New Tool (3.0) Offline Filter

Offline processing samples in the sample editor using envelopes is so powerful for sounddesign :drummer:. Although you can do something similar using the automation editor, it isn’t that quickly to set-up like in this tool. You’'ll have to insert a note-event in the pattern editor, add a (vst)effect, draw an envelope in the automation editor for a particular parameter, make a selection in the pattern editor that covers the note or enable autoseek and use ‘render to sample’. The ‘FX’ button in the sample editor is static, like a snapshot…perhaps too user specific or niche, but an envelope breakout box underneath the vst(i) window for offline processing like in this tool that scales the drawn envelope to a samples length in time would be great imo. *edit; excuse the minor hijack, got carried away fantasizing :wink: .

A start/end value for each parameter, so maybe a general multi point curve which is usable for any parameter. e.g. you could make a selection, and then define 0% wet at start 100% at middle and 0% wet at the end.

Also keep in mind (maybe you already did), that some parameter maybe will require a slight interpolation, so no crackles and less aliasing will appear on parameter change.

I was thinking of having multiple envelopes in a tabbed view so you could also select an envelope for resonance, dry/wet, distortion… I think this would do what you want right?

Offline processing samples in the sample editor using envelopes is so powerful for sounddesign :drummer:. Although you can do something similar using the automation editor, it isn’t that quickly to set-up like in this tool. You’'ll have to insert a note-event in the pattern editor, add a (vst)effect, draw an envelope in the automation editor for a particular parameter, make a selection in the pattern editor that covers the note or enable autoseek and use ‘render to sample’. The ‘FX’ button in the sample editor is static, like a snapshot…perhaps too user specific or niche, but an envelope breakout box underneath the vst(i) window for offline processing like in this tool that scales the drawn envelope to a samples length in time would be great imo. *edit; excuse the minor hijack, got carried away fantasizing :wink: .

It is more powerful than I originally imagined… the dry/wet parameter is quite useful as you can add subtleties and textures but retain an essence of the original sound… I’m surprised at how much variety you can get with just a filter and distortion.

Your fantasy idea is pretty good (as usual!)… I think it is technically possible to do it like this and not depart too much away from this tool design… you could have a drop down list that selects the effect and another to select the parameter(s) you want to automate. Translating this to something that can be rendered and loaded back in behind the scenes should be do-able, but perhaps a bit fiddly… perhaps doing this with native DSP to start with… You have me thinking :slight_smile:

I was thinking of having multiple envelopes in a tabbed view so you could also select an envelope for resonance, dry/wet, distortion… I think this would do what you want right?

Oh yes! Or just clicking the labels on the left, and the matching editor will be shown. So no need for having tabs. And “Filter Env” to “Cutoff”, only showing a slider, too. So you could do it in oo way or so.

Oh and then, maybe also a “dry” slider ? \o/ So you could use this tool also for volume changes.

Oh yes! Or just clicking the labels on the left, and the matching editor will be shown. So no need for having tabs. And “Filter Env” to “Cutoff”, only showing a slider, too. So you could do it in oo way or so.

Maybe, but cutoff is actually two sliders which sets the cutoff range so it’s a different type of control to the others. Doing this for each other slider with a breakpoint is going to clutter the GUI so I will need to think it through some more… I want a balance between speed and functionality

Updated to 1.3 - Added a presets system for the envelope editor, you can now save and recall envelopes for the filter cutoff.

See first post for the download.

post-4451-0-84810400-1522364211.png

I used a few icons from xStream for the presets controls in the GUI, thank you for some nice icons @Danoise!

Got this after clicking one of the new preses icons, the one to the left of the magnifying glass;

\Users\pluge\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.1\Scripts\Tools\com.afta8.OfflineFilter.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (afta8) for assistance…

.\Presets.lua:115: attempt to concatenate field ‘?’ (a nil value)

stack traceback:

.\Presets.lua:115: in function ‘OverwritePreset’

main.lua:485: in function main.lua:484

Hadn’t yet saved any presets or recalled one of the existing ones, just processed a long 2+ min sample with a hand ‘drawn’ envelope before clicking the preset buttons.

Thanks, I can replicate that, will fix!

It’s an issue when you overwrite a preset using that button, but haven’t loaded a preset first.

how does one find the newest version of this? is it in the first post of this thread?

how does one find the newest version of this? is it in the first post of this thread?

Yes, first post has latest version

Am I the only one that doesn’t see any attachment in the first post regarding the latest version?

With the forum migration all old attachments seem to be lost, perhaps Taktik can help here fishing up a backup?