New Tool (3.1) VLC Remote Control

Hi guys,

this is my first entry to the forum and also my first tool written for Renoise. I needed it myself because I am writing a soundtrack and needed to see the video in sync with my music and after some other softwares that promised to have that feature I started writing a Plugin for Renoise myself. Anyways here it is:

Github Project Page:

https://github.com/bneumann/renoise-vlc-control

XRNX Download (should be downloadable without login)

https://github.com/bneumann/renoise-vlc-control/raw/master/release/de.newbucket.VlcControl_v0.02.xrnx

The usage is pretty straightforward (Check the README on github). I have to admit I haven’t tested it to the fullest. For instance I don’t have a Mac so it probably won’t work there (although I told the code to :slight_smile: ).

I you guys think it’s usefull or find any bugs let me know.

UPDATE v0.02:

Added an settings menu to setup a default path.

Oy, could be useful B) , like to test this but windows cmd can’t seem to find it, probably because it is installed somewhere in program files instead of directly in C:// . Is it possible we can set the folder where VLC is installed so the tool can find it? Cheers

Hey! Same problem here, plus when I close the CMD windows I get an error in Renoise as well: “Failed to connect to VLC: socket connection timed out”.

Also, I could hear a continuous sawtooth sound, it stopped after closing Renoise.

Bye :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for testing. I feared that this might happen. I will post a fixed asap.

@S(S) Yeah this happens if you close the player and hit play. I could drop it silently but that would include all failed sent packages to the player. Do you think it is annoying?

Oy, could be useful B) , like to test this but windows cmd can’t seem to find it, probably because it is installed somewhere in program files instead of directly in C:// . Is it possible we can set the folder where VLC is installed so the tool can find it? Cheers

Wish granted. Check the v0.02. It was harder then I thought to get the XML settings working in Renoise. Maybe it’s a bug, if you set a property it is only valid during this session and lost after restart. I found a workaround so it is nonvolatile now :slight_smile:

Wish granted. Check the v0.02

Nice one! B)

Wonder if I’m using it right, or this is how it supposed to work? When I create a bunch of patterns in Renoise and run your tool, open up a video…playback seems to only snap/sync at pattern starts. So if I move for example from pattern 0 to pattern 10 and press play, the video skips to the correct position on the first line in pattern 10.

Leaving playback on in Renoise, looping the same pattern over and over, the video keeps on running, wont skip back which is what I expected to happen.

What is your workflow when using this?

Imo it is hard to sync up video frames, visual events to note events, if the video doesn’t update while you are skipping through pattern line numbers manually.

Or maybe this is’nt happening because of a setting in VLC?

Hey!

The browsing windows is a cool addition, thanks!

Anyway I can’t manage Renoise to play any videos on VLC, only the song keeps playing while VLC stands still.

Maybe this is because I use a portable version of VLC?

:smiley:

Maybe this is because I use a portable version of VLC?

Yeah I quickly checked it and they just say that the simply compressed the dlls. Anyways I will install the portable version hopefully this weekend and see if I can reproduce it.

the video keeps on running, wont skip back which is what I expected to happen.

The problem here is that I couldn’t (yet) figure out if there is a notification from renoise when it starts the loop again. I only get once when it starts after clicking it. I am also annoyed by it but my workflow was different I guess. I worte some patterns and arranged them to the video later on.

I will have a look into that and mark both of your findings in github for me. Thank you for the detailed reports, helps a lot! :slight_smile: