl perhaps) than the Pro. Would definitely prefer the newer models as they support a color spectrum.

Hey Mivo, I’ll check the development manual of the MK2 soon, and can tell you than if it works theoretically.

If it is not working and you are able to write lua code, there is not much you have to change to make it running, maybe 3 hours of work, I would help you with that of course.

I’m planing to support more devices, but for that I need to redesign a lot of the code, so it will take a lot of time.

But it would be great if somebody could say if it really works, or not.

I can’t program, I’m afraid! :slight_smile: Two and a half decades ago I used to be proficient in GFA Basic, Locomotive Basic, ST Basic, and early Visual Basic, and ten years ago I dabbled a little in Ruby and Pure Basic, but I definitely don’t have the skill to modify Lua scripts! (Though in a way that could be fun!)

I might just take the plunge and order a MK2 next week or the week after. Haven’t really decided yet, but Stepp0r does exactly what I envision, and perhaps that’d satisfy my hardware itch at a relatively small price (compared to the Push, Maschine, etc or standalone boxes). If I get one, I’ll be happy to be a Meerschweinchen for testing, if nobody else has reported positive or negative experiences with Stepp0r and the Launchpad MK2 by then. Need to ponder this a bit more, though.

Hey Mivo,

I checked the manual. The significantly changed the API to the Launchpad MK2. I don’t think it will work with the MK2.

Sorry dude! I also need some time to make some space for migrating the tool also to MK2.

Palo,

I’m contacting you in this forum because I cannot find your email on GitHub.

I added Launchpad PRO support in a new fork, called steppr0. Obviously all credits are YOURS (I didn’t touch the logic, only modified the MIDI data flow).

If you are not happy with this, please let me know and I will remove the source code from github. The new fork can be found @https://github.com/The-XOR/steppr0

Kind regards,

X:

Palo,

I’m contacting you in this forum because I cannot find your email on GitHub.

I added Launchpad PRO support in a new fork, called steppr0. Obviously all credits are YOURS (I didn’t touch the logic, only modified the MIDI data flow).

If you are not happy with this, please let me know and I will remove the source code from github. The new fork can be found @https://github.com/The-XOR/steppr0

Kind regards,

X:

Can you create a pull-request agains the development branch? And I will have a look at it very soon.

Thank you a lot for your Involment.

Can you create a pull-request agains the development branch? And I will have a look at it very soon.

Thank you a lot for your Involment.

I created a PR my self. Lets start discussing on it :smiley:https://github.com/mrVanDalo/stepp0r/pull/90

Will Stepp0r work with the Launchpad Pro?

XOR and me are working right now, to make it work also for the launchpad pro. Do you want to be a beta tester?

haha Meerschweinchen = Guinea Pig

I published the the LaunchpadPRO version of Stepp0r ported by XOR in the plugin area. The LaunchpadPRO version is beta right now. Would be nice if some people would check it out and give some feedback.

hey Palo … great tool … love it!

is it possible to make the hold time for STOP a little shorter?

is it possible to use the mode switch key (by holding them down - or maybe another key) as a shift key to add the following features:

• adding of columns or using 4 more columns per track
  • track navigation (jumping to the next and previous)
  • some kind of velocity rotation while adding a note (step) repeated. (for instance: holding shift plus adding a note to the grid once, volume is low (25%). Keep holding shift and adding the same note again volume rises to 50% … and so on. I think this could be cool and faster way to add steps with different volumes).

another feature would be nice

• holding down the pad of an already added note while changing an effect value, keeps the note and changes the volume/panorma/delay of the note only. (so it’s not needed to add a note again for changing - for instance - the volume)

hey Palo … great tool … love it!

is it possible to make the hold time for STOP a little shorter?

