New Tool (3.2): X-Touch

Brings support for the X-Touch in native mode (XCtl) to Renoise.

It should be considered alpha, because the features, API, and default bindings are not final yet.

This tool has two parts, a driver and a default set of bindings (“program”). The driver supports multiple programs, so anyone can code their own logic in addition. It might ship with more programs by default in the future, who knows. The driver provides a fully observable model of the X-Touch, as well as an event system to easily register callbacks to events such as a button press, a fader move, or an encoder delta. I’m not detailing it more here as the API is going to slightly change soon.

First install

Configure your X-Touch in XCtl mode over MIDI, open the dialog from the Tools menu, select the proper MIDI devices in the dialog and press RESET. Your X-Touch should come to life. A click on the ? button next to a program name in the dialog displays the bindings that it defines. A click on the gear icon shows the configurable stuff for this program.

There are a couple ways in which the tool hacks the current song. One of them is changing the track color blend to hilight the tracks that are currently mapped to the X-Touch in the Mix page (see details below). The other one is to support the VU LEDs, which are off by default. To be able to tap a signal to send to the VU LEDs, the driver will automatically add 8 send tracks, and one send device where the signal should be tapped. The tracks and devices generated by the driver are filtered out from the mappings. This allows to easily tap signals anywhere, including for instance tapping between each device in a chain to monitor the gain structure (see Devices page).

You should refer to the bindings dialog for details. Here is an overview of what each page does in the default program:

General

(these bindings apply everywhere)
The ENCODER ASSIGN buttons select the current page. The row below the LCD select the middle frame view in Renoise. GLOBAL VIEW toggles the VU LEDs. The TRANSPORT section mostly does what is expected. FADER BANK and CHANNEL buttons move the X-Touch frame around.

Mix

ENCODER ASSIGN / PAN/SURROUND (default)

Maps 8 tracks to the 8 X-Touch channels. Select/Mute/Solo buttons, encoders, and faders all do what’s expected. The track name (and parent group name) is displayed on each scribble strip using the track color. FLIP toggles Pre/Post. A “popup” will display volume changes in the second row and panning changes in the first row of the strips.

Devices

ENCODER ASSIGN / PLUG-IN
This is like “enter the selected track”. X-Touch channel #1 edits PreFX vol and pan/width (if SHIFT is pressed), channel #8 edits PostFX vol and pan, and channels #2-7 map up to six devices in the device chain. If VU LEDs are enabled, the output volume of each mapped device is shown. Encoders select parameters and faders edit them. A click on an encoder in turn “enters the device” and switches to the Params page. LEFT and RIGHT buttons change the selected track. Popups appear on the strips to display the value changes.

Params

(Encoder click on a device in the Devices page)
Maps up to 8 parameters of the selected device to the X-Touch channels. Scribble strips display the parameter name and value at all times. Encoders and faders edit the mapped parameter. LEFT and RIGHT change the selected track and UP and DOWN change the selected device.

Sends

ENCODER ASSIGN / SEND
Makes using sends a breeze (no MB send support yet… It’s coming! Someday.) Maps each send (except sends spawned for the VU LEDs support) on a track to an X-Touch channel. Fader edits send amount, encoder edits panning, SHIFT-encoder edits the receiver. A press on an encoder where there is no send will spawn one. A long press on an encoder where there is a send will delete it. With CONTROL pressed, encoders move the sends around. The device index and receiver are shown where there is a send. LEFT and RIGHT change the selected track.

(I’ll add the device shuffling logic to the Devices view also. It’s just not here yet.)

There’s a lot more that can be done with this controller. If you have any needs or suggestions, let’s talk about it! The right side is mostly still available, more pages can be added, and more renoise can be automated.

Get the tool here dev.bl0b.X-Touch_0.1.xrnx (55.1 KB)

Please report issues on the git repo si I can keep better track.

4 Likes

Hi beublo!

First of all, thank you for your job :wink:
I just installed and run the program, but even i can choose MIDI in (X-Touch) and MIDI Out (X-Touch), on blank dialog doesn’t appear nothing (none).

I tried to connected Xtouch by MIDI and USB mode, but still nothing.
I have Xtouch connected via USB (I should connect it with a cable MIDI???)
and i should to set-up on preferences/MIDI/In device A — my X-touch, or just leave it on none?

Dunno what I’m doing wrong. Regards.

This is awesome. I installed the Tool. And can now control the motorized faders with the mixer controls in Renoise. However. I’m not able to send anything from the X-Touch. I guess it’s something to do with me connecting the X-touch through my NIKKS25. I have ordered a MIDI-device, and will look more into this, when it arrives.

However. A question. Are you limited to 8 tracks? You can’t browse left/right with the channel buttons? Remember. I have not been able to send anything from the X-touch yet. So, that might just be something I’m missing. But. If I open an existing track. I can see that only the 8 first tracks gets color blending.

Also. I did not get any VU readings on the X-touch

It should be working correctly if connected using midi cables. I am not the maker, but have used the tool in the past with success. I am slowly getting back to music and will soon set up the rig and test it again. All I can say is that it used to work with many tracks and I could record automation of multiple parameters at once, rather than one at a time. That was the biggest advantage I had found.

Realized I had to push the FLIP button for the VU-meters to appear. And. I also understood the 8 track thing :slight_smile:
I guess this project is dead. Seriously sad. Cause, this is really a great tool. However, not finished.

1 Like

This project is the best. Beublo is the guy who made this tool, and man, is it wanted. Only if it was possible for it to work through USB, make use of the colours and had no latency. Things totally possible, but no one would bring to life. What is needed for renoise is a nice hardware controller that makes automation as simple and easy as possible to edit.

I have not used it much. As I need better placement of the equipment to make full use.
The fact that it needs MIDI IN/OUT is not an issue for me. What do you mean “make use of the colours”? The displays reflect the colours in Renoise tracks with no issue. You are limited to the seven colours the X-Touch can show. But other than that, what I miss is light feedback on the X-touch buttons itself. Like the transport buttons and other buttons that are not related to the mixer section.
For me, it seems like the focus is for the mixer section. The rest of the control surface gives no, or very little feedback, as it is implemented now.

Colours work if tool is used with MIDI cables. But, I can’t recall everything, I am writing with past experience. I was in contact with Beublo through emaill, but also on Github, and I was asking for the mixing environment to be the first priority, as the X-touch would serve this purpose best. It clearly has a mixing layout.

The use of the two footpads is very handy as well. You can set which parameters you want automatable and write automation / switch to Read mode etc. I remember it does the job, but it has some bugs, so cannot be trusted. Would be awesome if it gets to comfortable usage level where you can trust it and be able to save and recall your work.
I would gladly, now, donate for this project. 50 euros to anyone who cleans up the code! with all seriousness now.

1 Like

Add another 50 euros from me. And you have a decent meal :slight_smile:

Just got “X-Touch Mini” for recording automation’s.
This tool looks great, but sadly is not finished.
Works with some quirks, but most importantly I could not record the changes to selected Doofer. Tested in other DAW - Instant Addiction.

…so maybe some other gear is supported (inexpensive - I just need the endless knobs auto maped to selected doofer) ?

For my “X-Touch mini” this tool at this commit seams to work best:
https://github.com/bl0b/renoise-xtouch-xctl.xrnx/archive/87f644f3bca60e67f4847909b6a7defefcad972e.zip

Tip: for recording automation I recommend this:
https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-snapshot/

1 Like