New Tool (3.0): Loop Control

I’ve added back the original attachment now. It got lost during the forum migration. See first post.

1 Like

OMGAWESOMESAUCE to the MAXimummmmmm! :slight_smile: Thanks so much taktik!!!

Dang, I haven’t given this tool enough playtime :slight_smile: , seriously rinsing it right now! Thanks again Afta.

Hey JTPE! Would be interested in hearing some musics where you used this. Can you post some? Would be interested to hear what an expert is doing with this. . .

From this end: Been working on building better instruments. Last night tied an LFO, custom as a one-shot straight ramp to sample length to get some of that grain-y, akaizer type sound. Put a keytracker set to reset the LFO. Not quite where I want the sound, but a way to get that sort of steady akaizer on a loop.

Nothing finished or worth sharing yet, I think music making in general will take some time as I’ll be moving soon.

Sounds cool, feel free to share some instruments :slight_smile: .

Good luck w/ the move! Know they can be exhausting endeavors, hope it all goes smoothly. . . and hope you get a chance to get back to making music soon!

For those interested crappy example instrument here

C->G keys are just different breaks that have been cropped/quantized. Key “A” has the loop control (with some other effects). Not, by any means, and expert example of anything but def let me know if anyone has questions. :slight_smile:

@afta8 - I know you’re out of the biz of making plugins, but if there is anybody who would want to edit this to make it possible to also work on non-looping samples, we’d have a glitch/crackle generator.

Right now, I’ve got the sampler playing back a super-short sample (about 1300 samples long) of pink noise.

Since we can adjust the playhead width and automate it with LFOs, what we have is a random sample playback head. Unfortunately, the only way this Loop Tool works is with the sampler set to some sort of ‘loop’ mode (forward/reverse/ping-pong). So, we always get noise paired with pitched squealies :slight_smile:

If we could utilize the samplers ‘no loop’ option, and just have the sample head be moved, we would have a ‘snapshot’ sort of playback. The head jumps and takes an aural photo of where it lands and plays that back, with no looping the segment. This would basically keep the looper from being an oscillator.

One would get all sorts of odd sample playback, no looping the segment, and wowee mannnnnnn… Right now, I get all sorts of oscillator action, which is cool for drum beats, but for microsound/lowercase/glitch - it gets very much into the typical S&H linked to oscillator pitch sort of sound.

1 Like

Ha! Love your enthusiasm dude! :smile:

Didn’t @Raul make something that would let you do this?

Would love to have a go and get back into it but time is limited… that said, it looks like paid tools are taking off these days so who knows :wink:

2 Likes

Yes @Raul did :smiley: I’m using it as I type.

In the latest news, though - the Rx ‘Start’ position is now able to be adjusted. This is EXTREMELY important for the microsound/lowercase/glitch/granular style of music, because it then allows for even greater random sample playback. To have this nearly built-in by using Renoise’s plugin architecture, it’s amazing.

@Achenar has created this tool that does mess with that. That is what makes the difference between Raul’s SMC Tool and Achenar’s Rx Markers Tool. I’ve been knocking on Raul’s door to see if I can get him to push it out. Achenar’s probably getting sick of me messaging him.

And I’ve used Loop Control for this sort of work as well, because it’s neat and tidy. A Doofer that I can just ‘slap in place’ and run. No pop-up windows, just attach LFOs and GO! :slight_smile:

And, as I am the most pesky-yinsky Renoise plugin beggar, well, y’know… Lighting these kinds of fires is my kind of thing. We have this sequencer that can do almost everything, it’s soooooooooo close. The price, the community, the encouragement, the help. So good.

I’m pestering @Raul and @Achenar to do this as well, because each one has subtle differences.

The reason I’m urging this is because the style of microsound/glitch/lowercase/granular is still so wide-open, so unique. Renoise is probably the fastest way of composing this style of music without coding, and without purchasing Max/MSP or fighting with Pure Data. It’s rock solid, acts as expected, and you don’t need to buy VSTs to make it, if Renoise can do it right out of the box. I don’t use VST/AU plugins at all, because Renoise sounds so good.

Alright, I’m done trumpeting for now. :star_struck:

1 Like

This tool is great. Thank you!!