Thanks! sure! I will create a Ticket for that at github.

is it possible to use the mode switch key (by holding them down - or maybe another key) as a shift key to add the following features:

• adding of columns or using 4 more columns per track
  • track navigation (jumping to the next and previous)
  • some kind of velocity rotation while adding a note (step) repeated. (for instance: holding shift plus adding a note to the grid once, volume is low (25%). Keep holding shift and adding the same note again volume rises to 50% … and so on. I think this could be cool and faster way to add steps with different volumes).

Sorry about the 4 column limitation. I had something similar in mind. But … :smashed: I realized at my presentations that this thing is already quite complex. Every additional feature would make it more an more hard to understand for people. This is why I canceled some ideas, which make the plugin more hard to understand, … Anyway. I’m more thinking of a redesign of the low half and the right side of the pattern editor.

Your Idea of using time for volume would help to achieve that (very good Idea). I don’t think people use the effect row anyway, at least I don’t :blink:.

I’m just sketching now !Effect row is switchable by scene buttons :

• scene 1 = columns (8 columns)
  • scene 2 = delay
  • scene 3 = panning
  • scene 4 = volume
  • scene 5 = ???

pressing theses buttons will create some kind of time important step mode you described on volume.

another feature would be nice

• holding down the pad of an already added note while changing an effect value, keeps the note and changes the volume/panorma/delay of the note only. (so it’s not needed to add a note again for changing - for instance - the volume)

I know what you mean. Same here, had something in mind to do that, but never achieved to find a good way to implement that. I had in mind to use the copy/paste mode for that. Selecting multiple steps and change the effect should change the effect parameter of everything that is selected. But this workflow is quite complicated in my opinion. Will create a ticket for that if there isn’t one already :walkman:

Thanks for your ideas.

thanks for your fast reply.

maybe I’m wrong, but I think there is one button of the vertical round button line left (the second from bottom) that’s completely unused atm. why not using this one for a shift mode to switch to a second column page.

on the other hand I think a column and track navigation instead of having switches for a limited number of columns per track could be an big advantage.

about changing the “fx settings” of an already added step:
in the Duplex step sequencer module we have the possibility to change the volume of already added steps by holding them down and making changes to the volume at the same time. that’s a very easy workflow.

maybe I’m wrong, but I think there is one button of the vertical round button line left (the second from bottom) that’s completely unused atm. why not using this one for a shift mode to switch to a second column page.

on the other hand I think a column and track navigation instead of having switches for a limited number of columns per track could be an big advantage.

You are right, it is not used at the moment.

There is a limitation on columns per track already by renoise (it’s 12 columns max) so haveing only 8 columns shouldn’t be a BIG disadvantage (I’m talking about the plan I described above).

I don’t like that next/previous Track/Column approach, because it couples the launchpad context to tight to the Computer screen. You can’t see (very easy and quickly) what column or track you are right now, which is very important I thing.

Example : I have the Mixer or SampleEditor open in Renoise and fiddle around with some parameters. I want to be able to punch in pattern on different columns, this is only possible when I know which column I am in.

about changing the “fx settings” of an already added step:
in the Duplex step sequencer module we have the possibility to change the volume of already added steps by holding them down and making changes to the volume at the same time. that’s a very easy workflow.

I will have a look at that, to get an Inspiration.

Cheers.

two suggestions I forgot …

it would be cool to play the instrument on the Stepp0r’s keyboard with the current fx-setting (volume etc.)
and/or an option for playing the sound everytime you add a step (of course with the current volume etc.). :slight_smile:

a bug / problem:

if you have some steps on the first column of a track and the pattern is playing, the sounds you playing with Stepp0r’s keyboard will be terminated by the notes played by Renoise. You have to move the Renoise cursor to another (free) column to play the current instrument interruption-free with the launchpad.

I’ll have a closer look at the suggenstions.

Did you check mute grouping in your instrument?

Anyway, it bothers me, that it’s not easy to update the renoise cursor (on the colum) via scripting, so you can just change the column, for recording or playing (as you described it). I hope I’ll find a solution for that, soon.