New Tool (3.1) Sononym Integration (PREVIEW)

Yes, got it! Thx for spotting this issue!
I’m mostly on the mac these days, so it kind of flew under the radar…

2 Likes

Hey @danoise, what exactly are the future updates for this tool going to look like or will it just be a finalized stability release? Just curious, I love it as is along with sononym!

Right now, simply to make this tool so easy to set up as possible.

When it’s working of the box, great - but auto-detect is less than perfect, and entering those configuration paths manually is finicky. There’s room for improvement!

1 Like

A native implementation would be perfect :slight_smile:

apparently when having Sononym closed, searching in Sononym using the tool in Renoise will boot up Sononym and the particular sound will be fetched. the command line window will remain open though, and Renoise gui is frozen, giving the not responding notice if you try to click somewhere in the gui, giving the options to wait or terminate. Closing the command line window will bring the Renoise gui back to life, but this will close Sononym.

Ey what’s up @danoise ? Any chance of getting the tool working again in combination with Renoise? :sunglasses:

Hey there :slight_smile:

Yep, the problem will be fixed in the next bug-fix update to Sononym (next week maybe).

Note: it broke because of, well, newer versions of Chromium scrambling the command line arguments. On purpose, and on windows only :wacko: …quite a weird issue, so I’m quite happy that you noticed it!

3 Likes

Ah, sorry - I overlooked your post.

This (what you describe) is how the tool has always worked -
the tool will show these instructions when you launch a search, but only the very first time:

Important notice
Please make sure that Sononym is running before launching a search

At long as this is required it could perhaps be an idea to show this warning occasionally?
Another one for the todo list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Boom! :sunglasses: Works again with 1.2.2! Cheers :clap:

2 Likes

Beta tester detected!

Thanks for confirming that the fix worked :slight_smile:
A couple of more days and it will arrive to the general public…

3 Likes

Feature request for the tool :sunglasses:;

"Render to sample & search in sononym" keyboard shortcut & right click menu entry on note event selection in pattern editor.

Perhaps having an option for keeping the rendered result permanently or not (for if you just want to search for something comparable in Sononym not necessarily keep the original render).

Lets say you have a cool little melodic phrase played out in the pattern editor or a rhythm using different samples and like to find something similar in Sononym. I think this could be useful. Yep, only saving a few mouseclick actions compared to doing this manually, but automation for the lazy win!

1 Like

Hey, something to consider. But this got me scratching my head a little bit:

Because, when exactly would you decide that, nah I’m gonna throw away that snippet?
I guess I should fire up Renoise and try it out myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess my suggestion makes more sense if the rendered selection from the tool in Renoise is strictly used as temporary input for comparison use in Sononym. Just use the current native ‘render to sample’ shortcut if you want to keep such selection permanently for other uses.

2 Likes

that’s great idea :slight_smile:

I dont know if this is the reason, but i have symlinked my two big sample folders to .config/Sononym/

Failed to load sample:
std::logic_error: ‘trying to load sample data from a non existing file: ‘perc og fx/Zero-G Carnival Drums/Sampler Presets/Carnival Drums - HALion/Samba_Dry/Timbal_2D_lo-30-95.wav’’

I dont know if this is the reason, but i have symlinked my two big sample folders to .config/Sononym/

Thanks, that detail could be helpful.
I will try to recreate that setup here and see what happens.

PS You forgot to mention what operating system you’re using?
Edit: nevermind, I just noticed that you’ve shared this information in our issue tracker :slight_smile:

I love this tool, still works like a charm! Just wanted to bump this thread so others are aware this tool exists for Sononym!

3 Likes

Hey guys :slight_smile:

Just want to let you know that this tool is indeed also working fine with the newest version of Sononym, with one little catch: you have to change where to look for the Sononym config file (“query.json”).

In Sononym, the configuration files are now kept in subfolder named after the application version - so, in order to make this tool work like advertised you’d have to change it like this:

Old path: C:/Users/[UserName]/AppData/Roaming/Sononym/query.json
New path: C:/Users/[UserName]/AppData/Roaming/Sononym/1.4.0/query.json

The above example is for Windows, but it applies to the other platforms as well.

10 Likes

Nice! Thanks a lot for this. Sononym is the perfect companion for Renoise’s poor sample selection window (I’m sorry!). I’m kinda mad that I didn’t know this was available since 2018, so thanks @moloko for pointing this out lol

4 Likes

Hi! Exactly which file do I edit to the new path you mention?