New Tool (3.0): CDP lua tool

that’s what I figured :) , not sure how and when to use it anyway. Sometimes the total duration of a sample is needed in (ms)seconds for the max value, I reckon cycles() would need some kind of additional conversion magic for it to make sense in (ms)seconds.

Moarr future feature suggestions;

Would be nice to have alternative ‘Process’ modes in the tool gui imo, right now clicking ‘Process’ closes the gui automatically, maybe right mouse clicking the button would process but keep the gui open? Saves re-initializing all the time when on a soundhaping mission.

If too much work, could you make the tool keybindable? Can’t find it right now in the key-preferences…

Also an alternative process mode that would return the processed result as a new sample instrument, or added sample inside the source sample instrument could be helpful. Leaving the source sample unchanged and returning the effected sound in a new sample slot. Good for making variations.

Keep up the good work :drummer:

Updated to v0.23 - I have included the definitions up to ‘Extend Scramble 2’

Fixed the way ‘srate’ and ‘cycles’ were used - In future use these as before but without the brackets, so where you would have previously used cycles() now use ```
cycles

I have updated all the previously submitted definitions to use this format.  
 Also I have changed the way you can submit new definitions, I have attached a 'user_definitions.lua' file to this post (it's just an empty file). The tool will look for this in the same folder as all the CDP executables and if found it will also load the definitions found in that file. This means you can be working on new definitions and don't have to worry about backing them up when I update the tool.   

So put your new definitions in there and attach the file (or copy paste) to future posts when you have new definitions to submit. Leave the updating of the 'definitions.lua' file bundled with the tool to me, I will add newly submitted definitions in tool updates. If you have submitted definitions that I have already bundled but find errors or want to update them just include them again in 'user_definitions.lua' - As long as the preset name is the same, then the settings in 'user_definitions.lua' will override the definitions included with the tool.  
 So for future definitions:  

- Copy 'user_definitions.lua' to the CDP executables folder  
- Add new definitions or updates to previous definitions to this file  
- Post or copy paste this file to this thread when ready to submit  
- I will include them in new versions of the tool  

Hope that all makes sense.

You can work out the duration from sample length and sample rate, its really easy, I’ll add a function for this in the next update.

It shouldn’t do this, on my mac the tool GUI only closes when I close it manually using the button. Do you use the built in Terminal and Editor to make definitions? Try closing it before running the tool, it can sometimes interfere with tool GUI’s. If that doesn’t work do use any other tools that have buttons but don’t do this? I can look at their code and see if there is anything different.

Yes no problem, until the next update just add this code to end of main.lua, you will see a section for keybindings, just stick it in there.

renoise.tool():add_keybinding {  
 name = "Global:Tools:" .. tool_name.."...",  
 invoke = start_tool  
}  

Good idea, I’ll add it to the list

And you sir!

Cool! Did you have to compile the source?

Excellent! See my last post for instructions on how to submit new/amended definitions…

Nice!

Heh, it doesn’t close it at all when pressing process, my bad. Tool auto closes when executing changes in the editor :) .

Got it working, cheers.

attached new definitions to this post, bunch of these can definitely use cycles to seconds conversion.Attachment 4958 not found.

Is this some file access problem? I’m on Windows 7.

Edit: I have tried both mono and stereo files.

It could be a number of things… first of all, have you installed CDP on your system?

Yes, and I set the path to CDP the first time I ran the script.

C:\Program Files (x86)\cdpr7_cdp_cdprogs  

I also managed to successfully manipulate a mono wav file from the command shell.

Ok, great… can you try running the Filter Bank 1 effect. Does that work?

EDIT: Make sure you set the lowfrq to be lower than hifrq

No, I get the same message.

Sorry can you try again and make sure lowfrq is set to be lower than hifrq

Still the same. Get this no matter which module I try.

strange, exact settings from your screenshot work here, …what are your system specs / OS (32 or 64 bit)? Could this matter? Dunno if windows 8 handles these programs different then windows vista et cetera, administrator rights, antivirus blocking?

edit;

what sample rate are you running Renoise in the preferences?

edit;

found this on the CDP site;

I’m running 44100Hz sample rate in Renoise.

The 64 bit problem in Windows 7 sounds like a bummer, and reading from the text you quote it sounds like the fix only works for Professional and Ultimate editions. However, CDP seems to run fine on my Windows 7 Home Edition…

I decided to test CDP from within both the 64bit and the 32 bit version of the command shell. The conclusion is that CDP seems to run in both shells.

I’m confused as to what is actually going on here, especially seeing that the Task Manager reports the process with a ‘*32’ suffix when I’m running the 64 bit version of cmd.exe, and no suffix (ie default, what I interpret to 64 bits) when I’m running the 32 bit version of cmd.exe.

If no one here has an answer, maybe you can contact the cdp devs about this, they can share more info or fix, update something? Contact details here; http://www.composersdesktop.com/contact.html

new definitions;

Attachment 4960 not found.

Can you try the following:

• Locate where the tool is stored and delete the preferences.xml file
  • Copy the _cdprogs folder to your My Documents
  • Launch Renoise and launch the tool, it will ask you to locate the CDP executables directory
  • This time point to the folder you have copied to My Docs

If this doesn’t work try the whole thing again but copy the folder into the tools folder.

Let me know if this works or not.

This works. Awesome!

No need to try this, then.

Great :)

So it was basically a permissions issue, Win7 must not like other programs trying to access exe’s in Program Files. If you don’t want to use Soundshaper or Soundloom then you only need the _cdprogs folder for this, maybe worth keeping the docs as well. Anyway have fun with it!

Great, thanks. Will probably put it under C:\ then. Hoping to be able to contribute some definitions, unless Djeroek has them all soon. :)

heh :) , think I got all the stuff that doesn’t necessarily need additional inputs (extra in-soundfiles), envelope, breakpoint, text, .ana files to work out of the gate. All the spectral stuff is also still open, but needs pvoc to analyse & re-synthesize in combination.

My contributions can definitely need checking up on some of the parameters where the length of a file is needed (in seconds / ms or samples) as I sometimes just put in a number. Feel free to go through them and fix 'em if inspired :slight_smile: , but maybe first wait till Afta implements the conversion function to determine a sounds length.

Problem with this is that number of cycles does not relate the sample length in seconds. For example if you have a two sine wave samples but one 1 octave higher than the other then that will have twice the number of cycles even though the length is the same.

Anyway I have updated the tool to now include a ‘length’ parameter which gets the sample length in milliseconds (rather than seconds as I think that is what most of the functions require, let me know if otherwise)

I’ve not bundled your last set of definitions in case you want to update them to use the ‘length’ parameter, hope thats not too much hassle. If there are any other sample properties that the definitions require let me know before you do the definitions and I’ll quickly add them.

Cheers!

Ah I missed your post… this is done now :)

Will start to look at these soon, just need to spend some time with the wifey, she doesn’t quite share my enthusiasm for this kind of thing!