New tool (3.1): Place selected notes evenly

Sure, it’s possible. It would be a separate function, but I’m not keen on doing it due to limitations in the API that would make its behavior look a bit ass. (The nice, tidy, flexible and consistent implementation would use granular selection for this, which isn’t available in the API).

Feel free to mess with the code, however. You could make a separate shortcut that only moves velocity values of the selected lines.

I like using 4 LPB for the most part but wanted a simple way of doing 32nd notes, or quick note runs, in legato instruments.

So, I put a few notes on a single row, selected the row, ran the tool… and it did exactly what I want.

Thank you!

4lpb is for noobs

just kiddin :slight_smile:

added Ledger’s feature request as default behavior for “place selected notes evenly”, if you want the original behavior then it’s available in the command “place selected notes evenly (by column)”

let me know if it does something you don’t expect

com.pandabot.PlaceSelectedNotesEvenly.xrnx (2.4 KB)

1 Like

Cool!

Missed this!

Thanks pandabot, will try it out.

@joule Any plans on updating this to include euclidian rhythms, and user defined functions?? I’m thinking fibonacci sequence or bouncing ball rhythms, etc. for user defined… Would be great to have these available as options! I realize euclidian rhythms are as simple as shifting notes to the next line if delay values are higher than 80 and deleting delay values, but still, it would be great to have them at a button press… LOVE the tool. Just cross-posted from another thread

1 Like

This is simple but brilliant and is definitely one of those ultra mega important tools that should be a stock parameter. Thanks, you have no idea how this tool made my life easier.

3 Likes

@untilde idk if you’re aware of this but make sure to check this out

1 Like

Also, any plans to add these two options: Distribute Notes Exponentially, Distribute Notes Logarithmically?

Oh… this isn’t difficult. Let’s do this.

A slider from “-1 to +1” that sets the curve? 0 is linear.

1 Like

Yes please. :grin: Any chance of implementing that euclidean mode? Would be huge

I have thought about that, but think that the UX would be very convoluted.

For example, even if you’re distributing across 32 lines, it’s very likely that the user wants to have another amount of steps for the euclidean generator (like 16). And another thing regarding those patterns is that the offset (“rotation”) is just as important. So even if it’s just a few parameters, it would be so unclear for beginners what it did (in the context of “place selected notes”) that it rather would warrant a new tool.

Also, this tool is “destructive” which makes it even harder to apply a generator concept UX wise. Transformations, sure!

1 Like

Would be great if you have the time and desire to write it! I’m sure many people would get a lot of benefit from it. Euclidian rhythms are trés cool, and an easy way to stray from the grid while injecting a lot of musicality/interesting rhythmicity

Indeed! I had a lot of fun with those, creating funk bass patterns when overlaying them with straight pulses or other euclidean settings. I even went so far as using them as a foundation for my theoretical framework, stating that any events in an arrangement are part of quantized harmonicity (e g, periodicity distributed with bresenham/euclidean).

I have a softer stance on that theory now, but still I believe that there are three effective shortcuts to creating periodicity:

1. Straight pulses (including nested tuplets)
  2. Euclidean pulses (quantized periods)
  3. Organic phrases (language has inherent periodicity, with intuitively driven tension/release)
2 Likes

Yes, I think I know what you’re talking about :slight_smile:

Early on, I slightly touched upon this (sound reasoning or not!) by presumably discovering something that I call “dissonant pulses”. This can be seen as an atonal counterpart to euclidean pulses, and works as follows:

A dissonant pulse (discrete dissonance) is a sequence where each event has a unique length. The archetype is a “bouncing ball” pattern - but the order of these events can be permutated in any way, so long as each event has unique length (e.g. minimal harmonic overlap). If you use the archetypical bouncing pattern you will get a rhythmical counterpoint that has a typical “techno” feel. So there is room for discrete “atonality” in the way i rationalize.

3 Likes

I’d be curious what technoheads say about the relevance of the “starting point” of a bouncing pattern. Is it just a matter of acceleration from an arbitrary starting point, or “should” it be synced? (to maximize this atonality i’m talking about). The bounce might have an implicit fundamental frequency.

Don’t get me started… The current DAW paradigm is from the early 20th century (the concept of linear recording, analogue signal flows and skeumorphism in general). Kudos to Renoise for standing out quite a bit, at least!

2 Likes

I have a long-dead project that generated Euclid rhythms, but as I said,
I never continued it because Reform :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I feel like I missed something. How do you use reform for euclidian rhythms?

also, that tool project looks useful in its own right!!

1 Like